Thread: New at Being Retarded, but paying my dues...

New at Being Retarded, but paying my dues...

..hopefully now my thread is a little less painfull on the eyes...

So I stumbled across a YZF for super cheap about a year ago and managed to put 4k+ on in that summer, on top of the 28,000k I bought it with, and had pretty good luck the whole time. Thus, now I hate riding in cars..

..OH hi, I'm the new guy... yea I suck. But Howdy all, this is a pretty kick arse club lotsa good folk, I met a few peeps up in Denver at that one place, where you all go..on that one day.. So here's my bike intro and call for help. If nothing else have fun laughing at my skills..

nice site logo Taco Del Pink....

Sorry, SO.. it ran good until it stopped shifting into second. Cut to the chase... I dropped it when it popped out of gear after fighting with what I assumed were crappy shift forks at a stop light, and at this point the bike was not shifting much at all. Stupidly I wanted to show my bike to someone and decided to take it out "one last time..." yea i know im dumb. I was all pissed and couldn't get it in gear so so i was , kind of... lightly tapping the shifter with all my wieght, bike leaned over slightly, and it popped in gear while I was tapping the clutch to catch a gear (not sure if anyones fought with a crappy shifter..yeah its a bad idea i know..) ..well the bike popped up and to the side, then popped out of gear up on one wheel , saving me the trouble of trying to straighten out a bad situation and dropped like a dead fish on me. All it hurt on me was my pride. I wasn't hardly moving maybe 10-20, I had just taken off.
    I was able to ride the bike back at the cost of a new rear sprocket and chain I needed anyway, but the engiune had to be split to fix the previous problems.

I am an avid car mechanic (worked on everything from a model T to a Tractor) and I bought this bike to eventually pull it apart anyway, so here I am. I feel like ya don't really deserve to use something unless you can understand how it works. So eat a fatty all ya college kids riding on your mom's 2004 pocketbook! You suck.. you all just suck...

I am waiting for a shift shaft and the little claw that is attached to it that turns the shift cam (little metal finger broke off that the spring mounts too), and I have all new shift forks and it would seem the bike will be mechanically fixed. The motor was running great and started right up 1st try, right before I pulled it (ask pink taco about how good my battery is.... HA!) Because of this I'm not to worried about checking every inch of every part of the bike, but Should I?

Also, I am planning on replacing the rings but not the pistons, the pistons are within spec best I can tell (yes I have a manual and a micrometer). Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea?
    I want to avoid pulling apart anything I dont have to, but I was hoping I could get any pointers I can about rebuilding, and what to check and do the frist time I'm getting ready to ride it again. I've been reading all the posts I can find, so don't feel like you have to repeat yourself, but I'll take anything you got because I just joined and there are a a holy bejesus lot of post on this site.. So any old posts you can point me too would be grand.

Sorry this is a little long, but I figure I should be thorough or the whole message would be kinna useless..

Thanks all and The sooner I get my bike working the sooner I can bring my pocket bike and some beer somewhere for those who helped..

I do 3d modeling (my little crappy rover, I'll make something cooler when I get a chance.), web design and plenty of computer other shitza, so I'm happy to trade knowlede for knowlede if i can help...
    ...'97 660 YZFrankenstien bike....

nice pink rocket WHO DID YOU GET THAT IDEA FROM?
    "Without nipples, breasts would be pointless."

Its supposed to be my RED man rocket too much reflection eh taco pinker?- it was actually a logo I did as a joke for a company Rocket Star (like rock star) engineering.

Re: New at Being Retarded, but paying my dues...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojojojo
    Also, I am planning on replacing the rings but not the pistons
    ...and...
    I want to avoid pulling apart anything I dont have to
    These two things are a contradiction in terms, just so you know.

So I stumbled across a YZF for super cheap about a year ago and managed to put 4k+ on in that summer, on top of the 28,000k I bought it with, and had pretty good luck the whole time. Thus, now I hate riding in cars..

..OH hi, I'm the new guy... yea I suck. But Howdy all, this is a pretty kick arse club lotsa good folk, I met a few peeps up in Denver at that one place, where you all go..on that one day.. So here's my bike intro and call for help. If nothing else have fun laughing at my skills..

nice site logo Taco Del Pink....

Sorry, SO.. it ran good until it stopped shifting into second. Cut to the chase... I dropped it when it popped out of gear after fighting with what I assumed were crappy shift forks at a stop light, and at this point the bike was not shifting much at all. Stupidly I wanted to show my bike to someone and decided to take it out "one last time..." yea i know im dumb. I was all pissed and couldn't get it in gear so so i was , kind of... lightly tapping the shifter with all my wieght, bike leaned over slightly, and it popped in gear while I was tapping the clutch to catch a gear (not sure if anyones fought with a crappy shifter..yeah its a bad idea i know..) ..well the bike popped up and to the side, then popped out of gear up on one wheel , saving me the trouble of trying to straighten out a bad situation and dropped like a dead fish on me. All it hurt on me was my pride. I wasn't hardly moving maybe 10-20, I had just taken off.
    I was able to ride the bike back at the cost of a new rear sprocket and chain I needed anyway, but the engiune had to be split to fix the previous problems.

I am an avid car mechanic (worked on everything from a model T to a Tractor) and I bought this bike to eventually pull it apart anyway, so here I am. I feel like ya don't really deserve to use something unless you can understand how it works. So eat a fatty all ya college kids riding on your mom's 2004 pocketbook! You suck.. you all just suck...

I am waiting for a shift shaft and the little claw that is attached to it that turns the shift cam (little metal finger broke off that the spring mounts too), and I have all new shift forks and it would seem the bike will be mechanically fixed. The motor was running great and started right up 1st try, right before I pulled it (ask pink taco about how good my battery is.... HA!) Because of this I'm not to worried about checking every inch of every part of the bike, but Should I?

Also, I am planning on replacing the rings but not the pistons, the pistons are within spec best I can tell (yes I have a manual and a micrometer). Is there any reason that this would be a bad idea?
    I want to avoid pulling apart anything I dont have to, but I was hoping I could get any pointers I can about rebuilding, and what to check and do the frist time I'm getting ready to ride it again. I've been reading all the posts I can find, so don't feel like you have to repeat yourself, but I'll take anything you got because I just joined and there are a a holy bejesus lot of post on this site.. So any old posts you can point me too would be grand.

Sorry this is a little long, but I figure I should be thorough or the whole message would be kinna useless..

Thanks all and The sooner I get my bike working the sooner I can bring my pocket bike and some beer somewhere for those who helped..

I do 3d modeling (my little crappy rover, I'll make something cooler when I get a chance.), web design and plenty of computer other shitza, so I'm happy to trade knowlede for knowlede if i can help...
    Sorry I couldn't read your post, there is a rule that all posts must be less than 50 words, or contain 'nearly' naked pics of girls.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Dude... I don't even like putting gas in my bike. You lost me at "mechanic"...

However... I am with The Kiwi on this one... Nearly naked girls would improve all of our situations regarding this thread.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Better?
    Scott
    Silver CBR1000RR

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

Thank you

Sorry, bad web eddicut.

..So this probably a dumb question, Why t F* do the bolts numbered fur the tightening order on the crank case skip 19, 20 and 21?

Alright, your post is now very interesting, one of the most interesting posts I have read in a long time. Please feel free to post more........

Somewhere, I have some much better ones of her...

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Thats more like it, thanks fellas.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

..Somewhere, I have some much better ones of her...

oh yeah, I don't....

Loopty
    Yes, there are much better ones of her floating around the web...
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Her name's Christine. She's the wife of a firefighter in Georgia, who's a member on gixxer.com. She's been voted the best looking girl on GDC now for like two years running.

There are some better ones that were never released for public consumption since the ones on sportbikes and other sites were technically reposted without permission, and the hubby got pissed off.

Loopty
    SO um Ralph, can you email me the others please? djvandy21(at)yahoo.com Thanks man.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

I have to find them...

WOW - this is an excellent thread Very interesting!
    '02 GSXR1000

Loopty
    Quote Originally Posted by 600RR
    Better?

Just thought I'd get us back on the subject here...
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Dam - got busted by the boss - Then he comes back asking for the URL
    '02 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe
    These two things are a contradiction in terms, just so you know.
    ..actually I've popped a ring off on accident arready. Since there right there I think I could muster up the strength to change 'em.. You don't think this will help performace at all?

..oh, and if you find those pics...
    edwardnipplehand(at)netscape.net

Umm, what was this about again....
    Oh yeah fixin' a motorcycle
    It's been awhile since I've done any top end work but I think if you replace the rings without at least rehoning the cylinders you're gonna have some oil burnin' issues and not as much go-go power as before. This is because the rings need to break-in which in a worn cylinder they won't do. With the mileage you have I'd double check your cylinder and piston clearances and if you can afford it get them bored out to the next oversize and install new pistons and rings, get a valve job done while everything is apart too.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

I might have a source to get the cylinder board out- Any thoughts where I can get a deal on oversized pistons?

Check ebay, even if there's not any auctions check out the ebay stores of someone with an auction for pistons, they might be able to get them or check out dennis kirk or check with dealers to see if any have some pistons sitting on the shelf they would deal on.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com