Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sad to see, but that is reality

Sad to see, but that is reality

Reality or not, it is my perception, and perhaps yours, that more and more experienced riders are "hanging up the helmet" aka, selling the bike and gear, cutting back on social rides, sticking only to the track, etc. And, more and more inexperienced riders are joining us on the roads. It appears that the gap is widening.

It is kinda like watching the Race of the Rockies. If the leader is way out in front--that's cool but, we tend to watch the battle for second or third--where the action is. Just like we are seeing more articles and postings about accidents between cagers and newer/unprotected riders. Not so much, about those that are taking the sport in a positive direction.

This perception has even come up in my recent discussions with all classes of racers.

What to do? I'm not sure. Keep learning and passing it on, I guess.

Your thoughts?

~P
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Re: Sad to see, but that is reality

Natural progression I guess.... Its really always been that way... If I did the stuff now that I did when I 1st started riding on the street... Id be dead for sure... I admit I was one of "those guys" Not that I dont ride street... Im not hanging up my street riding... but Id say Im more of a commuter now than anything else... no more hanging at "the spot", cruisin, canyons and SUV dodging, etc........

Several reasons why this happens.... One realizes his own mortality, to many costly tickets, mmm possibly license taken away, and old fashion maturity.... As you get older you realize that to enjoy certain things you have ot take control of safety 1st, fun second.... Im sure Ive left many angles of your discussion out... but these are a few thoughts I have on the topic

Disclaimer: This was in no way to bash street riders.... There are equal amounts of bad riders and good riders on both streets and track.....
    R6-Forum's June 2010 Ride of the Month!

Sig. Courtesy of GIJoe007

Dion's Sponsorhouse

Sponsors:
    Rief Resources Media/Rebellion Motorsports /
    Lockhart Phillips / Factory Backing / GoPro Camera

Well, I sat out most the season sitting in stands (or at the computer) reading the reports of the all accidents and deaths that have occured on the public roads. I mean just feel safer on the track. I still consider myself a young rider with a year or so of riding, but I don't feel inexperienced. Traffic goes the same direction and there's no intersections either, or even as many distractions also. Although there are some here that have good arguements that I've gotten hurt more on the track this year but I'm happy to say I jumped up each time and walked away and even rode away. Should those same low sides happen on the public roads with traffic in both directions to include cars, I might not be around. Did I mention the cell phone use on public roads. It's scary to think about and to take to time to notice how many are on their phones out there. Just my two cents, can't wait to get my MRA license
    Last edited by pauliep; Wed Sep 5th, 2007 at 03:09 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Saw TT5.0's FS post and started thinking the same thing.
    The FOG forum is gonna consist of three street riders, a couple trackers, and old women like Krissy and Terri.
    (Ouch, I'm smoking a turd in Hell for that one.)

Ah well, all we street riders are SUV fodder anyway.
    I think the track guys may be onto something.

But who wants to live forever?......Really I'm asking.....Show of hands?
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

AKA "Devaclis"

This entire topic irritates me.

Don't switch to track only riding because you are afraid of riding on the street. Do it because you love the track.

This board does a great job of reinforcing the need to ride safely. It also goes too far. It scares people out of riding. YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DIE ON YOUR BIKE. Get out and fucking ride for christ's sake. I have not been on a bike since Monday and I am going nuts!! I'd give just about anything to ride right now. I pretty much live to ride. It was a dream of mine for over 30 years.

People die in the shower, in their cars, giving birth to babies, playing basketball. Maybe we can all sit at home and knit protective helmets for our kids with REALLY dull knitting needles and sit slightly warm tea while petting our declawed, neutered, rabies vaccinated cats.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Funny you should post this.

I was big time into sport riding and a bit of racing in the early 90s. Been on a bike since 1979(as a kid learning).

It always goes in "spurts". I felt exactly as you describe in your post, but back in the 93-94. Lost interest, felt the street was getting too dangerous, no money for the track and simply got into other hobbies. Got tired of all the new kids on the block etc.

Now I'm back on a sportbike. Have zero intention on riding the way I used to. But I am back no the less and enjoying every minute of it. Mostly as a squid commuter on my liter bike .

It really is just your perception on where you and your current friends are in the cycle.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

I'm giving it up because it was getting to the point where I was dodging soccer moms on their cell phones daily. I'm pretty good at watching the cars around me, but it only takes one screw up to mess up your whole life, if not end it. I'm actually not as worried about myself, as I am for my wife. I'm giving up riding so that she will give up riding. Just the thought of her getting hurt on a bike, or even having to worry about it at all just isn't worth it in my book. If I get the bug again, I'll buy a track only bike. Much safer, and much more fun anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    This entire topic irritates me.

Don't switch to track only riding because you are afraid of riding on the street. Do it because you love the track.
    Don't get me wrong, Boy do I love riding the track! I keep seeing that damn commerical for kawi with the guy that has like 5 turns in his drive way. I have serious thoughts of what kind of investment that would entail.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

For me, its not the risk, its the enjoyment.

I don't enjoy communting, its not for me. I do it every now and then and it just doesn't get me excited about riding a motorcycle.

However, heading out to the MoCo makes my heart race and I look forward to every weekend. There's something about heading out early and hitting the twisties that reminds me of the pure joy of riding a motorcycle. Same for the track, I love track days and it gets me excited to head out to Miller, VIR, Pueblo, etc. it gives me the sensation I'm looking for when I ride my bike.

Now I have wood
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post

Now I have wood
    Some reason I think it's not totally because of thinking about riding a motorcycle... lol
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

......Now I have wood
    That ain't wood! That's a toothpick!

Attachment 5292
    Last edited by Sortarican; Thu Oct 18th, 2007 at 10:11 AM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

the street is too costly for me. Seems like it's cheaper to fly down the track then it is to pick up a few traffic tickets. Even if I wreck at the track chances are that with so many experienced riders on the field I can get some constructive criticism. Not like wrecking on the street where all the witness have to say is "omg are you okay...you sob you were flying"
    If you don't like me I'll shave your cat, steal your extension cords, not limited to your multiple supply outlet adapters and raid your fridge. Please don't let this inhibit you from contacting me, just be mortified;-p

Very interesting posts and pretty much staying on track with the thoughts. It would be nice to hear from some more riders on this, too. Cruisers, some more racers (thanks DB for the input), how about the ladies and those who just ride to work each day?

As for me, I'd have to invest in a touring suit if I were to commute. It just is so much easier to hop in the truck, buckle up and drive away. I use to get the grief riding into work with all my gear on. I felt safe, but out of place.

The massive amount of time I have spent with MC training and speaking with and to many folks has also led to a change in my lifestyle. I now ride faster and what some would call harder, but with more finesse. Funny though, I now smoke and drink less, but with more expensive liquor. Go figure.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I ride track, I ride streets, can't imagine not riding street, I just don't ride with many people (less after every attempt ).

Danged if it raining again, ha. (inside joke)

Rider Workshop-USA

Basicly it's all a risk that each rider takes when he or she pulls out of the garage or takes it to the track. But honestly who consistantly thinks about the risk each moment their riding. Everything in life is a risk on some level and we all know that but who wants to allow it to take control of oneself. I also enjoy playing basketball and I've gotten several injuries and ackes from past and present some serious ones. But I keep playing because I enjoy it too much for several reasons. My wife sometimes says I should stop playing but injury and sports go hand in hand. Some might say that motorcycle riding is 10x worst and their probably right but what is the risk compared to the true enjoyment riding brings. That's what each of us must ask ourselves. Yes, there are deaths, injuries and accidents that we all hear about and it may even frighten you sometimes or put doubt in your mind about riding. But it's your choice if you allow those "fears" and "what if's" influence your decision to continue to get back on that bike. I've been riding for 4 years and should have started a long time ago but fear prevented me from doing so. I decided to put my fears away and at least try it and I love it to this day. I totalled my first bike and injuried myself and seriously doubted my riding desire after that. But it came down to the enjoyment riding gave me and how much I appreciated the comradeship that I see by riders. My hope is that each year the population of 2 wheel riders continue to increase. To bring awareness to the country that riding is as natural and as common as 4 wheels. That laws will be passed to protect those who utilize alternative moods of transportation. And that those who ignore the inevitable are held responsible (cell phone users while driving for example). Like most things in our society NUMBERS influences change.

I think is good to see new young riders.....we were all new young and old rides at one point in our riding careers....lets not forget that. The new riders just need mentors to teach them how to ride and how not to ride. Which is the major appeal and strong point of the CSC club.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I'll see you on the road with the same guys I have been riding with for 30 years. I'll continue to ride untill pigs fly.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Looks like your riding days are over with Nick
    Last edited by konichd; Mon Oct 8th, 2007 at 04:29 PM.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I seriously doubt that
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

DK made me laugh without mentioning Kawi's.
    Good One!

I started riding BECAUSE of the gas prices. I only have to go 7 miles to work each way, and against traffic. The bike saves me so much money on gas, that it pays for itself. But after riding for a couple months, there's nothing more enjoyable than jumping on the bike and just riding. I sometimes wish my drive to work were a bit longer. It makes me want to get up in the morning for that crisp, cool, beautiful ride to work, like this morning.

Now, I'll admit that It's only been a couple months, but I've already got 2500 miles on my bike, and I bet I'll have another 2500 before I put it away for winter. I plan to upgrade the bike next year, now that I'm more comfortable, but honestly, I enjoy riding to work, saving gas, and I can even say I save the environment.

I don't have any kids, but if I were to die while riding my bike, I could say I died doing what I enjoy. It freaks me out every time I ride, because I swear I almost get hit once every day. The biggest question on my mind is always "what if..." what if that car pulled out right now? What if the light turned yellow right now? I do my best to pay attention, but I enjoy riding too much to give it up for safety reasons. I'm just as likely to slip in the shower and crack my head open.

I crashed a small plane on takeoff once, but I still fly...
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    I started riding BECAUSE of the gas prices. I only have to go 7 miles to work each way, and against traffic. The bike saves me so much money on gas, that it pays for itself. But after riding for a couple months, there's nothing more enjoyable than jumping on the bike and just riding. I sometimes wish my drive to work were a bit longer. It makes me want to get up in the morning for that crisp, cool, beautiful ride to work, like this morning.

Now, I'll admit that It's only been a couple months, but I've already got 2500 miles on my bike, and I bet I'll have another 2500 before I put it away for winter. I plan to upgrade the bike next year, now that I'm more comfortable, but honestly, I enjoy riding to work, saving gas, and I can even say I save the environment.

I don't have any kids, but if I were to die while riding my bike, I could say I died doing what I enjoy. It freaks me out every time I ride, because I swear I almost get hit once every day. The biggest question on my mind is always "what if..." what if that car pulled out right now? What if the light turned yellow right now? I do my best to pay attention, but I enjoy riding too much to give it up for safety reasons. I'm just as likely to slip in the shower and crack my head open.

I crashed a small plane on takeoff once, but I still fly...
    Don Gunn, at T3RG, teaches a pretty darn good class about street riding. It is mostly taken from the motor officer's course--as taught to the MC cops. A good portion of the course deals with how to handle traffic.

http://www.t3rg.com/Classes.html#Precision

Professional Rider Training
    Taught by retired police motorcycle officer trainers Two days, 16 hours, $650
    This is a demanding course designed by former police motorcycle patrol trainers to teach riders how to get the most from your motorcycle. You will learn many of the life saving maneuvers used by police officers such as evasive braking methods and traffic avoidance techniques. Add skills to your riding repertoire that are used by professional motorcycle patrol officers.
    • If you can’t turn around in a small area and look good doing it…you may be ready for this course.
    • If riding near other vehicles and motorcycles makes you nervous…you may be ready for this course.
    • If maneuvering in tight spots means losing control…you may be ready for this course. Never be intimidated in a parking lot again. .
    • If you are ready to get the best out of your motorcycling experience…you may be ready for this course…and it is the most fun you can have on a motorcycle, legally!
    You will learn precision exercises that will vastly improve your riding skills at both low and high speeds. After completing the riding sessions you will have dramatically improved your balance and coordination on a motorcycle. Your ability to ride on the street will vastly improve after being taught many of the high speed evasive maneuvers required of professionals. Your braking skills will be refined in the course. Every exercise you learn is critical in real life riding situations that include danger, from the pressure of highway traffic to the menace of drivers who ‘just don’t see motorcycles’ on the road.
    You will leave with a much better understanding of your limits as a rider, so that you will be able to continue to practice the skills you need to improve upon for years to come. This course is ideal for riders who recognize the value of lifelong learning as a motorcycle enthusiast.
    Prior to this session, you must be able to complete a figure 8 and make slow turns. It is recommended, but not necessary, that you have completed the Basic Rider Course. You must have a valid Motorcycle Endorsement on your driver’s license. The class is taught on training bikes.
    Your riding will be evaluated prior to beginning the course. Instructor reserve the right to make all final decisions About who is accepted into the course.
    Schedule
    Part One: Riding evaluation on your motorcycle- 7am-9am. You must pass this pre-course evaluation before admittance to the class. If you pass this portion of the course, you will be allowed to continue. If you do not pass, you will not be allowed to participate in the course and you will be charged $150 for the evaluation report, which will outline the areas that you need to improve before taking the course.
    Part Two: Day 1 riding exercises- 9:30am-6:00 (ish)pm
    Part Three: Day 2 riding exercises and graduation- 7:00am-4:00pm
    Town Center at Aurora, 14200 E Alameda Ave, Aurora, 80012
    Fee
    $650, includes a $30 insurance fee

Rider Workshop-USA

$40.63/hr for some evasive maneuver instruction. Just driving in Denver county is almost the same and free should you not get in an accident,
    2006 DRZ SM
    2008 R6

$650.00 + $250.00 ....wow