Thread: Brakes resonating

Brakes resonating

Our 919 has this really annoying resonance coming from the front brakes when a certain amount of pressure is applied to the lever. It's not a squeal, grind or any other metal to metal contact noise. The rotors are true. If you're not familiar with with what I mean by resonance, think of a tuning fork being stuck and the resulting vibro-noise. It has made this sound since I brought it home from the dealer.

At the time I figured that the sound would go away after the break in period, but its still here 1500 miles later. Anyone have any idea what it could be and how I can get rid of it?
    Scott
    Silver CBR1000RR

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

I've seen this on alot of bikes, and if I'm talking about the same thing, your rr does it too. When the rotors and pads get real hot and you apply the brakes, the air in the vent holes expand and make the noise.....

I know I'll have some skeptics on this, but trust me........
    '03 cbr600rr
    '00 BMW 328i

I think he's right. Basically it's a high(er) frequency vibration caused by the gas trying to escape...

I have crossdrilled brake discs on my car, and it has definetly weirded out a few drivers/passengers in it. The car makes a hushed "buzz" sound. sorta like "zhzhzhzhzh" If that's the kinda noise, i'd prolly chalk it up to brakes being drilled.
    John in Boulder
    84' Kawasaki ZX750E1 Turbo (new project)
    82' Yamaha Seca Turbo
    77' Yamaha IT-400

I think he's right. Basically it's a high(er) frequency vibration caused by the gas trying to escape...

kinda like Ralph's mom's ass after Bij-J's mom is dont with it!!!!
    If guns kill people then i can blame my pencil for mis-spelled words!!!! (Larry the cable guy)

Quote Originally Posted by coloxj650lj
    I have crossdrilled brake discs on my car, and it has definetly weirded out a few drivers/passengers in it. The car makes a hushed "buzz" sound. sorta like "zhzhzhzhzh" If that's the kinda noise, i'd prolly chalk it up to brakes being drilled.
    That noise I like. The quiet "bzzzzzzz" of the pads gliding over the vents is the only noise I get on my RR.

The 919 on the other hand has something completely different. You have heard this exact noise occasionally, albeit of a greater magnitude, when a tractor trailer pulls up to a stop next to you.

As for heat, Im not sure thats my culprit. The brakes will make noise at the first stop I come to in the cool morning. Heat could only be a factor if my brake pads are dragging the rotors, which I will check for on my way home today.

I didn't mention it before but the noise only happens when coming to a complete stop, under say 5 mph. Any other time they are silent.

Thanks for the ideas so far
    Scott
    Silver CBR1000RR

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

My RR seems to do that if I get on the brakes real hard and then let off and then gently on again........most of the stuff I've ridden does that, I don't know what contributes to it, but for the most part I think you've nailed it....it's just a resonation. You could try some pads of a different compund but I wouldn't guarantee that would make a difference.
    '03 cbr600rr
    '00 BMW 328i