Thread: Is it just me, or.....

Is it just me, or.....

So, I've been running a message board for the last 9 years, and we've been using vbulletin for the last 3+ years. However I've never had the same login issue that I've had here since I joined.

Today I've had to log in 7 different times, even though it's forced to remember me... Just now, I logged in, got the success message, came to the next screen, and I was logged out again already. Had to log in twice in less than 30 seconds.

I can be browsing a forum, reading, reading, then I click to read another thread, and I'm logged out all of a sudden.

This doesn't just happen on my computer here at work, but has also happened at home, and on both my laptops. What's crazy is that here VB 3.6.7 is running and on our site we are running only 3.6.4, so that makes me wonder if there's some sort of bug in 3.6.7.

But of course, I have to mention it because other people have gotta be having the same problem if I'm having it on multiple computers. I've never been logged out of my board as long as I'm there every day, and I don't clear cookies of course.

So, is it just me??
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Re: Is it just me, or.....

Hm, doesn't happen to me, you're the only one I've heard of it happening to.

I wonder if maybe there's a cookie conflict with some other site going on?

In any event, 3.6.8 is out and we'll be upgrading in the next few weeks, so perhaps that will help.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

Ralph, I have had similar issues from time to time on the exact same thing. It would happen to both my M$ windoze work computer and the MAC at home.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

This has happened to me before in the past. With various forums...be it vBulletin, phpBB, Invision etc...

I found that it was a result of the bookmark I saved. Make sure your bookmark is to http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/ and make sure it doesn't have anything else in the URL, like a session id number, etc... Sometimes, depending on when you bookmarked it, there can be extra information in the bookmarked URL (or the url changed slightly after an upgrade), so your cookies and base url don't match quite like they should.
    "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid."
    - Soren Aabye Kierkegaard (1813-1855)

Ive had the same problems I will try the new bookmark
    Danny

See, I don't use favorites. I always just type the full url. I guess I'll wait for the upgrade and see if it still happens after that.

Came here just now, was logged in, reading this thread, I clicked post reply, and suddenly I'm logged out
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

hmmmm doesnt happen for me either....

06 DR650SE

Phloater, what browser/OS are you using?
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

AH HA! I figured it out. Everything works great when you don't have the www there, but it works correctly if you do. I guess the way vbulletin works is when you log in, it uses the url used in the settings, and doesn't auto redirect to the www. therefore, the site is setting a cookie, that for some reason works without the www for a short period. However, add the www and all is well.

Ryan, if you wanted to fix this, in the vbulletin options under "Cookies and HTTP header options" the cookie domain should be ".cosportbikeclub.org". This way the cookie for users gets set to the root of the domain. However beware, as if you do this, I think it will kill everyone's cookies.

Anyway, now that I know the way to get it to work right, I can deal
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Ahhh man, I thought it was using mozilla that feexed it. I was just gonna post about how sweet mozilla is.

Yes, I'm late for the bus....
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Ah, I'm glad you figured it out! Same thing was happening to me!
    ~Dank :Þ

Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute,
    but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!