Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Call Thread

Close Call Thread

I've been thinking about this for a little while and the recent Alice thing along with starting a new job brought it forward again.

This would be just a list of the daily incidents where something you did prevented an accident. It would have a description of the potential incident and what you did, if anything, to prevent the accident from occurring.

An example from this mornings ride to work.

Date: 9/12/07
    Time: About 7:15am
    Conditions: Clear, sun at my back and bright in my mirrors.

The two vehicles in front of me were making a right turn, the front one being an SUV. An SUV waiting to make a left onto 7 pulled out. I could see the front end of that SUV (from bumper to just past the front wheel). Since I could just see the front end, I was already slowing down as he pulled out onto 7. When he got out enough to actually see me in the glare of the sun, he accelerated and ended up facing east on the shoulder with the look.

My actions: I couldn't see the driver so I figured he couldn't see me, especially with the sun at my back. I slowed down about 10 to 15mph and covered the front brake so when he pulled out, I was already safely slowed and able to stop if necessary. I believe that had I been doing the speed limit or had I not been prepared, I might be having an entirely different conversation this morning.

Of course I'm Mr detail so whatever info you care to share is good. I'm thinking that the preventative actions might be informative to other riders for things to be aware of. And it should be current information as in what happened yesterday or today.

Oh and I'd suggest maybe one incident per post.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Re: Close Call Thread

And from yesterday morning:

Date: 9/11/07
    Conditions: Clear, sun at my back and bright in my mirrors.

I'm making a right on 287 to head north. As I change into the right turn lane, I maintain speed while the straight and left turners slow for the light. Suddenly a pickup with a cap in the right lane pulls into the turn lane and makes a right.

What I did: Basically I try to maintain surrounding vehicle speeds vs hitting it when this type of situation opens up. Had I zipped up to make the right turn, I might have been hit by the truck when he suddenly decided to make a right instead of going straight.

As you can see, some of these are relatively subjective. The guy in the truck might have seen me and wouldn't have made the turn if I were closer but experience and reading shows the folks constantly misjudge the speed of an approaching bike. Add the sun at my back and I think I in fact did avoid an accident or at least a much closer call.

Carl

Seems to be a daily thing for me, although nothing this morning. It happens so often that I forget what happened.

However, in my normal route to and from work, I have found those spots where people will regularly cut over. 84th Ave seems to be the most dangerous. I've almost been hit 3 or 4 times by people coming on to 84th East from I25N. They've got a yield, and people tend to rush across to the left lane of 84th to turn left immediately onto grant, or later onto Washington. It's a guarantee that the majority of cars coming off I25 are going to cross all the way over 84th. So, I just take it more easily than I would in the cage. Had this happen the other day headed home for lunch, except I was the only bike, and there was a minivan coming off I25, I was in the left lane, and she came flying over like a bat out of hell. Luckily I was at her back bumper, or I would have been hit.

Also getting on I25 North in the morning from 84th... there's a dedicated right turn lane starting from grant street all the way to the I25 onramp, and people tend to jump over to get on I25 at the last second, so I am always on the lookout for that.

Last, every car I approach to pass on the freeway, I make sure I can see that person in their mirror to watch for movement. Makes for safer passing. Or at least, I feel safer
    Last edited by Ricky; Wed Sep 12th, 2007 at 10:43 AM.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Date: 9/16/07
    Time: About 1:30pm
    Conditions: Overcast, little rain in the mountains

Coming home from Nederland I came over 72 to 93 and headed north to Rt 128. I was a mile or so from the bar (just to get an approximate location) with a truck a couple of miles up.

With a long line of cars approaching, I generally like to move to the right of the lane so that folks will see that there's a bike coming. Since I was on the SV vs the Hayabusa which has the head light modulator, I was a little more fearful.

So what do I see? A guy with a passenger (on a yellow bike) making a pass. I didn't really see him until I was just a few car lengths away but when I did, I stuck to the right side of the lane and gave him a wave as he went by passing the line of slower cars.

It wasn't a close call really but we were lucky that I did hang to the right instead of moving back over (I do move around in the lane to increase visibility).

Carl

Date: 9/17/07
    Time: 5:15pm
    Conditions: Partly cloudy.

I was on Lowell behind a big SUV and a pickup with a cap. I passed over 144th behind the truck. The SUV kept going straight and the truck is making a right into the Safeway parking lot. A blue SUV is waiting to make a right from the parking lot and oncoming traffic waiting to make a left into the parking lot.

The truck was 3/4's into the turn, I could see the woman in the SUV look through the truck cap and then look to the right as she made the turn. I saw her not see me and move out onto Lowell. I slowed and hit the big horn on the bike shocking her. She moved to the right to avoid hitting the big-assed truck As she shifted back into the center of the lane and was watching me in the mirror as I shook my finger at her.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    Date: 9/17/07
    Time: 5:15pm
    Conditions: Partly cloudy.

I was on Lowell behind a big SUV and a pickup with a cap. I passed over 144th behind the truck. The SUV kept going straight and the truck is making a right into the Safeway parking lot. A blue SUV is waiting to make a right from the parking lot and oncoming traffic waiting to make a left into the parking lot.

The truck was 3/4's into the turn, I could see the woman in the SUV look through the truck cap and then look to the right as she made the turn. I saw her not see me and move out onto Lowell. I slowed and hit the big horn on the bike shocking her. She moved to the right to avoid hitting the big-assed truck As she shifted back into the center of the lane and was watching me in the mirror as I shook my finger at her.

Carl
    Sounds like you are lucky. Maybe take a little time off the bike so as not to use up all your luck.
    B-King- no longer

Date: 9/19/07
    Time: 7:22am
    Location: Rt 7 approaching Erie from the east at the light just before the city limits
    Conditions: Clear, sun just at the top of my mirrors

Behind a copper pickup with the big matching hump caps on the back. A white utility van in front of him. The van's going straight and the truck's turning right at the light so he's half-way on the shoulder. I'm behind him and about 3 car lengths behind the white van.

As I enter the intersection, I see a woman in a red van to my right. She's looking towards Erie and not at me or in the intersection. She's accelerating and beginning to occupy my lane. I let loose with the 132db air horn and she jumps and about pees herself. I see her stop briefly on the shoulder and then start out again pulling out in front of a large white panel truck.

Even though it was sudden, I did see her in time. I'd already scoped out an escape route (no one was coming so I could move to the left and accelerate without a problem). The horn certainly removed her need for coffee this morning though.

Carl

I think you are on the right path here. Of course, there are no shots of female torsos and that would increase participation- on the whole.

Perhaps a beer sponsor to support the cause? Sure, that's it, for every 12 posts we get 20% off a sixer.

Seriously though, Carl, I think you have a good idea here. One that if read and added to by the general riding populace will help others "think-visualize" about what to do. That's the first step in doing it.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Thanks. I think it's a good idea, having just a listing of things that happen and maybe a dissection of how you avoided the accident. Heck, after a few months, we'll have a good sampling of places to be extra careful at and even things to be more aware of.

Even if no one else contributes, I'll keep inputting mine. Someone might glean something from it.

Carl

I'll toss in my occasional issues with other drivers.

Here's one, but it happened last year and taught me a lesson. I was riding down C-470 in the right hand lane when I decided to shift over to the left. I checked my mirror and didn't see anyone coming, so I started to move into the other lane.

Bad move on my part. There was a car in my blind-spot. I saw it with only inches to spare. To this day I'm double checking by turning my head to look for someone in that place. That, and I've added wide-angle viewing mirrors.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Date: 9/18/07
    Time: ~7:30pm
    Conditions: Sun down, getting dark.

York street at this point is a two lane road, with ditches on both sides. As I was coming home last night, I pulled up behind this guy in a beat up old honda civic. We turned left (N) onto York. He was going all ass slow, then suddenly started speeding up, went well past the speedlimit. I almost didn't notice, as I was just speeding a little bit. Suddenly, the honda starts slowly veering off into the other lane into 4 oncoming cars. All 4 cars quickly react to the car in the other lane, and I had to come to a near stop for fear he was going to smash into one of em, and I'd get caught in it. Suddenly, you see this guy react and jerk the wheel back over to the right lane. He overcorrects, and almost loses it on the pavement, then barely fixes his fishtail, and then is like normal again. I speed up to grab his license plate, cause at this point, I'm positive he's either drunk or falling asleep.

Had I not been paying attention, there's a good chance I could have been involved in something with this fuckin guy. He was all over the place.
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Date: 09/14/2007
    Time: About 7:15pm
    Location: Old Stage, about 3 miles south of Lefthand, going southbound.
    Conditions: Light rain, patchy wetness on the roads.

Coming around a nice blink left where I couldn't see up the road going into it, I see a minivan coming around the corresponding right WAY too fast and crossing the yellow line into my lane!

I was in a bit of a lean with my head turned toward his left headlight... I hit the brakes and shot straight out of the curve, up an adjacent driveway.

It wasn't as close as it sounds, but MUCH too close for comfort. The minivan never stopped.
    Jason
    '03 SV1000s (copper)
    '06 X OR
    www.at3am.com

dm_gxsr, I would like to know where to get that loud horn and modulating headlight you were talking about.

Date: 09/18/2007
    Time: About midnight
    Conditions: Dry, night time, very light traffic.

I'm heading home from my friend's house and the light turns green for me but little did I know some lady in a Honda Accord (Heading westbound on Quincy) runs the light like way obvious, I'm not sure if she was on the phone or something of that sort but if I wouldn't have been paying attention I would've probably been dead because she crossed that light within a few inches of just plowing me at least doing 50 mph..... I was pretty pissed for a few mins but after that I just got home and relaxed and just thanked God I didn't die.
    www.mo-door.com
    https://64degreeracing.com/

2003 VFR800
    2007 GSX-R600
    2007 R1
    2003 R6 Race bike
    2010 Ducati SF1098
    2016 60th R1
    2018 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100RR (Always say I'm done riding but the results state that I lied... )

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgreen View Post
    dm_gxsr, I would like to know where to get that loud horn and modulating headlight you were talking about.
    Check the pocketbook thread Pilot created for the modulating headlight and taillight (I'm going for the taillight addition). I can't find the thread offhand but it's here somewhere

I have the "stebel" horn. Just google it. There's a smaller pair of horns that might be better for sportbikes that I might have gotten if I'd have known about it. With the limited space behind the plastic, you have to be somewhat imaginative in its placement.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Carl

Date: 09/19/2007
    Time: 5:40pm
    Conditions: Clear, moderate traffic

I'm heading south and am in the right lane behind 2 or 3 cars. In the left lane there is a car and a red mini-van. At the beginning of the block, an old beat-up van pulls out into the left lane and chugs on south. Now the two cars in the left lane are slowing down. I can see that the guy in the mini-van is a little impatient so I'm a bit cautious as I begin to pass him on his right so I keep a wary eye on his right mirror where I can see him.

Suddenly I see a quick look in the mirror and he starts to swerve into the right lane. I hit my horn and he jerks back into the left lane. It wasn't more than a quick swerve and swerve back and lasted about a second. He gave me an apologetic wave I could see in his right mirror. I waved back on my way past.

Carl

Anyone go up I25 north bound from 470 during rush hour yesterday? I kept my distance from the cars in front (slowing up some traffic behind me). There was a latter on the road, and a truck apparently lost it's wheel as there was rubber all over the place. I couldn't' believe how much STUFF I had to work around last night!

Date: 9/19/07
    Time: 9:10ish

I'm coming home last night from Hooters. Go out 120th to Sheridan and turn south. I'm in the left lane of a 2 lane road. Nobody in front of me, behind me, or to my right. This A$$hole in a shopping center on the right decides to pull out on Sheridan southbound too. Instead of waiting for me, or just pulling out onto the right lane, they pull all the way RIGHT in front of me. I mean I had no clue someone would do that. I have to slam on brakes, lock 'em up and get all squirrlly (sp?). I blew the horn and went around them.

Honestly, There was NO excuse they didn't see me.

When: The other day
    Where: I-25 Vail to Denver
    What: Tired as hell from a long day's ride

When I got to the point that I was seeing things that weren't there, I was way past the point I should have been. I should have pulled over for a rest stop and a road nap. Did I? Sure, but only after a couple of moments when I was telling myself, "Hey, I know there not a turn there, but it sure looks like it..."

As for yourself, ever been there on the road? This, to me, very much simulated having had a few, say a few too many to drink.

Funny thing though, unlike booze that takes an hour for each drink to clear your body, this only took a 20 minute nap to clear my head. After that, I felt much more confident on the way home. I'm glad I didn't push it any farther.

Rider Workshop-USA

When: January 1985!
    Where: Hampden Westbound north of Cherry Creek Reservoir
    What: Me Hiding

Hampden is a four lane with a turn lane in the middle. I am heading westbound in the right lane with a full size van ahead and to my right. Essentially I am hidden from eastbound traffic because they can't see me behind the van. Well, a left turner waits for the van and then hangs her left in front of me!! She sees me and hits the brakes in my lane, I lock 'em up and get sideways. I am now thinking how I am gonna hit this lady, you know, try to jump, lift my leg whatever. She sees what is going on and punches it and I miss her! Well now I am sideways locked up, but I save it, thanks to three years of moto cross.
    I take complete responsiblity for this one, I have been very careful since not to "hide" from oncoming traffic. I move alot in my lane trying to show myself to everybody. My son says when I follow him I am always in one of his mirrors or otherwise visible. So after every close call you need to evaluate what you could have done better to be seen or be safe. Always plan for the worst and cover that brake!!!

Date: 9/22/07
    Time: ~2:30pm
    Conditions: Warm & sunny with a little wind.

I just got back from a ride and had to share this cause it scared the living SHIT outta me. I was going up lookout mountain for my second time today, just to get some curve practice in, and as I came around a corner on the outside I see this silver honda coming at me, losing control around the corner. I watched as his rear tires came loose from the road, and the ass end of his car started coming right at me. I quickly corrected and got to the outside, and narrowly missed the corner of his back bumper. I got control quick and was going slowly enough to come to a stop quickly. I watched him regain control and keep driving.

Had I been in my cage, he would have smashed into me. Had I been going any faster, in control, around that corner, I probably would have been going too fast to correct and get out of the way. I was VERY lucky today
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Date: 9/24/07
    Time: About 5pm
    Conditions: Rainy, roads wet, moderate to heavy traffic.

Where Arapahoe goes from 2 lanes to 1 lane, traffic stopped. I going about 15mph or so and was almost too close. When I stopped, the bike started sliding on the slick road surface. I even put my left foot down. I stopped about a foot away from the truck but it was scary for a moment.

Pay attention to the roads. A lot of the roads provide plenty of traction but Arapahoe specifically (and others I'm sure) has the slicker, almost tar snake like road surface. Allow for more space in the rain.

Carl

Date: 9/25/07
    Conditions: Partly cloudy, chilly. Sun not showing from behind the clouds.

I was following a large electrical or utility truck. Before the road, I had counted and was three seconds from the back of the truck. As we approached the road, the truck in front of him and he moved to the right to take that right turn.

Again, cautious as always, I was watching for traffic that couldn't see but that was taking a chance with my life.

Sure enough, a white or silver minivan made a right turn but I was ready and had slowed a little however a gold Taurus like car driven by a swarthy looking man was looking to the right instead of in my direction and he pulled out. Only my hitting the 132db horn caused him to suddenly look in my direction and turn farther so he could come out behind me. If he hadn't heard the horn, he would have run into the side of the bike, possibly pinning my right leg.

This road and the next one up are both pretty dangerous in that folks aren't looking before they pull out betting folks will stop rather than hit them. If I continue taking this route to work, I _will_ be in an accident. I'll be looking for a different route tomorrow.

Carl

AKA "Devaclis"

9/25/07
    Time: 6:18 a.m.
    Conditions, dry, cool, moderate traffic

Passing under I25 headed east on Belleview in the left through lane. White Toyota Camry exiting I25 North blew red light at intersection to Belleview and made illegal right turn in front of me. I was slowed since I know that is a wicked intersection. As soon as the person was in front of me, and saw my high beams, they waved to me. Pulled up next to them at DTC and Belleview and they rolled down their window and apologized. I let them know I have a wife and two kids and they would love it if I made it home alive today. They said "I know, sorry man, my bad" Good call, that makes me feel a lot better.

Called tag into *CSP
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!