I've been thinking about this for a little while and the recent Alice thing along with starting a new job brought it forward again.

This would be just a list of the daily incidents where something you did prevented an accident. It would have a description of the potential incident and what you did, if anything, to prevent the accident from occurring.

An example from this mornings ride to work.

Date: 9/12/07
Time: About 7:15am
Conditions: Clear, sun at my back and bright in my mirrors.

The two vehicles in front of me were making a right turn, the front one being an SUV. An SUV waiting to make a left onto 7 pulled out. I could see the front end of that SUV (from bumper to just past the front wheel). Since I could just see the front end, I was already slowing down as he pulled out onto 7. When he got out enough to actually see me in the glare of the sun, he accelerated and ended up facing east on the shoulder with the look.

My actions: I couldn't see the driver so I figured he couldn't see me, especially with the sun at my back. I slowed down about 10 to 15mph and covered the front brake so when he pulled out, I was already safely slowed and able to stop if necessary. I believe that had I been doing the speed limit or had I not been prepared, I might be having an entirely different conversation this morning.

Of course I'm Mr detail so whatever info you care to share is good. I'm thinking that the preventative actions might be informative to other riders for things to be aware of. And it should be current information as in what happened yesterday or today.

Oh and I'd suggest maybe one incident per post.

Carl