Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910

Thread: Close Call Thread

Re: Close Call Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Sure, you or I probably wouldn't have been in the left lane if we knew we were making a right hand turn up ahead, but he wasn't in the "wrong" lane - the "Keep Right Except To Pass" law only applies on highways:
    It would be nice if they would fucking enforce it every now and then. They enacted the law and thats was it. I have never seen any one pulled over for it. The strech of 25 between COS and CR is the worst for dumbasses staying in the left lane doing 60 or below. But then again most cagers in this state need to learn how to read the damn speed limit sign to begin with. They either do 10-15 under or 15-25 over.
    2007 Honda 919 aka CB900F/Hornet
    1981 Kawasaki GPz550
    1967 Norton Atlas

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
    It would be nice if they would fucking enforce it every now and then.
    +1000
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Senior Member cptschlongenheimer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 07919Dave View Post
    It would be nice if they would fucking enforce it every now and then... I have never seen any one pulled over for it...
    +1 bajillion!

Last week I saw a trooper light up a prick who was camped out doing 60 in the left lane on hwy36 (65 mph zone). As soon as the dumbass got to the right, the trooper shut 'em off and passed... WTF??!

The penalty for improperly using the left lane is equivalent to speeding 20 MPH over the limit. Is it that much easier to write a speeding citation?
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    The penalty for improperly using the left lane is equivalent to speeding 20 MPH over the limit. Is it that much easier to write a speeding citation?
    It might just be easier to prove the speeding (or more likely that the offender will try and fight a left lane violation).

Quote Originally Posted by cptschlongenheimer View Post
    Last week I saw a trooper light up a prick who was camped out doing 60 in the left lane on hwy36 (65 mph zone). As soon as the dumbass got to the right, the trooper shut 'em off and passed... WTF??!
    AFAIC, it doesn't matter if you're doing 5 under or 20 over in the left lane, if there's nobody in the right lane that you're in the process of passing, you're in the wrong lane.
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
    R.I.P. 502

I was just pissed that the cop didn't follow up and write the citation or at least inconvenience them with a traffic stop and a warning. (to drive home the "keep right" message)

IMO if they enforced the right lane law even half as aggressively as they do speed limits, a fair amount of road congestion would be alleviated as would the things that go with it (road rage, pollution, accidents)
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Sure, you or I probably wouldn't have been in the left lane if we knew we were making a right hand turn up ahead, but he wasn't in the "wrong" lane - the "Keep Right Except To Pass" law only applies on highways:
    I'm well aware of the law. It was a joke since there really was nobody to blame for the incident. But I must say I don't like people who cruise for ten blocks in the left lane and then last minute squeeze (especially during traffic) to the right to make a turn.
    George Mock | 2008 ZX6R | GoPro Hero | 3:551 5806

Since I've just returned from a trip and saw this thread, thought I'd share my close call in western Colorado.

Date: 09/19/2011
    Time: 3:30 PM
    Conditions: Clear, moderate traffic, numerous big vehicles

Found this intersection on Google Maps. If it isn't the exact one, its pretty darn close: http://g.co/maps/dtz3m

Southbound on CO-491, 65 MPH speed limit, one lane in each direction. I'm flowing with traffic at or just above the limit. Vehicle ahead of me with a good space cushion, no traffic behind me. Northbound traffic is an RV leading an assortment of vehicles, off in the distance. On the right, residential road with a stop sign and a car obviously waiting to turn left. As soon as the vehicle ahead of me passes the intersection, the left-turner pulls out in front of me.

What I did: Began braking and beeping horn, long on, short off, then beep long again. Don't remember how much braking pressure I applied. The car stopped dead in my lane, petrified. I realized I wouldn't be able to stop in time, and that the oncoming lane was clear for a few more seconds. Swerved into the oncoming lane, around the car. Pretty sure the RV braked to give me additional room.

What I could have done better: Stopped to eat. Didn't like the looks of the restaurant in Dove Creek, but I could have eaten stuff I had packed in my luggage or got something quick at the gas station. Consequently, I was feeling slow, tired, and hungry. I think this lead to all other errors that followed, such as: not covering the front brake, not being more wary of a left-turner, not turning on the high beam for additional visibility, not being aware of how much front brake pressure I was applying, etc.
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

Damn... that could've ended a LOT worse!! Glad it didn't. Did you buy a lottery ticket?

Quote Originally Posted by Vellos View Post
    I'm well aware of the law. It was a joke since there really was nobody to blame for the incident. But I must say I don't like people who cruise for ten blocks in the left lane and then last minute squeeze (especially during traffic) to the right to make a turn.
    Ah, sarcasm.
    Last edited by Spiderman; Wed Sep 21st, 2011 at 01:54 AM.
    R.I.P. 502

Quote Originally Posted by LivingPools View Post
    Since I've just returned from a trip and saw this thread, thought I'd share my close call in western Colorado.
    Thank God they didn't really panic after they stopped try to make the turn after you had to go in the wrong side of traffic.
    One man can change the world...with enough ammunition
    2012 Yamaha R1 Raven
    2009 Yamaha XV1900
    Couple of LS 5.3 GMT800 rigs

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPaw View Post
    Thank God they didn't really panic after they stopped try to make the turn after you had to go in the wrong side of traffic.
    Agreed, pretty lucky thing all the way around. Ideally I would have taken action to be noticed or been on the ball enough to completely stop before reaching the turning car.
    2015 KTM 1290R (Black)

Thats happened to me more than a couple times.... never any fun, for sure. Definitely one of those things that'll pucker the 'ol poop shoot!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

YOURE NOT EVEN MY REAL DAD!

Date: 9/24/11
    Time: Around Noon

Me and my friend just got done riding up canyon and made a quick pit stop in Nederland so he can fuel up before we made our way to Blackhawk. On our way out out of the gas station, a silver Subaru Impreza Hatch cut us off at the roundabout. I didn't think of it of anything at that moment but a female driver must have been in a hurry to get somewhere so we just cruised behind them. We give the driver a 4 second lead and were just going at the normal speed limit. Then out of nowhere the freaking driver just hits their brakes out of nowhere! Even with 4 seconds we didn't have enough time to slow our bikes down and i was leading. I locked up my rear brakes and doing so helped me scoot to the right side of the Subaru before i regained control of my bike and was able to pass on the left. I honestly thought I was gonna go down or slam into the Subaru. My buddy thought i was going down and went to the right of the Subaru and ended up having to lane split between the Subaru and an oncoming SUV. The freaking driver of the Subaru was about to miss their turn onto HWY 132 and slammed on their brakes. We ended up pulling over about a 1/2 mile up and had to shake it off and check my bikes rear tires. Stupid driver, they need to pay more attention around them and signal and brake with enough time to let people behind them know they are going to turn.

The lesson here should be defensive riding, not hoping all other drivers will suddenly become competent. In that same traffic circle one day I had one driver stop in the middle of the circle and wave at me to enter ahead of her, then at the next leg of it another car entered and cut me off. They both had it completely backwards.
    Now you said you were four seconds back from that Subaru. That is an eternity - well, about 20 car lengths at 50 mph. If that were true you should have had no problem.
    As I read in a motorcycle magazine once, the key to survival is to treat every car driver like motorcycle-hating homicidal maniac. Assume they will try to kill you the second you let your guard down. That may be extreme and detract from your riding pleasure, but practicing it to some degree will help you avoid incidents like you had.
    Ciao

Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    The lesson here should be defensive riding, not hoping all other drivers will suddenly become competent. In that same traffic circle one day I had one driver stop in the middle of the circle and wave at me to enter ahead of her, then at the next leg of it another car entered and cut me off. They both had it completely backwards.
    Now you said you were four seconds back from that Subaru. That is an eternity - well, about 20 car lengths at 50 mph. If that were true you should have had no problem.
    As I read in a motorcycle magazine once, the key to survival is to treat every car driver like motorcycle-hating homicidal maniac. Assume they will try to kill you the second you let your guard down. That may be extreme and detract from your riding pleasure, but practicing it to some degree will help you avoid incidents like you had.

Agreed. well put!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

+1 That's the way you gotta think to stay "ahead", or at least not dead.
    '16 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
    '12 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '08 Kawasaki Concours14 -
    Sold
    '05 Suzuki SV1000S - Sold
    '07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 - Sold

thanks for the advice. I'll start watching out more often.
    2003 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R

"To become old and wise, you must first be young and stupid." ~Optimus Prime

Had an interesting evening on the bike yesterday. Dont know if it was "national idiots driving day" or what....?

So, its about 615-630 ish, tail end of rush hour. Im headed to the Hooters on the north side of town to take my room mate a costume she forgot (yes, my room mate is a hooters girl. No, I wont share). Im headed northbound on i25, moderate traffic levels, nothing crazy. Im in the left hand lane, near the inner stripe, riding next to a family filled minivan. As I pull up next to the van, I can see the driver is talking on his cell phone, which immediately makes me more attentive of course. So, I decide to pull up next to the window while waiting for an opening to safely get around and away from him, figuring he'll surely see/hear me. Well, I was wrong. After riding next to him for maybe 45 seconds, I notice the fan starting to merge on top of me. I start to honk, and go toward the shoulder with no success in getting his attention, at all. In fact, he's looking into the right lane, merging left.....(read:idiot). Long story short, there is now a size 11, alpinestars f1 shaped dent on his drivers door.

Anywho, chaos/death/destruction averted, I continue on my trek northward to the land of chicken wings, boobies, and bums. As Im turning onto the street where Hooters is, I notice a pickup truck about 75yds in front of me, attempting to make a left turn accross traffic in front of me. I cover the brake, just in case, and sure as sheit idiot #2 pulls right out in front of me. all the while making eye contact with me, SMILING, and pulling out in front of another car traveling in the opposite direction. Needless to say, I told him he was #1, and continued on.

Im looking forward to chicken, beer, boobies and bum now. And hoping its worth the trouble of nearly becoming a hood ornament, twice.

So, I made it to Hooters successfully. I've enjoyed my free beer and boneless wings, and turns out the dangerous trek was definitely worth the gold at the end of the rainbow. Now, its time to make the journey back to my end of town.

As Im leaving, a friend calls me, and says he's at the tattoo shop getting some ink done. The artist thats doing it, is a family friend and my artist as well, so I figure, "what the hell, I'll stop by and watch him squirm a bit". I jump back on i25, head down to uintah, jump off and hit the shop on union/boulder. On my way home from leaving, Im southbound on Union just past Memorial park setting up to go through a fun s-turn like section. As I scan ahead a bit, I see a dually, with a trailor, looking like he wants to pull out(this guy is also turning left, accross traffic. Just like the other guy earlier on). SURE ENOUGH! Idiot #3, very, VERY slowly starts inching his way out into the street, slowly enough that he even has the time to smile, and wave at me (you know, they typical "It's ok! Im an idiot!" wave so many people do when they cant drive, as if that makes it ok. As a result of him pulling out, I wound up in a dead stop in the middle of the street, along with a few other cars also traveling my direction, and the opposite alike. When I think about it, I realize im somewhat lucky the rest of traffic was paying attention. Had they not been, I could have very easily been hit from behind, pushed into/under the dually/trailer combo, and nothing more than a stain on the asphalt....

Like I said, an interesting night.... to say the least.

Now, Im not an idiot rider, I dont speed like crazy and all that, ride like im invisible, constantly keep my brake levers covered, constantly scan ahead, ride with my brights on, etc..... Just proof that if you arent on your game paying attention, you could wind up on the bad end of a situation.

Ride safe everyone, keep it sticky side down!
    '02 Yamaha FZ1(SOLD)
    '06 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote Originally Posted by FZjake719 View Post
    Had an interesting evening on the bike yesterday. Dont know if it was "national idiots driving day" or what....?
    God, it sure seemed like it! I had my right of way taken an inexplicable number of times yesterday.
    89 EX500 RIP
    06 R6S RIP
    03 R6

9/27/11
    Approx 8:30 am
    Westbound on 18th St in the City Park West neighborhood

18th street is one of the major veins into downtown and it gets very busy during rush hour.

I was in the center lane and noticed a car in the right lane about a half a block up the road was turning right at the next intersection. Two or three cars were behind the turning car and were slowing as they came up to the turning car.

Thinking that one of them may suddenly change lanes to go around, I slowed to 15 or 20 mph. And, sure enough, one of the cars swerved into my lane less than a half car length in front of me. I beeped the horn and I could see the surprise in his eyes when he looked in the rearview.

What was really frustrating was that, after he swerved into my lane, he proceeded to drive 10 mph below the speed limit for several blocks until I could finally go around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    ...84th Ave seems to be the most dangerous. I've almost been hit 3 or 4 times by people coming on to 84th East from I25N. They've got a yield, and people tend to rush across to the left lane of 84th...
    I am pretty sure there is NOT a yield sign for traffic coming from the off ramp.

I point that out just so that others are aware. The problem is definitely the drivers who cut straight across to the left lane without looking and I am not trying to suggest otherwise.

Wink Re: Close Call Thread

Quote Originally Posted by CraigB View Post
    I am pretty sure there is NOT a yield sign for traffic coming from the off ramp.
    Back then (2007) there was, it has since been removed but it was there until about 2010, a car took it down in an accident there and they just never replaced it!

But very much agree that area is one of those spots for sure. I try to avoid it as much as possible.
    €~~~ Ramon Uribe ~~~€. 2011 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R (Current 2019)

-"CSC Community" Trailer - Is Available As Of (Stolen!!!!!!!) FML - @ My Home
    720-475-6984

Quote Originally Posted by DemonRider View Post
    Back then (2007) there was, it has since been removed but it was there until about 2010, a car took it down in an accident there and they just never replaced it!

But very much agree that area is one of those spots for sure. I try to avoid it as much as possible.
    Ah, that's what I get for replying to a post that's 4 yrs old. Didn't notice the date on it. And, I didn't realize there was once a sign there.

Figured I'd revive this one with a close call I had today... Damned near got some air time because of a Civic driver... I'm not innocent, nor will I claim to be in this situation, but here's what transpired.

I was on a cruise from the Springs to CRock with another forum. Only bike in the cruise. Everyone else was moving up ahead, but I was riding very conservatively and had fallen back a bit. I decided to catch up. Left lane was blocked by dude doing 70 and 3 other cars behind him. Right was clear. Dropped 2 gears and throttled it just as left lane hits the brakes. I thought "No problem, right's clear, here I go!" I'm up to about 80 and the Civic driver swerves out of the left lane about 10 yards ahead of me, still fully on the brakes (to the point he's weaving), and was already down to 60 MPH.

I hit the brakes as hard as I've hit them on this bike. I could feel the front trying to lock up, foot was on the rear, body was as low as I could get it to keep from doing a nice stoppie into the back of dude's car.

Finally dude lets off the brakes, gets going again (in the clear right lane), my heart re-starts, and he gives me an "apology wave". I shook for about 5 minutes after that, and almost kicked his door as I went by him.

I honestly thought for about 5 seconds there that I was going to be doing a beautiful impression of an eagle over his car.
    Have owned: '01 Volusia
    Currently own: '05 Z750S