Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Close Call Thread

Re: Close Call Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yep, that's always a good thing to keep in mind. I've heard many stories of people having someone turn left during a pass. I recall a thread here last year about such an incident. I think Pilot posted it along the lines of "can you tell what happened here?"

Dirk
    I think in general I saw the car but it was far ahead. Either the guy in the truck picked up speed or the car was going a lot slower than either of us expected. It is hard to see around the larger vehicles and I'm pretty sure I was below the drivers window when I went by so it was a 250 or 350 sized truck.

If I remember the picture correctly, wasn't it a double yellow line too? Granted we do cross on double yellows at times but I'm always careful not to do that when there's a left or right turn visible.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    I think in general I saw the car but it was far ahead. Either the guy in the truck picked up speed or the car was going a lot slower than either of us expected. It is hard to see around the larger vehicles and I'm pretty sure I was below the drivers window when I went by so it was a 250 or 350 sized truck.
    Yeah, I always get very uncomfortable when I can't see around somebody.

Quote Originally Posted by dm_gsxr View Post
    If I remember the picture correctly, wasn't it a double yellow line too? Granted we do cross on double yellows at times but I'm always careful not to do that when there's a left or right turn visible.
    I seem to recall that it was a double yellow, yes.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Question Tire Slippage?

Wednesday, March 13
    Time: ~ 3:30 pm

Take a look at the pics and then offer up opinions based on my scenario. I'm a tad perplexed with how this happened. Note the scratches on the outer edge of the tire...

So, these were the conditions...
    • cloudy and windy
    • wind chill maybe at 40 degrees
    • no gravel
    • no noticeable mag chloride
    • no water
    • I'd been riding for about 45 minutes already
    The rear tire is stock and has about 4800 miles on it. I was following a car that was determined to stay ahead of me on the road. Since I wasn't in a hurry to get anywhere, I stayed behind the car. We were doing maybe 10-15 over on a 45mph road. The last corner before coming down from the Res is about a 20mph corner heading East. It's a blind corner as well. The car maybe slows to about 40mph. I keep my distance, let off the throttle and set myself up for the corner. I lean and then all of a sudden, I feel no traction what-so-ever. I freak, so on sheer fear, I stand the bike up a tad (not all the way, just a tad). I'm still in that corner, but now taking it way wide and cross over the center about a foot. Luckily, no on-coming traffic.

So, what's anyone's opinion on this scenario? Bad tires? Just a cold road? What? I'm curious and also really glad I didn't biff it.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Cath,
    Were you still engine braking when you were leaned over? That would do it in that cold of a temp. Even if you were at neutral throttle, looks like you were leaned over pretty good and sport bike tires just don't like those cold temps. My bike is so squirrelly when it's that cold. I had it break loose on me up on Horsetooth this year when I pulled out to pass a car under mild acceleration. Basically you can accelerate or brake or turn, but you can't do more than one at a time in cold conditions.
    Don
    Ciao

I wasn't engine braking and wasn't throttling up aggresively either...at least I didn't think so. But, after speaking with Patrick about it last night, I realized I was wrong about the age of the rear tire. My brain is stuck in '07, but the tire is actually 2 years old. The previous owner didn't ride much, so it's a stock tire, and since I bought it when the weather turned cold, I haven't had a chance to wear it down fast enough to require a change. Looks like new tires are in the near future for me.

And yeah, I think most definitely, it was the weather/cold combined with the age of tire and maybe I was a tad too aggresive.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Tire Slippage?

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Wednesday, March 13
    The rear tire is stock and has about 4800 miles on it.
    Yep, probably cold tire. What brand/model is it? I have never liked any of the stock tires on my bikes except for the Bridgestones on the VFR. The Dunlops on the Gixxer seriously sucked. They would slide way too easily under power exiting a turn. I replaced them with Michelins (Pilot Power 2CT) and they rock.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

The tires are the Bridgestone Battlax tires.

On my previous Zed, I switched out tires to the Avon Azarros in 06 and then got the Avon Storm STs last year and absolutely love that tire. I have never had a problem with those tires, in any weather condition. I'm definitely switching back to those for this season.

March 14th, 2008 approximately 3:00pm.

I was on my way back home, southbound on I-25 approaching the 270/I-76 exits. I was in the left lane, cruising with moderate to heavy traffic at a speed of approximately 65 to 70mph.

Ahead of me were two lardge semi's in the same lane, one was hauling an oversized load. To the left of me was about a 12' wide shoulder, that I had made myself aware of.

In the blink of an eye ahead of me, solid black smoke filled the air. The vehicle in front of me suddenly locked up its breaks, and I witnessed several vehicles in front of that one dive into the left shoulder obviously to avoid a collision. They didn't take up the entire shoulder, but kind of straddled the left yellow line.

I was faced with two choices. I knew I probably had enough stopping power on my brand new FZ1 in order to stop for the white van ahead of me that had just locked up its brakes, obviously due to some fucktard not paying attention. It was either stop rapidly behind him(I knew I had enough distance), or dive to the left 12' wide shoulder, and coast it out.

I chose to coast to the left shoulder, and coast it out, passing all of the dumbasses that had just about caused the accident in the first place.

It's a good thing I did, because as I was pulling into the left shoulder to avoid the mess, I glanced in my right rear view mirror and noticed the vehicle that was behind me, come within inches of nailing the white van that was ahead of me. I would have been spam in a can.

For what its worth, I think I'll take the shoulder from now on when something like this happens. I'd rather take my chances doing that then being sandwiched in between two cars.

Any similar experiences?

I had a similar experience a year or so ago in I25- That is when I started using ALL 5 senses while riding. We were goin along, about like you, 65-70mph when I smell hot brakes. I was thinking about why I would smell hot brakes or what else it could be, but all of the sudden traffic just stopped. I jammed on the brakes and when I glanced in my rear view, I saw an F350 with a service bed on it behind me. Luckily he stopped, cuz I chose to stay in the lane..... I would just be aware that the reason people slammed on their brakes might be a state patrol or etc in the break down lane.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    The tires are the Bridgestone Battlax tires.

On my previous Zed, I switched out tires to the Avon Azarros in 06 and then got the Avon Storm STs last year and absolutely love that tire. I have never had a problem with those tires, in any weather condition. I'm definitely switching back to those for this season.
    Got 'em in stock when you're ready!

[/thread jacking]
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by fullgrownbear View Post
    For what its worth, I think I'll take the shoulder from now on when something like this happens. I'd rather take my chances doing that then being sandwiched in between two cars.

Any similar experiences?
    I usually choose the dotted line. Traction sucks on the shoulders. It's rare that I'll quick-stop behind a vehicle, I'm usually to one side or another. Getting rear-ended doesn't have to mean getting squished.
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by tarded400 View Post
    I had a similar experience a year or so ago in I25- That is when I started using ALL 5 senses while riding. We were goin along, about like you, 65-70mph when I smell hot brakes. I was thinking about why I would smell hot brakes or what else it could be, but all of the sudden traffic just stopped. I jammed on the brakes and when I glanced in my rear view, I saw an F350 with a service bed on it behind me. Luckily he stopped, cuz I chose to stay in the lane..... I would just be aware that the reason people slammed on their brakes might be a state patrol or etc in the break down lane.
    A few years ago in the northern Virginia area during the sniper shootings, I recall going home and seeing a pair of motorcycle cops riding on the shoulder going in the opposite direction (heading towards us on either shoulder).

When I got home, I saw on the news that there had been a shooting near the Springfield exit of 95 and they were heading to the shooting. And the cop that was on the bike in the right shoulder had been killed by a tow truck that had pulled into the shoulder in front of the moving cop.

While it didn't say it, I've seen thing like what you're saying where folks who aren't paying attention suddenly pull into the shoulder because they were following too close to react. In this case I think someone ahead of the tow truck driver saw the oncoming cops and hit the brakes. Since they weren't paying attention, they swerved into the shoulder to avoid an accident and the cop just happened to be right there and was killed in a head on.

Carl

When: Friday April 4th approximately 11:00PM
    Where: Jordan at the night next to the last gas station before Arapahoe road heading into parker.

I was cruising doing about 5 over, there was some kind of Japanese sedan in front of me, looked like an early 90's accord. Yahoo locked up his brakes for no apparent reason and came to a complete stop at a GREEN light. Tried to stop behind him, but there was some shit on the road and my rear tire is pretty worn so the back end started coming out immediately. Got off the brake and jumped into the right lane. As I passed through the intersection, I noted that it was completely empty. No idea why that chick decided to stop, she was definitely on her cell phone.

I had a car try and merge into me the other day- I'm used to that, but what really scared me is when I got on my horn, she swerved FARTHER into my lane before correcting and whipping back into her own lane. Car was a red intrepid with heavy body damage to the rear and a spare doughnut tire on the RF. I thought she was going to roll it. From now on I think I'm going avoid scaring them and just split lanes or something. If I would have been 10 feet ahead of where I was, she would have hit me.

I had a car try and merge into me the other day- I'm used to that, but what really scared me is when I got on my horn, she swerved FARTHER into my lane before correcting and whipping back into her own lane. Car was a red intrepid with heavy body damage to the rear and a spare doughnut tire on the RF. I thought she was going to roll it. From now on I think I'm going avoid scaring them and just split lanes or something. If I would have been 10 feet ahead of where I was, she would have hit me.
    Amen to that happens every time I get on the bike. I've learned to not stay next to SUV's and dumb SOB's on their cell phones. It's usually pretty easy to tell if they're paying attention by looking in the window and seeing what state the person's in. If it's two fools in a cadillac passing a blunt, I definitely get past them asap.

This is something not to bright I did that I luckily didn't wreck but in effect made me think even more on the road.

crusin down sante fe in mild traffic. I was in the center lane, the guy in front of me change lanes and out of my way. I had a nice open lane ahead of me. Looked like a tunnel with full lanes on both sides of me. Well I sped up to take advantage of this clear road ahead of me. Once I started to pick up the pace I began thinking "with how full these lanes to either side of me are and how empty mine is I bet someone will just swing over"

Sure enough some guy in a saturn pulled out right infront of me without a care in the world. I knew I wouldnt beable to break in time, so i squeezed it centerline between him and a semi. Scary incedent.

It was that guys fault for not paying attention and pulling out in front of me. But just because it's his fault doesn't mean that I can't be more careful. Things turned out ok, but just got me thinking twice about every time i pull on that throttle in traffic weather I have a clear shot or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadam View Post
    It was that guys fault for not paying attention and pulling out in front of me. But just because it's his fault doesn't mean that I can't be more careful.
    Well said. Who's fault it is won't make a whole lot of difference to you or your family if you're laying in a hospital bed or the morgue.

Very common situation Jadam... good advice.

Santa Fe Drive & Town Center Drive

Sunday 11:45 I meet a friend at the Gas Station On South Santa Fe Drive and Town Center Drive. We gas up check out the bikes, I remark how clean his bike is, he looks at my new Diablo Rosso tires. The sun is overhead, 75 degrees, there is a little wind.

We depart at 12:50.

After waiting for a break in traffic, I turn right and we head north on Santa Fe Drive toward 470. There is a straight part and then the road dips down toward 470. Traffic is moving at about 55 and I accelerate up to the speed of traffic my friend on his Ducati at a safe distance behind.

I was in the left lane. Approximately five car lengths and 3 seconds ahead in the right lane was a grey Cadillac sts.

In the opposite lane of traffic waiting ever so patiently to turn left in front of us, I see a Black SUV. There is a lot of traffic so I expect we'll pass before the driver makes the left turn. I'm 3 seconds behind the grey Cadillac so I cover my break just in case.

Just at the grey Cadillac approaches, the black SUV guns it and takes out the Cadillac with a frightening crunch sound, car parts are flying all over the place. The SUV clears the Cadillac right off the road leaving just debri. I hit the break softly and quickly scan my mirror to see if anyone wants to run me over. I see the ducati and some other traffic. We continue through the debri strung all over the place, avoiding the big parts we pull off to the right.

I get out and see an elderly lady in the driver seat. I can't get the door open so I walk over to the passenger side. She unlocks the door manually because the electronics don't work any more. The keys are stuck in the ignition and she can't shut the window wipers off. She's freaking out and I talk to her for about 5 minutes until she calms down. I keep telling her she's OK. We talk about the accident, I tell her that she's safe and that the car did it's job: she's OK. She wants to get out of the car. The inside looks good, she checks herself and I don't see any signs of injury. She's composed and in control, so I help her get across the seat and out. Quick check she seems good. The crash was so violent I'm surprised this 75 year old women is even walking at this point.

My friend returns after talking to the other driver. I leave my information and we go check the bikes.

Nothing stuck to the bikes, we check over the tires, no cuts or car parts sticking out of them. We remark how a few extra seconds at the GAS station might have saved our life and we head off.

If I were the grey Cadillac there is no way I would have time to hit the breaks. Instead of reading this, there would be a new thread of a different kind.

All I can say is holy shit that was close!!
    Last edited by ihavealegohead; Mon Apr 21st, 2008 at 08:23 AM.

Like I need your support

Sunday April 27, 2008 approx 4:00pm

I was on west bound C-470 coming back from Black Hawk with my girl on the back of the bike and Damir fallowing, all going about 65mph. Right as we go past Bandimere Speedway, a pigeon flies out of the grass on the right shoulder. The bird gets caught in a cross wind, sending it straight for my bike, it hits the air coming off the front of my bike, missing the windshield by maybe 2 inches, I duck missing the bird by inches off my helmet. It then rolls past my helmet (I was in full crouch to avoid hitting it) and one of the wings brushed my girl's helmet. Damir said the bird re-gained control barley missing the pavement and flew off.

This all happened after I got crapped on by a bird coming down Wadsworth. I had poo on my face shield, jack, and riding pants.... DAMN BIRDS lol.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

I hit a bird one time doing about 130... good thing it hit the bike before it hit me. Not something I would suggest. Splattered blood all down my rain suit.

Date: ~5/5/08
    Time: About 4:45pm
    Conditions: Clear

I didn't consider this a close call at the time but in retrospect it might be good info.

The light at Rt 52 was red. I was second back in the left lane. There was an accident in the far right northbound lane. One of the cars was halfway up the bed. There was a long line of cars in the left lane.

When the light changed, the truck in front of me accelerated and was going a little faster than the minivan in the right lane. I was preparing to signal, change to the right lane and accelerate away from traffic when I noticed a big white 10 wheeled moving type truck had all of a sudden made a U-Turn from the traffic on the northbound side directly across both lanes

I aborted my lane shift as the rest of us slowed down. He wasn't immediately in front of both lanes of traffic. No panic stops, just holy crap slow downs He slowed and pulled on to our right shoulder.

I felt that had I completed my lane shift, there's a good chance I would have easily impacted the side of the truck.

The truck that was in front of me shifted to the right lane and as I went by, he was looking over at me and shaking his head. I shook mine too and headed on home.

In this case it's hard to say exactly what happened to keep me from aborting my shift. I'd hit my turn signal and turned my head to make sure the lane was clear. It was almost a corner of the eye "WTF! Big White Wall!" instinctive abort than anything I can remember contemplating. It might just be my habit of being aware of escape routes.

Carl

Gotta love the head shakers. They're always the ones that almost cashed your chips.

Gotta love the head shakers. They're always the ones that almost cashed your chips.
    No, he was the guy that was in front of me that I was going to pass. The one swarthy looking guy in the big 10 wheeler was looking down as I went by him. The pickup guy was just commiserating with me at just how stupid folks are.

Carl