Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: IMI | saturday 9/15 | anyone going?

Re: IMI | saturday 9/15 | anyone going?

pss... triple bypass is my buddy teddy (speed triple).

i'll prob be out there again this sat morning for a while... we're headed out to pueblo for the erico day as well on the 24th. see some of you there... can't wait!!!

thanks for the pics guys. looking really good.

so about the track, yes it is very rough. its not a track to carry a lot of corner speed and it does get a little loose in spots. just a couple things to keep in mind:

1. Find a good line. turn 2 (sharp left) can be navigated where you miss most the rough stuff. hang left and brake into the turn, rather then hooking it wide to carry corner speed. turn 7 (second left on the infield) is about the same. however, be prepared to go thru the rough sections incase you get a little off your line.

2. Possibly the biggest issue with loosing your front is having bad rubber or incorrect tire presure. I know alot of you guys use your bikes for commuting, or whatever, so its probably a harder rubber compound. Also, you are trying to "race" on tires that are designed to last long, not stick. I would suggest some Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's.

3. Suspension settings. I know that the two years i rode on the street, i never once adjusted my suspension let alone had the forks rebuilt. For a track like IMI, you need to make adjustments for dampening, rebound, and compression. Running on whatever settings your bike has been at for the street, will cause issues at a race track.

4. Last issue would be just try and be smooth. instead of trying to go as fast as possible, try and make it through a whole session without unsettling your chassis. good body position and smooth transition from side to side will help cut down on your times. once you become smooth, you will pick up time without even noticing.

And above all, practice every chance you get. once you get sick of IMI and street riding, move up to racing with the MRA. better tracks and better competition. IMI is where a lot of racers start, hopefully you will all continue with the sport. the MRA is currently funding a new track just east of denver. Anyone with real love of racing should look into joining the MRA and possibly donating to the new track. Maybe that way you will never have to ride IMI again lol. anyways, nice meeting you guys, hope i didn't ramble too much.
    Casey D

Thanks for the post Casey. It's nice to hear some good feedback instead of being flamed about riding there.

(still waiting to see some of the shots Mike got )
    Last edited by pauliep; Tue Sep 18th, 2007 at 09:52 AM.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

Quote Originally Posted by d_mob View Post

ps... bueller -- not sure if i met you out the other day. was that you on the blue motard on my ass for like 5 laps? i couldn't get away!
    Wasn't me, I was out Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    thanks for the pics guys. looking really good.

so about the track, yes it is very rough. its not a track to carry a lot of corner speed and it does get a little loose in spots. just a couple things to keep in mind:

1. Find a good line. turn 2 (sharp left) can be navigated where you miss most the rough stuff. hang left and brake into the turn, rather then hooking it wide to carry corner speed. turn 7 (second left on the infield) is about the same. however, be prepared to go thru the rough sections incase you get a little off your line.
    It seemed like you had to go real wide around 2 to miss the rough stuff and the patch. Turn 3 had two rough spots but they could be split. Turn 4 was ok (still had the bump). Turn 5 had the rough and patch right on the line. I was either going under or over that. Turn 6 was pretty good and I could easily avoid the rough bit there. Turn 7 (or 8 if you count the little right after 6) was the worst. If I came in a little high, I could split the patch and rough areas.

2. Possibly the biggest issue with loosing your front is having bad rubber or incorrect tire presure. I know alot of you guys use your bikes for commuting, or whatever, so its probably a harder rubber compound. Also, you are trying to "race" on tires that are designed to last long, not stick. I would suggest some Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's.
    For me, the SV is pretty strictly for IMI or the twisties in the mountains. The tires are the softer Pirelli tires and I keep the pressure at the 29/30 Alex recommended.

3. Suspension settings. I know that the two years i rode on the street, i never once adjusted my suspension let alone had the forks rebuilt. For a track like IMI, you need to make adjustments for dampening, rebound, and compression. Running on whatever settings your bike has been at for the street, will cause issues at a race track.
    I had Dave do the suspension for me about 6 weeks ago and it's lots better than when I got it.

4. Last issue would be just try and be smooth. instead of trying to go as fast as possible, try and make it through a whole session without unsettling your chassis. good body position and smooth transition from side to side will help cut down on your times. once you become smooth, you will pick up time without even noticing.
    Before the track got so patchy, I was practicing how to determine what the right line was for the corners. I think that was my main focus. Understanding corner entry and how to smoothly take corners. I'm still coasting to about half way through a corner before starting to accelerate though

And above all, practice every chance you get. once you get sick of IMI and street riding, move up to racing with the MRA. better tracks and better competition. IMI is where a lot of racers start, hopefully you will all continue with the sport. the MRA is currently funding a new track just east of denver. Anyone with real love of racing should look into joining the MRA and possibly donating to the new track. Maybe that way you will never have to ride IMI again lol. anyways, nice meeting you guys, hope i didn't ramble too much.
    I like IMI when it's in good shape. There aren't the restrictions Pueblo has and it's a lot closer. I'm also practicing corners and not speed so not being able to hit 100mph in a corner isn't such a big deal and I'm not concentrating on how to shave a second from my lap time. It's a relatively low speed corner track, perfect for me right now

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

great responses carl. sounds like you have the right idea out there. not sure if i saw you last saturday but i'll keep an eye out for you now on. i wish i could draw what im talking about in turn 2. a lot of people like to follow the s shape of turn 1 and 2. i found the best way through was to exit turn one, straighten up the bike and go WOT just for a second. then brake hard into the apex of two, keeping more of a straight line path rather then an s. i was able to close on a lot of people in that turn just cuz keeping the wide turn will slow down your speed.

if your talking about dave from fixmybike.com he is the man when it comes to suspension. i haven't worked with him directly but he has really helped out my teammates R6. its really amazing at how much faster you can go once your bike is set up correctly.

one thing that can help you get on the gas sooner is to try and really look through the corner. dont let your attention get stuck on things right in front of you. IMI is a perfect place to practice this. Tons of little patches to catch your attention. one thing i was told from a good racer was, your mind will remember all the little things after the first lap or two. you no longer have to actually look at them to know where they are. your mind remembers.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    great responses carl. sounds like you have the right idea out there. not sure if i saw you last saturday but i'll keep an eye out for you now on. i wish i could draw what im talking about in turn 2. a lot of people like to follow the s shape of turn 1 and 2. i found the best way through was to exit turn one, straighten up the bike and go WOT just for a second. then brake hard into the apex of two, keeping more of a straight line path rather then an s. i was able to close on a lot of people in that turn just cuz keeping the wide turn will slow down your speed.
    Nope, I wanted to go out Saturday but Rita had me digging up tree and bush roots and stumps in the front yard

I was a little upset because I wanted to come out but she said "fine, go to the track then". Having been married for a _little_ while, I knew better than to go. Better me upset for an hour or so than having her be upset for three or four days

if your talking about dave from fixmybike.com he is the man when it comes to suspension. i haven't worked with him directly but he has really helped out my teammates R6. its really amazing at how much faster you can go once your bike is set up correctly.
    Yep, that's the Dave. When I got the SV it was a little soft for Alex and a bit soft for me (Alex is lighter than I am). I had some trouble with the front feeling weird. I took the forks and rear shock up to Dave and he did his magic on them. Now it's stiffer and feels much more solid.

one thing that can help you get on the gas sooner is to try and really look through the corner. dont let your attention get stuck on things right in front of you. IMI is a perfect place to practice this. Tons of little patches to catch your attention. one thing i was told from a good racer was, your mind will remember all the little things after the first lap or two. you no longer have to actually look at them to know where they are. your mind remembers.
    I found that I could let the back slip a little when I was looking through corners and not be too worried about it. I was doing quite well (in my opinion ) but the amount of patching material was just too much to ignore. I'm not a racer by any means so I'm not pushing right to the limits and past. I'm just out there learning cornering and playing. But with the massive amounts (to me anyway), I just didn't feel comfortable and wasn't in the groove. Maybe if I were with other riders, I could have gotten over it but it was just a couple of dirt bikes (like Bueller's although I didn't see him there), the pair of ATV's and the one cart out there and I just couldn't break free.

Carl

Long Distance Gear Checklist 2002 Hayabusa - Now with 100,000+ miles!

Casey, awesome advice for all of us newbies, thanks and keep the suggestions coming!!!

Jay

no problem bro im just glad i can help. i was in the same spot last year, having just bought my first track bike and just starting to ride IMI. i know track riding is getting bigger and i'll do whatever little stuff i can to keep guys on the track. and by no means am i a pro at racing, i just pass on what i have learned.
    Casey D

I wasnt to happy with most of the pics.

Board Newbie

Thanks for the posts Casey. I'm still a serious newb to sportbikes, let alone tracks, and that helps a bunch.

Looked like a great time out there.

the pics look great mike, good job!!!

seadood228: feel free to ask any questions that you have and i'll do my best to answer them.
    Casey D

mike, thanks much for posting the pics as usual...

anyway, is that a freakin' hang-ten gesture i'm throwin' up?!? damn, i meant to do the shocker!

haha yea it was hang ten