Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil and Filter Question

Re: Oil and Filter Question

Not sure if this was mentioned. (to much to read )But IIRC, If you use Syn. oil, you can't use conventional oils ever again b/c of the saturation properties of the two oils have on gaskets.
    2000 Ducati 748

Quote Originally Posted by Gallep";p="201280
    Not sure if this was mentioned. (to much to read )But IIRC, If you use Syn. oil, you can't use conventional oils ever again b/c of the saturation properties of the two oils have on gaskets.
    I do not believe that that is true at all. And I have done it many times. For awhile there were rumors going around that synth caused leaks in gaskets.. some really old gasket material apparently did have issues but anything from early 80's on is fine.

Where are you getting this info from?
    03 zx6rr (soon to be race)
    MRA#533 novice

Not true. If it were, why do we have synthetic blends?
    Kim & Dean
    60th Anniversary R6 - '16 R1M

Quote Originally Posted by japrules";p="201314
    I do not believe that that is true at all. And I have done it many times. For awhile there were rumors going around that synth caused leaks in gaskets.. some really old gasket material apparently did have issues but anything from early 80's on is fine.

Where are you getting this info from?
    I was told this in my engines performance class. It may be something else, it was long time ago. but i'm curious now so i'll ask my old instructor and post a correction or the reason for this.
    2000 Ducati 748

gallep--

if you're instructor seriously told you this bs give me his name so i can come do a gasket clinic for him. modern gaskets do not saturate with oil of anykind. if oil happens to permeate the sealing surface usually it is due to hard parts warping or flexing. this may cause the gasket to leak but the kind of oil that is in a unit has no bearing on the gasket at all.

trust me on this one.

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar
    Scott's Stainless Steel oil filters rule!!!

(Trust me, I looked at it tonight.)
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by Gramps";p="201687
    gallep--

if you're instructor seriously told you this bs give me his name so i can come do a gasket clinic for him. modern gaskets do not saturate with oil of anykind. if oil happens to permeate the sealing surface usually it is due to hard parts warping or flexing. this may cause the gasket to leak but the kind of oil that is in a unit has no bearing on the gasket at all.

trust me on this one.

yeah, so i ask that instructor about this, and it was for a specific auto tranny, not an engine. sorry :P
    2000 Ducati 748

i told you to trust me

you just had to go make a fool of yourself
    Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S