Thread: MotoGP new tire rule???

MotoGP new tire rule???

So it looks like they are talking about going to one tire brand for all the racers for the 08 season.
    This is all I have heard so far. Some riders are in favor and some are not.
    It will be interesting if they do that's for sure.

CHEN SHINS ALL THE WAY!!!!

Oh, speaking of which. Any comments on the MAXXIS tires? I think I get them for a good price through work. I don't need any, but might be able to get some if someone wants to try them out...
    Just a thought.

Re: MotoGP new tire rule???

Different tire brands are as important as different manufacturers imho. I like to hear that brand X finished in the top 3 spots or whatever. Granted, doesn't mean much for street equipment, but its another variation to the equation. Without different tire brands, Hayden would never have won the number 1!

this would be a horrible idea. Why should everyone use the same tire? Will everyone use the ducati motor in their bikes next year as well?

This is a great idea. Too many times did the Michelins completely fail your top riders, Rossi, Hayden, Pedrosa, Edwards....... anybody on Michelins were handicapped before the race even started. I can understand people wanting different manufactures in there but when they are putting out shit tires that are unsafe, something needs to change.
    ....give me 2 beers and I achieve RETARD Strength!!!!!

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post
    This is a great idea. Too many times did the Michelins completely fail your top riders, Rossi, Hayden, Pedrosa, Edwards....... anybody on Michelins were handicapped before the race even started. I can understand people wanting different manufactures in there but when they are putting out shit tires that are unsafe, something needs to change.
    And the same could have been said about Bridgestone 2 years ago, the competition has helped EVERYONE. As a result the 800 cc bikes lap the tracks faster than the 990's did. I would argue that the Michellin from this year is a far superior tire to the one of two years ago, so the technology IS evolving and competition is good for that.

All that being said, I believe that the spec tire is one of the best things to happen to WSBK in recent times. It has kept that series interesting and fun to watch. I just don't think a spec tire has any place at the HIGHEST level of racing. Competition SHOULD be taking place on all planes at that level. It would never stand in Formula 1, or WRC and it shouldn't in Moto GP either.

my .02

s

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffro View Post

How can the blame be put on just tires? So many different factors go into the results/outcomes of a race. Were tires to blame for Rossi's poor perforamnce on sunday? No.

Quote Originally Posted by GNGSXR View Post
    How can the blame be put on just tires? So many different factors go into the results/outcomes of a race. Were tires to blame for Rossi's poor perforamnce on sunday? No.

I never said just tires. Everybody knows there are alot of different factors that make up the equation. If the GOAT or any other GP rider for that matter says that the Michelins are shit, well, I will take their opinion over anybody else's on this board.........
    ....give me 2 beers and I achieve RETARD Strength!!!!!

IMO... MotoGP should have no tire rules at all... the whole 25 tires a weekend thing is BS... as is a spec tire series for such developmental form of racing. The reason they do it is to try and bring down costs for the teams... which I guess makes it a whole different problem... but with money as no object there should be no tire rules at all in MotoGP

I do however love to watch the WSS and WSBK going at it on spec tires... it is some of the best racing to watch!

I know the AMA privateers get screwed by not having the newest hottest stuff either... the problem runs into who is doing the development, and which brand is it going to be?

MotoGP is the top developmental class out there, so again no tire rules. But maybe for something in the AMA superbike/supersport everyone gets the choice of approved AMA tires (ie they have a few compounds to choose from and everyone could get their hands on the same compounds from mulitple tire companies) Put the work on the tire companies to come out and play... make them get the tires approved, and supply the same things to everyone.

welcome to my utopia haha
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

As far as WSB goes, that is great racing for sure.
    WSB is also somewhat geared towards bikes for the street in the fact that the manufacturer has to make x-amount of bike available to the public in order to run a bike in WSB. The amounts are gonna be going up as well over the next few years.

When it comes to GP, this class is for pure "prototype" rigs in my opinion as nothing on these are made for public consumption.
    Sure the 800's are going faster, but they could go faster still if they were not held back on the amount of fuel they have to run per race either. That is another rule that I don't like, but everyone has to adapt to it and make it work for every track they go to. It's becoming a race more for engineers as well as the riders due to the fact they have to figure out where to lean it out and where to richen it up.
    There has been a few races this season that I have seen riders being pushed not 1/2 lap after the race due to running out of fuel. That is a bit close for my liking, but what can you do.
    As far as the tires go, Colin Edwards said it best when he stated that one theory for Bridgestone's success is that they have had more practice building tires that are more adaptable to different situations because they are coming from Japan to Europe. Michelin on the other hand back in the old days used to make a tire that worked a day or 2 before the race and then shipped it out for the race. Now that Michelin can't do that anymore, they now have to adapt to a better tire capable of handling different situations like Bridgestone did.

As long as there is some scrappin going on it really doesn't matter to me. Hell, Dunlop was on the box this past weekend.. Make them the tire to ride..
    CHEN SHINS ALL THE WAY!!!