Thread: Advice on High Mileage Bike

Advice on High Mileage Bike

So, I'm looking at a 2001 Suzuki SV650S that has 27k miles on it. What kind of concerns should I have with this kind of mileage besides whether routine maint. has been done? Should I have a shop do a full check on it from compressions testing to brake disc thickness, etc? Would the suspension be worn out after 27K? What about valves, cylinders, etc?

Or if it rides well and has good power, would that be a good indication that it will continue to do so for a fair amount of time? Besides, the price is pretty good at $2600, $2300 less than another 2001 with fewer miles.

It's for my wife, who hasn't put more than 600 miles on her Seca II in a year, so there won't be much mileage after we get it. I just don't want to buy something that's going to fall apart in a year.

Thanks in advance.
    Dan

'00 R1

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    I'd say ride it and see how it feels, obviously listen for any kind of knocking etc. Have you ever ridden an SV so you have something to compare it to? Has it been down, stunted etc? It's a known problem for the front cylinder to get starved for oil on extended wheelies...

Valves should be adjusted every 15,000 miles, so it's probably due for another one soon. My 15K inspection was right on, no adjustments necessary. Obviously getting the bike checked out by a mechanic won't hurt, but I don't think it's necessary.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar
    The suspension prolly needs at least a fluid change upfront. If hard riding is in the future you might want to get the rear shock rebuilt. Unless the bike was owned by a total fool the compression should be fine (check the exhaust pipe for carbon buildup and pull the plugs). Try to find out if the thing burns any oil. I've heard that these engines are pretty much bullet proof.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Loopty
    Pronounced with an "oopty"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja
    I've heard that these engines are pretty much bullet proof.
    I've heard that too.

On the suspension, a fluid change up front would help I'm sure, go with 20wt oil. Don't even bother trying to rebuild the rear, get yourself an aftermarket one. You don't need to go all out on it, you can fit a GSXR shock on it with a minor battery box mod, it's alot better than the stocker. If you wanted stock, you could find one on ebay with alot less miles on it for next to nothing, probably $20 or less.
    MRA 33 (Retired)
    502- RIP my brother