Thread: Beginner Track Days

Beginner Track Days

So I did some searches and I don't really see any solid info for someone doing a light track day (similar to an HPDE 1, if you are car person). I am new to riding really and want to get some track experience without building a race bike. I see you guys do track days down in Pueblo alot but is there a instructional class or anything down there? Sorry for the Newb question, I am a newb to going fast on two wheels (been a cager...or I think thats what you call them...all my life).

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Re: Beginner Track Days

Oct. 8th is the next one.
    Should be a good day for beginners...not too crowded.
    http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...t=safety+class
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

NESBA!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

You can go to IMI without any class or bike prep and only $35 for the day. I would suggest introducing yourself to someone that has track experience and getting the lowdown on track etiquette, and they will likely let you follow them around for a bit to get some lines figured out.
    There will likely be some of us Supermoto out there this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    You can go to IMI without any class or bike prep and only $35 for the day. I would suggest introducing yourself to someone that has track experience and getting the lowdown on track etti quite, and they will likely let you follow them around for a bit to get some lines figured out.
    There will likely be some of us Supermoto out there this Sunday.
    Don't ride with the Motards.....they're contagious.....and Motarded.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

It's a socially transmitted disease

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    It's a socially transmitted disease
    I heard it was a sexually transmited disease.
    As in: Ride with Bueller...and your fucked.

drop a gear and disappear....

Asshat Racing:Mra #228
    2002 r6 street,akrapovic slip-on,flush mounts,Ohlins steering dampener
    2000 r6 race (sold)

So the safety class would be the one a beginner would want to ride in. Is there a website for them? Is it a specific organization? I would love to learn some basics of the track without a huge risk of hurting my bike (meaning no passing except on straights etc.

And supermoto is my new hidden passion (almost got a KTM duke)

And im sorry but what is IMI, I recently moved back out to denver and Pueblo is really the only track I know of...

IMI is north of Denver exit 232 off I-25 head east for a couple miles.
    It is a kart track so it is small and technical, lotsa practice for braking and turns.

http://www.na-motorsports.com/Tracks/CO/IMI.html

http://www.thecoloradokarter.com/imi/imiinfo.htm

Quote Originally Posted by merlotSV View Post
    So the safety class would be the one a beginner would want to ride in. Is there a website for them? Is it a specific organization? I would love to learn some basics of the track without a huge risk of hurting my bike (meaning no passing except on straights etc.

And supermoto is my new hidden passion (almost got a KTM duke)
    The class on Monday, Oct 8th, is geared for the beginning track day rider. The instruction is by Mark Schellenger from Vanmar Racing; multi-time MRA #1 plate holder and former AMA Superbike rider. He currently is the MRA New Rider Director and runs the new racer school. Helping Mark out will be Mike Applehans aka HCR25, myself, and possible Joe Logalbo aka jplracing.
    Let me reiterate, the class this Monday is not a race school, but a track safety and orientation class, which sounds like what you are wanting. If you are interested in attending, PM me your email address and I will send you the registration form. The sign up thread for it is http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=16901

Here is some background on it:

AS OF APRIL 1, 2007, SAFETY CLASS OR PREVIOUS INSTRUCTION CLASS REQUIRED

A Pueblo Motorsports Park Basic Safety/familiarization course MUST be taken prior to scheduling individual weekday track time at PMP or proof of a private driving/riding course or hold a racing license within a organized group. This must be within the past 3 years. The AMA general membership card is NOT recognized as a safety class.The PMP safety/familiarization class is required by PMP and is NOT a certification nor licensing for any other Club or organization. To become a certified member of any Club, please contact them for their requirements. After taking the PMP Basic Safety/familiarization course, your name will be added to the approved renters list. The cost of the course is $149.00 which includes the services of an instructor and track time. Please read below for links to instructors teaching this course.

Additionally:

For Bikes: No antifreeze will be allowed (water or water wetter only), full leathers which zip all the way around, mirrors must be removed, lights must be taped.

Safety rules of PMP-

will be strictly enforced to assure everyone of a fun and safe day at PMP. If you are unsure of the rules please ask we will be more than happy to share with you the basic safety rules of PMP (ONLY entrance onto the track is on the hot pit lane. ONLY exit back into the pit/paddock area is at the south pit lanes. No one can exit the track at turn 7 (the hairpin). Anyone entering or exiting the track at any location other than stated can be ejected from the park.)

AND

Bike riders wanting weekday track time must have taken the MRA school, private instruction class, history of previous instruction, within the last 3 years or must take the Safety class offered to new riders. Please contact: Joe Logalbo at jlogalbo@msn.com or Mark Schellinger at vanmarracing@mindspring.com-- 303-944-0334 for class information or Mike Pettiford at http://go4itservices.com/.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach