Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rider Down on Sat morning ride

Re: Rider Down on Sat morning ride

I'm betting he is. Right Nick?

Anyone have his number?

Hey All, thanks for you thoughts.

The Me:
    Im pretty much fine. I have some road rash on my arm where it ate threw my jacket. Im bruised and soar all over. And the kicker… I have a broken Talus. The Talus is the ankle bone that connects your leg bones and your foot bones. Its going to take a couple of screws to put it back together. Surgery is scheduled for Friday. I guess there’s a 20% chance the bone will die but well cross that bridge if we come to it. After the surgery ill be in bed for 2-3 weeks then in a non-weight bearing cast for 3 months.

The Accident:
    Joecyce, webman nick_ninja swademaster and I headed up to Nederland for breakfast. Swademaster broke off in Nederland hand headed to… After breakfast we decided to come down Golden Gate. Nick_ninja and Joecycle were ahead of me and Webman was behind me. One of the (left) turns I came in to fast and must have leaned it into the ground. I landed on my left arm, spun around and may have hit my head on the cement guard rail. All I know about the bike is it went down on the left and ended up on the right.
    I would like to point out that Webman did a great job by not running me over! Thanks Ricky!

The Bike:
    The tow yard took full advantage and just plane robbed me. The bike is now home and from the 5 mins I looked at it… All plastic is trashed, speedo gone (missing), forks tweaked, front rim bent, back rim bent, swing arm possibly bent, shifter nob broken, exhaust rashed but usable, busted tail light, not sure how the frame is (vortex frame sliders).

My family is taking great care of me.
    Some of you mentioned if I need any thing… ill let you all know in a few months when im back on my feet and trying to get the bike in rideable condition. Oh and money lots and lots of money…
    2004 Blue GSX-R 600 Ghetto Fenderectomy

Quote Originally Posted by Centrios View Post
    I would like to point out that Webman did a great job by not running me over! Thanks Ricky!
    Talk about MSF training techniques coming into play! Quick stop in a corner FTW!

Glad to hear you're doing well man! Bummer about the talus, Hopefully surgery goes well!
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

Holy Crap! That's unreal!! Glad to hear you're home and in good care Nick...we'll have to swap surgery stories down the road. I'm carrying a plate and 9 screws in my wrist (snowboarding accident) so see if you can top that with yours ;-)
    "The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."
    - Unknown

"You can't fix stupid with a reboot..."
    - K. Moore

Quote Originally Posted by shadigirl View Post
    Holy Crap! That's unreal!! Glad to hear you're home and in good care Nick...we'll have to swap surgery stories down the road. I'm carrying a plate and 9 screws in my wrist (snowboarding accident) so see if you can top that with yours ;-)

I may only be getting two screws but ill bet there bigger

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

I busted my Talus bone and have a counter sunk T screw in there to this day. Take all your drugs and ask for more when they are gone. If you need anything lemme know.

N_N
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Thanks Nick. I hope i didn't ruin the rest of your guy's ride.

How did your talus surgery go? Are you having any of the arthritis problems that are supposedly frequent with this injury?
    Last edited by Centrios; Wed Oct 10th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.

Good to hear you're okay! Now max the cc and get a new bike, wrap that shit in some duct tape and lets go ride. j/k Glad everything is going to be alright and we'll hit it up in spring! If you need anything, give a holla.

Glad to hear you'll be ok. Get plenty of rest and heal up quick.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Quote Originally Posted by Centrios View Post
    Thanks Nick. I hope i didn't ruin the rest of your guy's ride.

How did your talus surgery go? Are you having any of the arthritis problems that are supposedly frequent with this injury?
    This happened in 1984 on 20 April. I was 27 at the time. I had to have two surgeries. The first surgery they attempted to do a closed reduction but there was way too much crap (shrapnel) in the joint. They packed me up with sterile dressings and put me in a half cast and sent me home for a week to let the swelling subside. It did but the infection set in.

After four hours under the knife --- two hours of that irrigating the mess --- the job was complete.

Arthritis is there. It doesn't bother me unless I clime 14ers or walk more than ten miles in a day. Drugs are my friend. It is what it is.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Quote Originally Posted by swademaster View Post
    Glad to hear you'll be ok. Get plenty of rest and heal up quick.
    Thanks, im already on the road to recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    This happened in 1984 on 20 April. I was 27 at the time. I had to have two surgeries. The first surgery they attempted to do a closed reduction but there was way too much crap (shrapnel) in the joint. They packed me up with sterile dressings and put me in a half cast and sent me home for a week to let the swelling subside. It did but the infection set in.

After four hours under the knife --- two hours of that irrigating the mess --- the job was complete.

Arthritis is there. It doesn't bother me unless I clime 14ers or walk more than ten miles in a day. Drugs are my friend. It is what it is.
    Dam, what did you do? step on a land mine?

I broke my ankle sat morning and had the same deal. Go home for 6 days with a bottle of percocet and try to get the swelling down.

I had my surgery Friday morning. From what I hear it went smoothly. (the surgeon had other surgeries to do, so he told my mother how it went while i slept in recovery) Mine was considerably more simple. they put two 3" or so screws in the talus bone, a total of 50 min surgery. No cutting or slicing. just a couple of scares from where the screws entered the skin. They crappy x-ray they gave me is a little unsettling but im glad its done and ill be better eventually.

Glad to hear it. Take ALL your drugs (no --- not all at once) and recoup.

Account Deactivated at users request DARK ANGEL's Avatar

Glad he is ok for the most part, he will live to ride again! Too bad though, GET WELL!!

Glad to hear you're doing good Nick! Bike's can always be replaced.