Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposal for a MRA ladies class!!!

Proposal for a MRA ladies class!!!

Hey Everyone this petetion will be made to the MRA board Thursday, October 11, 2007 at 7.00pm at Breckenridge Brewery - interested in proposing a ladies only class in attempt to draw more ladies in the MRA listed below is the proposal - your support can materialize this class - during the October meeting the request will be presented and in November with your support, it will be ruled on, please post your comments or send me a PM - greatly appreciate it!

SCOPE
    Proposal: Ladies of the Rockies (LOR) Amateur class for female racers.

1. Rider Eligibility
    - Must be Female (Sex change operations will be considered with documentation from physician)
    - Valid MRA Racing License
    - Novice / Expert Combined

2. Motorcycle Eligibility
    - Motorcycles are of unrestricted origin.
    - Unlimited displacement, engine configurations and modifications

3. Schedule Solutions
    - Race to be run as the second wave of a two-wave start with Lightweight GP.
    - No change to already established Race Day schedule.

BENEFITS
    1. Incentive for new female racers to join and participate with the MRA
    - Seeing a small, well-organized class just for women has a strong potential to draw new racers into the organization.

2. Increased participation from existing membership
    - Current female members would have an additional class to register and compete in that does not conflict with classes that any females are currently racing in.

3. No impact to the race day schedule
    - Class would be run behind Lightweight GP and would not impact the current schedule in any way.

Full thread posted on MRA Rules & Tech Forum
    Last edited by Grant_Me_Revenge; Wed Oct 10th, 2007 at 10:41 PM. Reason: update Thursday at Breck's

Re: Proposal for a MRA ladies class!!!

I would suggest you make it a non contingency class (might make it easier to get it through), and if it is Amateur is there a "bump" policy for the top finishers?
    We tried a formula 40 class a couple years ago and couldn't get enough support to get it in. And there are a lot of old farts in the MRA
    Last edited by Bueller; Sun Oct 7th, 2007 at 01:20 PM.

I'll support it! Over the past few years I've talked to several girls who didn't feel comfortable racing with guys but would be all over an all-girls class!

------------------------
    Student Driver Racing / My Little Pony Racing
    Aerobics instructor seeks optical illusion...#502, baby

now with bi-turbo goodness Site Admin Mel's Avatar

I posted in the other thread, but yeah I am definitly in. Figure I let the guys all beat me, might as well let the girls beat me too.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

I posted in the other thread as well....

We ran a "Ladies Class" in the MRA in the mid-90's. First year or two there were ok grids, maybe 8-9 of us, then it dwindled and they killed the class. I always thought it was a good thing, since it was one more class I could run during the day. Same deal, we were on the track with another class....might've been the thumpers, can't remember now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    I would suggest you make it a non contingency class (might make it easier to get it through), and if it is Amateur is there a "bump" policy for the top finishers?
    We tried a formula 40 class a couple years ago and couldn't get enough support to get it in. And there are a lot of old farts in the MRA
    The above proposal is good, to grid w/ Lightweight GP. I don't think there will be an objection to the class if the schedule stays the same--it's just if there's enough interest to warrant it. There were never enough entries to matter novice or expert when we ran it before, it was open to anyone interested. How many women are racing now?

BTW, when I ran the Ladies Class we had a cash purse--money every weekend.

My favorite proposal was the "Revised" formula 40 class Where the combined age of rider and bike had to be over 40. I don't think it was ever seriously considered.
    2018 Ducati Panigale V4s -- Stock
    2017 Nissan Titan XD -- Stock
    2009 BMW 135i -- Far from Stock
    1966 Brechcraft Super III Musketeer -- Stock

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

It's an expensive sport. I'd be all over it if I had the fundage, honestly.

I'm not intimidated by the guys either. It really is all about the money. Regardless, I'm gonna at least attempt to do a track day or two.

I think the idea of making a woman's class would definitely draw women. It would draw me, just to get my feet wet and then see where to go from there. Of course, I'm just dreaming out loud.

I do like this idea, though.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Holy Crap...I replied to this on the MRA board, and, as I told you at the last weekend, I would definitely do this (you can't count on me until the second MPH weekend, though...call me, I'll explain) and I had even forgoteen about contigency...

Hell Yeah...I now recind my concerns about the speed differential...I don't really give a crap, as long as the slower folks and LWGP kids don't...Money? Gimme sum

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Sasha,

I think this is a fantastic idea. Women are the fastest growing segment of the motorcycle community and a women's only class would be a great addition to the MRA. I'll be happy to place my vote in favor at the rule change meeting!

Heading over to the MRA board to post a similar message. Hope to see you soon!

Scott

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

I think this is definitely a great idea, but I'm with Mtnairlover on the cost of racing .. Right after I rob a bank, I'm in !!!!!!
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    We ran a "Ladies Class" in the MRA in the mid-90's. First year or two there were ok grids, maybe 8-9 of us, then it dwindled and they killed the class.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    It's an expensive sport. I'd be all over it if I had the fundage, honestly.

I remember the ladies class - Tracy Schalow and Wyeth Jackson always were beating up on everyone else. The problem with the class (and for the record I am not against it) is the combination of the above two quotes. If you start with only 8-9 people racing and add in the cost, crashing,etc very quickly you end up with 1-3 entries per weekend. That was the reason it was killed last time. Look at Rocky Mountain Supermoto - they are really struggling to fill grids at the end of the season because of attrition. If you can get about 20 women interested in it, it would make for a more full class. And who doesn't like sweaty women in head to toe leather?
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

I think it's a great idea! Thinking of racing next year... you can count me in Sasha!
    Jennifer Hom l MRA #888

Thanks to all my 08 sponsors

Sick Girlz/ Vitamin Energy/ Vanmar Michelin/ Brother's BBQ/ G Force Powersports

Quote Originally Posted by Filo View Post
    I remember the ladies class - Tracy Schalow and Wyeth Jackson always were beating up on everyone else. The problem with the class (and for the record I am not against it) is the combination of the above two quotes. If you start with only 8-9 people racing and add in the cost, crashing,etc very quickly you end up with 1-3 entries per weekend. That was the reason it was killed last time. Look at Rocky Mountain Supermoto - they are really struggling to fill grids at the end of the season because of attrition. If you can get about 20 women interested in it, it would make for a more full class. And who doesn't like sweaty women in head to toe leather?

I agree, the question with any new class is will it draw enough entries to justify it. But that's what's great about club racing. The MRA can try this class again for one year, and if grids are too small take it off the schedule. It just has to have enough support to get voted in.

When we ran it before, there were some women who were up to speed and some who were just learning. But that's no different than a lot of other classes. Often a couple of "racer girlfriends" on the racer's bike too--all good. No biggie, it's a v small grid and you deal with a lot more chaos in novice or amatuer. Which most of the girl racers were also running.

Oh, and I'm Wyeth. Filo = Adam? I haven't seen you in eons.

Oh, and I'm Wyeth. Filo = Adam? I haven't seen you in eons.

Yep, it is me. It hasn't been eons Wyeth - only about 13 years or so.

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

Yep, it is me. It hasn't been eons Wyeth - only about 13 years or so.

No, not that long! But a while.

How's supermoto? We ran into Paul Nafziger at Endurocross a couple weeks ago. I think he's out of all that these days.

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

.......blahblahblah

Article 4, section 7:
    All female racers in these classes must ride topless.

blahblahblah........
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Sounds like an idea that might have enough interest to sustain itself.

This and the the 250 class Ralph was proposing could be a great forum to bring a lot of new entry level riders into racing.

(Oh, and +1 on the topless suggestion.)
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

How's supermoto?

OK, everyone else listen up too.

Supermoto is great. It is much more fun for the buck than roadracing was. You should all get supermoto bikes and come out and race too. It will cost about as much as a set of tires (not really, but I am trying to lie my way into what I want).

It will cost about as much as a set of tires (not really, but I am trying to lie my way into what I want).
    But they last 3-4 times as long

OK, everyone else listen up too.

Supermoto is great. It is much more fun for the buck than roadracing was. You should all get supermoto bikes and come out and race too. It will cost about as much as a set of tires (not really, but I am trying to lie my way into what I want).
    Holy Thread-Jacker...
    Back to the subject at hand...Sash...what day are you proposing this, so I can plan to be there? Let me know if there is anything I can do to help...wrangle up purse contributors, etc...Is thereany thought that a petition might help? I am sure Jenny sees a lot of female riders...

Quote Originally Posted by ctb View Post
    Holy Thread-Jacker...
    Ooops, that would be my ADD kicking in.

So, I say submit the proposal to the rules committee and then start campaigning to get votes during the rules meeting. It will be just like next November (200. Except without the national news coverage. (End of thread jacking atonement).

Meeting - Breckenridge Brewery 7.00pm Thursday October 11
    Last edited by Grant_Me_Revenge; Wed Oct 10th, 2007 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Breck's at 7.00

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grant_Me_Revenge View Post
    The proposal will be presented as a rule change Thursday (tomorrow) to the board - then during the November meet EvErYoNe who shows to that meeting votes so the more important meeting to attend is in November - all rule changes get voted by the people that show up so mark your calenders for November 8th - will triple check that date but thats the one the people need to be in place to support - THANKS!
    It's also important to be at the rule change committee meeting, since that meeting directs what the committee recommends. If nobody shows in support of a suggestion at that meeting, it's likely that they'll recommend it NOT be done.

From Jimmy "I think Tony's sexy" Brewer on the MRA board:

I would like to shut down the rule proposal period on Oct 13th and have the rule change committee meeting on Nov 3nd, likely at Breck Brew. I will check into the meeting venue possibility and post something official on the Annoucements forum.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

I'll do my best to be at the voting meeting 11/8. Let me know if there's anything that can be done before that to campaign for people to show up (or send proxy votes?)

I'll vote for the topless thing if at the same time the rules are amended so that everyone in Middleweight Superbike rides naked.