Thread: UNEVEN PAVEMENT

UNEVEN PAVEMENT

Input is appreciated...

I was on my way home headinig somewhat north on 470 near Morrison exit. I was getting onto the highway when I realized the highway pavement was new and about 2-3 inches higher than that on the on-ramp. I have encountered this before but never to this extent. NOo graduation what so ever, literally a huge 90 degree wall that I would hit at about a 45 degree angle. I was traveling about 60 and preparring to merge into traffic when I realized the situation so my instinct was to throttle to unload the front until the front wheel was over and then lay of the throttle in order to take weight off of the rear. I got some pretty good tank slap, recoverd quickly, checked shorts and was on my way but I couldn't help thinking about the what if. Any words of wisdom in that sitch??

Thanks
    Being in love means never having to say….anything. You're both too busy looking at your smartphones.

2011 Gixxer 750
    2013 YZFR1 Gotham City Special (Sold…sad day….)
    2007 Ninja ZX - 10R SE (RIP)
    2005 GSXR600 Track (Sold)
    2009 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    2009 Kawi zx6r ME Editions (Sold)
    1992 Fzr 600 Street (Retired)

Re: UNEVEN PAVEMENT

Best bet: constant throttle or slight acceleration, stand on the pegs slightly to unweight the seat, and hit the edge as close to 90 degrees as possible. Then, after the drama, check shorts, remove pucker marks from seat cover, and be on your way.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

BTW Jim, this is Ted from Compass Bank. I have the 2007 ZX10R and we've talked a few times. Thanks for all of your good input. I got the PCIII and the Akro CF pipes on (with some assistance) and had a map put on the commander. Dyno'd at over 156 and change on Saturday, not too bad. Thanks for your input on the thread! ( LOL ...remove pucker marks!! Ha ha)
    Being in love means never having to say….anything. You're both too busy looking at your smartphones.

2011 Gixxer 750
    2009 GSXR 600 (Sold)

Question Re: UNEVEN PAVEMENT

Quote Originally Posted by TRON636 View Post
    I got the PCIII and the Akro CF pipes on (with some assistance) and had a map put on the commander. Dyno'd at over 156 and change on Saturday, not too bad. Thanks for your input on the thread! ( LOL ...remove pucker marks!! Ha ha)
    Sorry, I just have to ask. Why would you be trying to increase the horsepower of a bike that is already a beast, yet uneven pavement is a new and frightening experience?

Seriously, I am not flaming here. It just seems counterintuitive to me.
    2017 CBR 1000RR SP2
    2019 Monkey

MSF RiderCoach

Smart Ass
    Track day junkie,
    Cat hater,
    and Mopar addict...
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step...

Good question and I don't have a catchy answer. I guess cause I was able to get the pipes off of Ebay for a steal and I talked the guy into throwing in the PCIII for practically nothing. 400 for the whole nine yards, not too bad. They look good and sound great. My bike says thank you for the compliment.

2011 Gixxer 750
    2009 GSXR 600 (Sold)

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Pop the front brake to load the suspension, then gas it and yank up on the bars! AKA, bunny hop that bad boy over the ledge!
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Quote Originally Posted by Crashdaddy View Post
    Sorry, I just have to ask. Why would you be trying to increase the horsepower of a bike that is already a beast, yet uneven pavement is a new and frightening experience?

Seriously, I am not flaming here. It just seems counterintuitive to me.
    if you are going to ask that, i would ask why by a 1000cc bike for the street at all?
    you list an ex500,rc51 and a 06 gsxr 1k. all fun bikes but why do you need the gsxr 1000?
    any modern 600 is fast enough for any street riding.

Adding a pipe and power commander does not always mean they want more power but you usually get that.
    some people add a slip on for the sound and the pc mapped to make it run well with the exhaust mod. you also get better throttle response and some times fuel milage as well.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

I do not NEED a 1000, I WANT one. If I lived at sea level, it would probably BE a 600 (or maybe a 750, as that would very closely match the actual horsepower my 1000 is making at 5000 feet). Yes, it is more than I need for the street. It is more than ANYONE needs for the street. I do take it to the track fairly regularly, as that is the only place I can really let it stretch it's legs. Who decides what size bike we should have? My 900 Ninja was ridiculously fast and "overkill" for the street back in 1985. Would it be now? Is my RC51 overkill for the street? Modern 600's can readily stomp my Miss Piggy Honda. Would that not then make 600's too much for the street?

I do not ride like a jackass on the street, as after 35 years of riding I have learned my lessons (it took several, but I finally got it). But what I DO enjoy is being able to leave the bike in one gear and being lazy about shifting. Don't care who you are, you cannot do that with a 600. There was a time when I actually would enjoy wringing a bikes neck to get the most out of it. Too old for that now.

I guess you would have to show me a bike that had an aftermarket exhaust and a powercommander (correctly mapped), yet the horsepower or torque did not increase at some point in the power band. That would be a serious detriment to Dynojet's sales numbers, as well as the manufacturer of the exhaust system.

And you are correct, some times people just want the sound or looks of a slip on or full system. The sad thing is, if they spent that money on suspension and training, they would be a hell of a lot happier and safer.

Not sure why this thread is heading in this direction, but I am good with it. The point I was trying to make is simple. I have seen far too many new riders get hurt because they were not ready for the speed/power of a liter bike. Most anyone can ride one when everything is good, but it is the times when things are going bad that it can turn ugly. And things can go bad simply because the bike is accelerating a hell of a lot quicker than they were ready for. I was not bashing anybody. Because I make part of my living doing rider training, and hear horror stories more than I want to, I get concerned. That is all.

Ride safe.

Dean
    2017 CBR 1000RR SP2
    2019 Monkey

MSF RiderCoach

Smart Ass
    Track day junkie,
    Cat hater,
    and Mopar addict...
    Admitting you have a problem is the first step...

Face it Dean, you need a liter ride cuz you hit the Donut Stop on the way to work every day. J/K, j/k. Please don't kick me in the knee Dean.

Have pity on me, I've been demoing Condor Pit Stops for 12 hours today. I think I pushed that damn SV in an out over 500 times.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Stay loose! The bike will is better at straightening out the the rider.
    Nate
    If you think you need 1000cc in the Canyons you just need bigger balls...

Dean, I was not trying to flame you just point out other reasons for a certain thing. I agree, a big bike (1000cc) is over kill for street riding. I have been racing for a few years and dont think i have all the skill needed to be fast on a big bike.
    Graduated licensing might work to save more lives but i dont think it will ever happen here.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

rc51 is perfect for the street, it's fun to ride, but too heavy and slow to be dangerous I kid!
    as far as the OP, I have encountered the same more often then I would like to. I always try to take it straight on as possible, slow down, and stand up a bit as I hit it. Granted the situation will always determine if it's possibly, or safe, to do these thing and to what extent. good luck and stay safe bud!

Quote Originally Posted by mushin_man39 View Post
    Pop the front brake to load the suspension, then gas it and yank up on the bars! AKA, bunny hop that bad boy over the ledge!

I visualized leaving the sidewalk and entering the drive-able lot of Safeway.
    It works! Slow in, Fast out
    "Sarcasm is difficult to convey on the internet, especially if the people reading it don't know you personally". By Spiderman
    Neither irony nor sarcasm is argument. By Rufus Choate
    Be smart, be nice, do what'cha love and always have fun.
    Let food be your medicine, and medicine be your food. - Hippocrates
    I will use treatment to help the sick. I will never use it to injure them or wrong them. I will not give poison to anyone. - The Hippocratic Oath

I find those uneven parts of the road all over. Or for some reason they road has a huge dip in it, where it looked like someone did a buzz cut on the road. I always grip the handles as tight as I can and hope for the best. I have been riding for about 3 years now, and haven't fallen from an uneven road, but they are always nerve racking.

Uneven pavement always gives me a scare at first but never really gives me much trouble.

Several years ago, I was riding at night thru a construction project and did not see the ridge and made a lazy lane change from old to new pavement...put me on my ass instantly.

I generally try to steer into the ridge and gas it. Also, if you have a choice of lanes with old and new pavement going in the same direction, get on the new stuff in case you need to change lanes quickly. No prob going from the new higher pavement to the lower pavement.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Ride it out motocross style. Get up on the pegs and get looser in your grip on the handlebars. You will suck it up nicely then without the tank slapper.

As for riding the pegs, just ask anyone in the MRA about taking Turn 10 at Pueblo ... it works.

PG
    ApriliaFalcoSL1000 - SOLD!
    2007 CBR600RR - Lawnmower on crack.

Haha Pueblo, I'm from Pueblo with our shitty little track. That thing is destroyed. Tell Rex Harvey to fix it. Like that will ever happen. The city of Pueblo is doing their best to shut down that entire area. especially the dirt stuff. And as the city grows, the whole place will eventually be shut down. sorry off topic. Oh yeah Peublo has shitty roads too. No even pavement anywhere. Pueblo west is worse gravel on the roads year round and no street lights. Some days it seems the learning curve is vertical.

Quote Originally Posted by PrillerGrrl View Post
    Ride it out motocross style. Get up on the pegs and get looser in your grip on the handlebars. You will suck it up nicely then without the tank slapper.

As for riding the pegs, just ask anyone in the MRA about taking Turn 10 at Pueblo ... it works.

PG
    And Jesus spake: Thou shalt always keep thy front tire upon the earth... Unless of course chicks are watching.