Thread: QUICK SHIFTING

QUICK SHIFTING

AKA Clutchless shifting,

So I was reading in SR mag that clutchless shifting is a normal thing and OK for sportbikes in general. I also was told by a guy I know that Drag Races that you have to have a quick shift kit like PC offers.

What is the right answer? or at least the most convincing opinion?????

Do I shift with out clutch? If so, can I leave the throttle wide open? Get a quick shift kit? I have heard it all and just want the bike to shift quickly without hurting my sled. What do you racer guys use?
    Being in love means never having to say….anything. You're both too busy looking at your smartphones.

2011 Gixxer 750
    2013 YZFR1 Gotham City Special (Sold…sad day….)
    2007 Ninja ZX - 10R SE (RIP)
    2005 GSXR600 Track (Sold)
    2009 GSXR 600 (Sold)
    2009 Kawi zx6r ME Editions (Sold)
    1992 Fzr 600 Street (Retired)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: QUICK SHIFTING

The racer guys will use some kind of quick shifter which is an ignition interruptor to give the bike just enough slack on the drive line to allow the shift. You are perfectly fine shifting your sportbike without pulling in the clutch, but without a quickshifer you'll need to let off the gas a little to make it happen.

scott

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Too bad I just sold my spare quickshifter

JPL Racing (Joe) can hook you up with a Cordona quicksifter at a good price.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

On the street just roll off the throttle enough to relieve the pressure on the transmission and firmly click it into the next gear. It's easy to do and as long as you're smooth you won't hurt anything.
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

i think you're confusing two different things. quickshifter kits and clutchless upshifting

quickshifter kits, which the drag guys use which cut ignition & use a solenoid attached to the shifter assembly, so you dont even need your foot to shift.

clutchless upshifting you can do on any modern sportbike, while on the throttle put a little bit of upward pressure on the shift lever, roll off the throttle just a bit & it will click up right into the next gear. i do it all the time on the street.
    2006 Lexus GX470
    2010 Ducati Streetfighter
    2007 Ducati M695
    1994 Yamaha TZ250 (track smoker)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thadius View Post
    Do I shift with out clutch? If so, can I leave the throttle wide open? Get a quick shift kit? I have heard it all and just want the bike to shift quickly without hurting my sled. What do you racer guys use?
    I've been doing it for 25 years on a variety of bikes with no ill effects. I do it by putting some pressure on the shift lever (doesn't take much) and rolling off the throttle ever so slightly to unload the transmission. It will pop right into the next gear. I should clarify that I do it for upshifting. I always use the clutch on downshifts.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

I've been playing with this one for a while. Still waiting for that horrible grind and snap. The ZZR 1200 is fine for the clutchless upshift (applying a little pressure lift to the lever and then blip the throttle); she just snickers right into the next gear.

While teaching in Little Rock I worked around with a 600RR and it could blip up or down without the clutch, no issues what so ever. I just had to keep the RPMs matched to the road speed when popping into lower gears. It was like having an automatic transmission. Nothing like coming up to a stop sign from fourth gear and only using the clutch to feather the friction zone to get the bike to balance at a full stop without putting the feet down and then rolling out without a clutch for the up shift. Fun stuff.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

I am the US importer for a brand of quickshifter named Cordona (as DK said earlier)

On the street you don't NEED a quick shifter. You can , as already mentioned, take the load off the tranny by slightly cracking the throttle and shifting positivly to the next gear.

From that point there are two methods that can be accomplished with the term quick shift. First is a handle bar mounted device that is pressed to actually create the shift in the tranny, like drag bikes use. The second is a quickshifter like Cordona makes. It is a ignition but off device that takes the load off the tranny and allows a full throttle upshift without any damage to the gears etc.

I hope that makes sense. If you are trying to create a full throttle shift while still using your foot on the linkage, then what you want is a quick shifter, if you are trying to create a shift via a handle operated shifter then what you are looking for is a air shifter.

Let me know if you have questions

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

All good info guys thanks. I am pretty good with the clutchless upshift and I know the bike needs to have some throttle relief at the time of shift. I was at Pueblo for the Labor Day wekend races and loved how fast the race bikes scream through shifts. Gotta admit, pretty cool. I dont need a push button shifter but I like the idea of staying on the throttle when shifting up. Joe, how much do those typically go for? (So I can save my allowance)
    PS What do you guys recommend for setting on my Ohlins sterring Damper? Clockwise all the way, counter all the way in the middle. What does one or the other do. I am retarded.......
    Being in love means never having to say….anything. You're both too busy looking at your smartphones.

2011 Gixxer 750
    2009 GSXR 600 (Sold)

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

You don't need a pushbutton arrangement, there is a switch that gets installed on your shift linkage for the quickshifter.

Here is a link to the set up that Joe sells. I've used this system on others bikes and it works as advertised!

http://rebellionmotorsports.com/quickshifters.asp

Now, for your steering damper, there isn't a "recommended" setting for those. It's a trial and error process, but here would be my suggestion. The place I notice problems most often at pueblo is either exiting turn 3 or turn 4 as both of those turns exit heading downhill. It tends to let the front of the bike want to pick up a little bit. If you are experiencing head shake there, turn it up a click. If not, turn it down a click until you start to experience a problem and then go back one click. Ideally the setting will be the LOWEST possible setting that prevents head shake.

See you at the track!

Thad, we have the same bike so here is what it looks like installed. TFOG installed mine in 45 minutes. It will also work with the stock rearsets (I sold my woodcraft's and put my stock ones back on) so give Joe a call and hook yourself up yo!!!
    Last edited by konichd; Mon Dec 3rd, 2007 at 12:23 PM.

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Notes on quickshifters:

1. If you want full throttle clutchless upshifts, you need the switch for the throttle linkage(Like Cordona or Dynojet sells, make sure you get one for the correct shift pattern, either standard or GP). Your PC III has quickshifter capability built in, but it has to be activated via a simple software change.

2. Clutchless upshifts without a quickshifter require you to roll off the throttle slightly, as stated by others. My experience is that some bikes like this more than others, and most will only do it smoothly at higher rpm.

3. Clutchless downshifts are generally easier on lighter bikes, and only with careful matching of RPM.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Jim,

The nice thing about the Cordona brand is that one unit works in either push or pull configuration. So you don't have to mess around with different linkages for different rearsets.

Thadius, please go to www.rebellionmotorsports.com you can find all the info you need. Please note that I am currently out of stock and waiting on a shippment that should arrive in around the begining of December

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Notes on quickshifters:

1. If you want full throttle clutchless upshifts, you need the switch for the throttle linkage(Like Cordona or Dynojet sells, make sure you get one for the correct shift pattern, either standard or GP). Your PC III has quickshifter capability built in, but it has to be activated via a simple software change.

2. Clutchless upshifts without a quickshifter require you to roll off the throttle slightly, as stated by others. My experience is that some bikes like this more than others, and most will only do it smoothly at higher rpm.

3. Clutchless downshifts are generally easier on lighter bikes, and only with careful matching of RPM.

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by jplracing View Post
    Jim,

The nice thing about the Cordona brand is that one unit works in either push or pull configuration. So you don't have to mess around with different linkages for different rearsets.

Thadius, please go to www.rebellionmotorsports.com you can find all the info you need. Please note that I am currently out of stock and waiting on a shippment that should arrive in around the begining of December

Joe
    Hey Joe can I put one on the YZ?

I have an 05' R6, and I only clutch 1st, AND if I'm going slow up through the geers.

If I want to go fast I just clutch first -- that's it -- and for the rest I let off the throttle just a touch and shift up without touching the clutch. It is very smooth as if I had used the clutch. Note I'm not letting off the gas a lot, just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    Notes on quickshifters:

Nice information! If you setup for GP, but want to ride through downtown at the speed limit are there any adjustments you have to make?

Quote Originally Posted by Thadius View Post
    PS What do you guys recommend for setting on my Ohlins sterring Damper? Clockwise all the way, counter all the way in the middle. What does one or the other do. I am retarded.......
    http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthre...g+D amper+mod

The damper that comes on the ZX-10R is actually pretty week because the Ohlins has a larger bleed orifice, the aftermarket one has different valving. Do the above damper mod and you'll be good to go. Right now the things about as useful as a pixie stick

Then proceed forward with Rybo's suggestion.
    Last edited by konichd; Fri Nov 9th, 2007 at 04:02 PM.

Koni, that link was no bueno. Can you double check it for me? I'd like to check it out,thanks!

2011 Gixxer 750
    2009 GSXR 600 (Sold)

Dang! Just go to www.zx-10r.net and do a search for "damper mod" and it should come up. Basically just swap out the oil with a heavier weight fork oil.