Thread: R6 rear preload adjustment

R6 rear preload adjustment

So I know how to turrn it to new levels with the C-spanner and all that, but I was just looking for tips on how to get all of the weight off of the rear spring to do it. The R6 has those 2 little tabs that won't let you crank on the spring unless the wieght is off of it. I don't think a paddock stand would work for this, my idea was to either have a couple of my buddies hold the back up, or I would put a 2x4 under the subframe and lift it up onto some blocks.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Spiderman, is it the same on the R1. If so, I imagine you probably adjusted yours. How did you do it?

I suppose there is also some way I could carefully use a floor jack. I don't know though.

The floor jack is working well for me as I'm replacing my rear shock, but I have a front headstock stand, and also suspended the rear subframe from the rafters in my garage with tie-down straps.
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/i..._bike_rear.jpg

I put a scrap piece of 2x4 on the jack, and lifted the rear of the bike from the rear engine casing. That seems like an awful lot of work just to change the preload though, I'd probably just get a friend or 2 to lift the rear while you turn the adjuster.

Hope that helps.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    http://www.3dstickfight.com/racing/
    Racing Performance Services, Racer Supply Co., Morse Racing Products
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

Thanks for the input. Right now I'm thinking about just going with the idea of using my buddies, after all, once it's lifted up it will only take a matter of seconds.

Re: R6 rear preload adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by CSUAdam
    Spiderman, is it the same on the R1. If so, I imagine you probably adjusted yours. How did you do it?
    I don't know if it's exactly the same as the R6 (I don't remember any tabs which would prevent me from adjusting it). I just had it up on the center stand (l didn't do anything elaborate like jacking it up or suspending it from the ceiling, and I don't even have a front stand). It may have been difficult to make that first turn, but once I made the first one, the others were a cinch.

Hope this helps.

PS: congrats on the new purchase!

The little tabs I'm talking about are just above the collar on the top off the shock on both sides. The R6 has a series of steps on the collar that let you know what position the preload is in. The higher the preload, the higher the step is on the collar. The only thing is, I belive the tabs don't move, or at leastnot easily, so if you are trying to add more preload it has no way of moving up to the next step. I could be wrong in this matter, but this is just what I have observed.

Yakuza, do you know anything about this?

I can't imagine the shock would be designed to require lifting of the rear end to adjust the preload. I'm sure it would make it easier, but shouldn't be required. I'm having some trouble visualizing exactly what the issue is with the tabs. If you wanted to bring it by my place I'd be happy to take a look and see if we couldn't get it adjusted right for you.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    ”Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature nor do the children of humankind as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing."
    -- Helen Keller

There's a reason that tool is called "knuckle buster". I usually get a hammer and just bang it if I can't pull it by hand / don't want to. They're never easy to adjust...

Thanks for the offer Yakuza but it won't be needed. I feel like a bit of a dumb ass right now. All it needed was a little elbow grease. If you push hard enough the little tabs will eventually seat into the next postion. I think it was mostly about loosening the thing up first. It was tough getting it to move the first notch but the next notch was a lot easier. Thanks guys for your advice in this little adventure.

No problem, glad you got it all sorted out.
    Alex
    MRA #68
    -- Helen Keller