Thread: 20 MPH speedo error?????

20 MPH speedo error?????

Was riding with another rider last week.

At one point my speedo said 135, he said his only got up to 115. I bought my bike used and it has several modifications so is not far fetched to think the sprokets may be different.

Question is....how can I tell?

Will more or less teeth front/rear cause it to read to high? Would this result in more actual top end speed or more low end acceleration?

I'd like to gear it for more acceleration when I replace the chain soon.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
    http://www.myspace.com/maybeididit

"Not as long as I'm wearin' these Jamaican colors!"

2001 GSX-R750 Blue/White
    Carbon Fiber Yoshimura TRS Bolt-On

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: 20 MPH speedo error?????

Quote Originally Posted by blue750
    Was riding with another rider last week.

At one point my speedo said 135, he said his only got up to 115. I bought my bike used and it has several modifications so is not far fetched to think the sprokets may be different.

Question is....how can I tell?

Will more or less teeth front/rear cause it to read to high? Would this result in more actual top end speed or more low end acceleration?

I'd like to gear it for more acceleration when I replace the chain soon.

Thanks for any info you can offer.
    Any gearing change will affect your speedo and odometer. Gearing down (read: less teeth up front OR/and more teeth out back) will result in lower top end speed but increase low-end.

Also, that setup will cause more miles to be put on the ODO and a higher-than-actual speed displayed.

That being said, a reverse of the above will result a opposite results.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Board Newbie
    looks like you have 1 tooth down on the front sproket. you can buy a speedo healer & you can fix that problem.

Hope that helps. And to answer your other question about "how to tell"...

Go out on a HW, and find a milemarker. Reset your ODO and ride out the HW out as far as you can/want. 1 or 2 or 100 miles.

When you stop. Hopefully you stop at the completion of X mile you're on... Compare the ODO reading to how far you actually went.

Do the required math, and you can figure out what % your readings are off.

HW Milemarkers are very accurate and they are placed by engineers and such. That is your best bet.

Other school of thought is to pace a friend in a car and have them tell you what their SPEEDO says when yours says 50/60/100mph... Whatever... Obviously you have to have a signal worked out, whatever.

In my opinion, that school sucks. Go to my school.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Or borrow someone's GPS
    Scott
    Silver CBR1000RR

There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000RR
    Or borrow someone's GPS
    And then let me have it after tellin them you lost it.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

when bertha's bike is working, i just ride up next to him and look at his speedo, it's dead on....

Hey thanks for the suggestions!

I just had an idea!

I have a watch for runners that has a GPS unit you wear on your arm. It talks to the watch and tells your exact speed and distance.

I think I'll take a little trip.

I don't think I'll go back to the stock setup...my bike already pretty weak in the acceleration dept. Just doesn't pull like I think a 750 should. Ridden 600's with more ass kick it seems.

Thanks fellas.
    http://www.myspace.com/maybeididit

"Not as long as I'm wearin' these Jamaican colors!"

2001 GSX-R750 Blue/White
    Carbon Fiber Yoshimura TRS Bolt-On

Board Newbie
    You can use a bicycle computer. I put one on my Superhawk about 8000 miles ago and have had no problems with it. It is very acurate, I can ride for 20 or 30 miles and still be hitting the mile markers right on the money. It also gives you a clock, trip odometer, ride time, max speed, and odometer. I bought mine for about $30 and put it on a small bracket i built and attached to one of the instrument cluster bolts.