Thread: My First Bike

My First Bike

Hey,

I want to buy a bike soon but since it’s my first bike I don’t know what stuff I need to check on the bike and what stuff should give me the warning signal not to buy the bike, any suggestions/recommendations from your experience?

I would to like to buy the bike during the winter time since I can get a better price but I’m not sure if it’s a good time to check the bike. I’m worried that the bike will operate perfectly in the cold weather but in the summer when it’s hot it will have problems. Should I worry about something like that?

Is it a good idea to take the bike to the dealer for a complete checkup (grandprix motorsports charging $80 for that)?

Thanks!!

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Re: My First Bike

When looking at purchasing a bike, since you are a little newer, i would bring someone with you. Also is this the first time your on a bike? are you looking at a sports bike or something else? Whats you weight, height etc.. Just need a little more info

Tyrel

Also, if your interested, i have a suzuki GS500 05 for sale. Its a great starter bike. Light, easy to turn. Just a great bike to learn on. And it only has 2500 miles. I am forced to sale due to my child's hospital cost. Its never been laid down. i also have pic's. Also if you want to take it to a shop, i have to get serviced soon. We can take it to tfog. They are highly respected here on this board. and they will be able to tell you if my bike is a good bike or not.
    Last edited by t_jolt; Sun Dec 16th, 2007 at 10:56 AM.
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

Quote Originally Posted by t_jolt View Post
    When looking at purchasing a bike, since you are a little newer, i would bring someone with you. Also is this the first time your on a bike? are you looking at a sports bike or something else? Whats you weight, height etc.. Just need a little more info

Tyrel
    After completing the MSF course I rode my friend bike several times, yzf600r but he sold it. I want to buy a sport bike, my first choice will be r6 but I also like the yzf600r, gsx600r, xz-6r or cbr600. My friend tells me that it will be better to buy a ninja 500r or sv650 for a first bike. I’m 5’6” and weight 170.

aw your short just like me Im 5'7" on the ninja 650r just like the sv650 the sit on it was a little high for me so i had it lowered so i could be more flat footed and wouldn't end up dropping it at a stop light.so i would sugest getting something that you feel comfrontalbe on while the bike isnt moving
    R.I.P. Lahela 10/12/1986-08/01/2008

Want to become a super hero? http://www.donoralliance.org/info-page-1

"I don't fail I just succeed at finding ways that don't work."
    Chris Titus

CSC Spelling Bee Champ 2008 and 2009

i agree with tjolt bring someone who rides with you theyll hopfully know what to look for. eh a bikes a bike, you make it go. power is power you just have to know how to use it eh. i also have a bike fs
    good luck on your quest for a bike and ride safe eh. its addicting riding.
    Brat

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter t_jolt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by G35CO View Post
    My friend tells me that it will be better to buy a ninja 500r or sv650 for a first bike. I’m 5’6” and weight 170.

I agree with your friend on this. Its better to start out on a smaller bike, cause its easier to learn on. More forgiveness with the throttle. And when it goes down (yes it will probably happen, just cause your learning) It will be cheaper to repair. Also the 500's bike keep there resale value because there are always people just wanting to start out like you. We've all been in your spot. I must condone the fact you dont want a liter bike But where are you located? and if you need more help i would be willing to lend a hand. Also if you want to see how much a 500 still has you can give mine a test ride. My GS500 still gets my 6.1 230 pound frame up to 90 in no time.

Tyrel
    Mitsujagvettecedes 1000RXTS GTR

Hand built by Jerry Garcia, Dan Gurney, Chuck Norris and Duntov's ghost. GT97 turbo,
    8WD, berilium pistons, titanium rods, unobtanium crank. Block forged from the dead souls of Mongol warriors. Depleted Uranium Dog box, Flubber tires, and stage 87 axles.

-1.07 @5.7c

From all my friends only one of them own a bike and he doesn’t know a lot about bikes that’s why he sold it (I wish I had the cash to buy it) so bringing him will not help at all.

Is it a good idea to take the bike to the dealer/shop so they can check it? What dealer/shop you recommend?