Thread: Track Setup For the Daily Driver or Trackbike

Track Setup For the Daily Driver or Trackbike

I am looking for a little advise. After 6 track days last year with my roughly stock gixxer I am debating on what is the best setup for the time/money in order to avoid tearing up my bike with my eventual crash.

Option 1: Invest in track plastics, coolant swapping (again), wire wrapping ect on my daily driver. This would entail swapping back and fourth between between the two plastics. I may also look into a different setup of wheels in order to run different tires (would also require different sprockets and chain).

Option 2: Pick up a used track bike with some/all the track goodies. This may result in a salvage title.

In doing my research it seems option 2 would cost more at first but when the factor of time over the long term is applied I am not sure where the break point is. I am sure I am not the first to have this delima so please give me your thoughts on what is the cheapest and easiest way to take the next step into track riding.

Re: Track Setup For the Daily Driver or Trackbike

if you can afford it, get a dedicated track bike. If you crash your street bike on the track and total it, no more street or track days. If you crash your dedicated track bike and total it you will still have your street bike.
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Option 2 gives you more options. More expensive yes but it doesn't limit you as much. Option 1 only works if the bike is still rideable. If you crash and get engine damage option 1 will be useless
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by hcr25 View Post
    if you can afford it, get a dedicated track bike. If you crash your street bike on the track and total it, no more street or track days. If you crash your dedicated track bike and total it you will still have your street bike.
    mike
    +1
    Keep your street bike as a street bike. Buy a used race bike as a track steed. You can NEVER build one for what your can buy one for, unless the bike is free!
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I agree, get a track bike and keep your bike stock and on the street....I couldn't afford both, so I sold my street and went racing!

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

I agree. If you can afford a track and a street bike go that route.

It is a pretty time consuming process to swap everything back and forth. Especially if you want to go for a street ride and the bike is in track trim...just my .02

For what it is worth I believe there is a guy selling a 99 R6 on the MRA board for right around 2k. However I don't know anything about the bike

Good luck

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Thanks guys. That is pretty much the conclusion that I had come to as well. Just out of curiousity how long does it take you (now that you have done it a few times) to swap the track plastics back to street?

Usually takes me about 2 hrs or so but that is because I also swap fuel tanks and my street plastics are hanging from the rafters in my garage! Also think about the tires you will be using from street versus track as well.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

I have a 07' GSXR I bought last year new. After the engine in my Kawi blew (bike was paid off). I couldn't afford to have it repaird and needed cash so I sold it as is. I've done some track days each year since 2004 with the Kawi and never really thought about crashing it with the stock plastics. This year I'm planning on doing several more track days on the 750 and I'm contemplating buying race plastics along with all the sliders my bike can handle just in case I do go down. I'm not a speedster but I realize serious damage can still occur. After reading all the treads should I forgo taking the 750 on the track at all because of what may or may not happen. I can't afford to bike a race bike so is the concensus is to just do street and not track because if I crash I'm so so screwed? I undestand what your all saying if I do go down and how bad I go down. 2008 I really planned on learning more and improving my track riding. Track riding is what keeps me more interested and enthuiastic about riding more so than street riding (though I really enjoy street riding as well)! Bottomline I guess it is just like many things in life.....its a risk and deal with the consequencies. I'm trying to take as many precautions as I can in the event I do go down on the 750.

Red, I was in the your exact same position after I had my 03 R6 for a year. I took it to a school and never wanted to ride street again because you can do soo much on the track that would get you killed on the street. There is no gravel, unless someone crashes but they pick it up, everyone is going the same direction, there are no drunk drivers, no stupid drivers, maybe some that ride over their head though, and I think it is just a better atmosphere. Even if I had money, I don't think I would have a street bike because that year on the street was fun but scary at the same time. I rode my friends home one night because he didn't have any gear and about shit my pants, I was so uncomfortable on it because I wasn't at the track. I don't know how you guys can do it everyday with those big SUV's on the rode with the trophy wifes and business men on their cell phones....I guess my point, is I sacraficed gas mileage and the thrill the bike gives me on the street to buy a track bike which gives me more freedom than the street and I get to tone my skills which I wouldn't give up for anything. just my .02 cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Redflash3 View Post
    I have a 07' GSXR I bought last year new. After the engine in my Kawi blew (bike was paid off). I couldn't afford to have it repaird and needed cash so I sold it as is. I've done some track days each year since 2004 with the Kawi and never really thought about crashing it with the stock plastics. This year I'm planning on doing several more track days on the 750 and I'm contemplating buying race plastics along with all the sliders my bike can handle just in case I do go down. I'm not a speedster but I realize serious damage can still occur. After reading all the treads should I forgo taking the 750 on the track at all because of what may or may not happen. I can't afford to bike a race bike so is the concensus is to just do street and not track because if I crash I'm so so screwed? I undestand what your all saying if I do go down and how bad I go down. 2008 I really planned on learning more and improving my track riding. Track riding is what keeps me more interested and enthuiastic about riding more so than street riding (though I really enjoy street riding as well)! Bottomline I guess it is just like many things in life.....its a risk and deal with the consequencies. I'm trying to take as many precautions as I can in the event I do go down on the 750.

I have an '06 GSXR 750. This bike will be my street bike/track bike. This will be my first MRA season. Im taking the risk as far as using my "street" bike as my track bike. Ive come to realize all the downsides ie crashes, swapping to street trim if i do decide to run it on the street, etc.
    Honestly though, the bike wont see much time on the streets. There are too many dumbass cagers in colorado and i dont wanna be another statistic when a car decides to run my ass over and smear me across the pavement. Some other reasons why i wont ride street anymore are our roads are also horrible in so many places, i have one point left on my license, other street riders are a huge disaster as well (people coming back from iraq with a wad of cash and buying the fastest bike they possibly can when they have never ridden before), and after numerous track days last summer i cannot imagine riding my bike any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by GNGSXR View Post
    I have an '06 GSXR 750. This bike will be my street bike/track bike. This will be my first MRA season. Im taking the risk as far as using my "street" bike as my track bike. Ive come to realize all the downsides ie crashes, swapping to street trim if i do decide to run it on the street, etc.
    Honestly though, the bike wont see much time on the streets. There are too many dumbass cagers in colorado and i dont wanna be another statistic when a car decides to run my ass over and smear me across the pavement. Some other reasons why i wont ride street anymore are our roads are also horrible in so many places, i have one point left on my license, other street riders are a huge disaster as well (people coming back from iraq with a wad of cash and buying the fastest bike they possibly can when they have never ridden before), and after numerous track days last summer i cannot imagine riding my bike any other way.
    GNGXSR, what brand of race plactics are you using? I'm still looking around for a complete set.

Quote Originally Posted by GNGSXR View Post
    Honestly though, the bike wont see much time on the streets. Some other reasons why i wont ride street anymore are our roads are also horrible in so many places, i have one point left on my license
    GNGSXR, Just a suggestion, it would more cost efficient since you won't be on the street anymore to buy an already race prepped bike. You will save time and lots of money. If I were you, I would sell the street bike and use it for a race bike since it wont be on the street....that's what I did and I don't regret selling my first bike I learned to ride on....

Quote Originally Posted by D Berns R6 View Post
    GNGSXR, Just a suggestion, it would more cost efficient since you won't be on the street anymore to buy an already race prepped bike. You will save time and lots of money. If I were you, I would sell the street bike and use it for a race bike since it wont be on the street....that's what I did and I don't regret selling my first bike I learned to ride on....
    probably is a good idea but too late now. no turning back haha