Thread: Race Bodywork

Question Race Bodywork

I know this has been ask before but I need to inquire once again. I have not experience with race bodywork so I have a few questions:
    1. Should I have a professional install
    2. Since I'd be riding the bike regularly I'd need to know how to install and uninstall as well unless I pay someone to uninstall and reinstall before and after each trackday event. Are there any teachers out there who'd be willing to instruct me on the proper way to install, uninstall and put the stock bodywork back on?
    3. Is the procedure something someone like me who's not that mechanically inclined and short on tools can do?
    4. How much time (estimate) does the process take doing out of a garage?

I have a friend who has a friend who's willing to do me a discount on painting.

It's fiberglass very light not pre drilled. The fairing come in primered only.

Thanks,

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Re: Race Bodywork

You have a garage that puts you ahead of me. Fairings are pretty easy to take off and on. But I don't know how to on your bike. I know that they are something that you don't take off and on that much. If they are for racing only you might not want to have them painted with the best stuff you can find since they may get wrecked. But if you need some help let me know.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Unless you are really worried about a near perfect paint job and you are going to be going 1 color, I would suggest rattle can'in it. DupliColor with a clear coat and your done. The initial install with drilling and slider cuts can be a pain but it isn't rocket surgery. There should be some instruction with new bodywork. If you will be swapping back and forth learn to do it, practice will make you quicker.

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

Depends on the bodywork you purchased. If you bought some hunk o' junk major brand bodywork, (i.e. Hotbodies) you may find you have fitment problems regardless of what you do. Good luck.
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

There's a brief description of the fairings shown above. If I do buy I think I may just can paint it. I haven't bought it yet it's being sold on Ebay from a place called PIT-ECK. Anyone fimilar with there merchandise? The bodywork would need to be installed and uninstalled on and after each R2SL and hopefully several PMP trackdays. My golal here is to save my stock bodywork in case I do lay it down....trying to be proactive.

This is also something I have been wanting to learn how to do. If you want any help or just need someone to bring a six pack let me know.

I would recomend e-racings body work over pit-eck. They are on ebay also and its still cheap bodywork but its better quality. I used to be able switch body work and wheels in about an hour when I still rode on the street. Its not that hard to do. I hope this helps.
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

I had a friend that would switch before track days. About an hour tops for the full switch and draining the coolant.

You can install it yourself with a simple drill and a dremel. Just take your time and mount the lower before the upper. Your bodywork should have mounting points already marked. It makes it pretty easy. You may have some issues with exact fit, but fiberglass is pretty forgiving.

Paint and prep is not bad. Just sand and then wet sand. (I forget what grits to use, got that from the R6messagenet) and then rattle can or get a pal with a gun. That's what I did.

Otherwise you might have some issues with your stock fairing stay, and cluster without the headlight. That was the only thing a gixxer riding pal I knew had when mounting it up. The stay on his 03 was some dang plastic square mess! He just zip tied the cluster to the stay though.

Another option for cheap bodywork is Tromex. That's what I'm running on my track bike. Also don't forget Dzus fastners. kurveygirl.com has them on the cheap.

Cosp600rr and DK thanks for the assistance, I'm going to order a set from e-racing.

Quote Originally Posted by albinohickey View Post
    I had a friend that would switch before track days. About an hour tops for the full switch and draining the coolant.

You can install it yourself with a simple drill and a dremel. Just take your time and mount the lower before the upper. Your bodywork should have mounting points already marked. It makes it pretty easy. You may have some issues with exact fit, but fiberglass is pretty forgiving.

Paint and prep is not bad. Just sand and then wet sand. (I forget what grits to use, got that from the R6messagenet) and then rattle can or get a pal with a gun. That's what I did.

Otherwise you might have some issues with your stock fairing stay, and cluster without the headlight. That was the only thing a gixxer riding pal I knew had when mounting it up. The stay on his 03 was some dang plastic square mess! He just zip tied the cluster to the stay though.

Another option for cheap bodywork is Tromex. That's what I'm running on my track bike. Also don't forget Dzus fastners. kurveygirl.com has them on the cheap.
    How many Dzus fastners will I need I saw a pack of 3 for $18

minumum you will need 4 to connect the upper to the lower maybe 6. Some guys use them to mount the upper to the fairing stay.
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R