Thread: Key will not work - Help

AKA "Devaclis"

Key will not work - Help

I cannot get either of my 2 keys to turn the ignition on the 600RR. They both work fine on the lock for the trunk lid. I can insert them into the ignition but they will not turn it. Any suggestions on what may be wrong or how to fix this? Do I need to purchase a new ignition switch? Any idea on how much they are locally?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Re: Key will not work - Help

Stuck tumbler? You can take some light oil, graphite etc. Put it on the key and stroke it in and out of the lock. . The goal being to lube the stuck tumbler and free it so that it will let you turn the lock.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com

AKA "Devaclis"

Cool, I have the graphite. I will try that tonight. I am really just hoping that someone did not knock out the internals with a screwdriver.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

It's probably the fetzer valve, wrap in it gauze pad and prep it with some 3in1 oil .

Seriously though, it might also be frozen if moisture got in there.
    WD40 works well to blow it out.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    It's probably the fetzer valve, wrap in it gauze pad and prep it with some 3in1 oil
    It's all ballbearings these days.

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

TriFlow
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Seriously though, it might also be frozen if moisture got in there.
    WD40 works well to blow it out.
    Yep if it is indeed frozen, warm it up, get the moisture out with WD40, and then put a little powdered graphite in it. I wouldn't put oil in it.

On the other hand, she might just be finding out that you were considering off brands when looking for a bike...

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Or this is some BS excuse for not riding in this morning... 16F was a little nippy but it'll be worth it this afternoon when I take the long way home.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

WD40 is a dirt magnet, it may cure the symptom but may make things worse in the long run. If you have water, use compressed air, then dry lubricant (graphite).

AKA "Devaclis"

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Or this is some BS excuse for not riding in this morning... 16F was a little nippy but it'll be worth it this afternoon when I take the long way home.

Dirk
    Hell no. I rode the wifes' GS500F in this morning

I am not afraid of the cold

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Hell no. I rode the wifes' GS500F in this morning

I am not afraid of the cold
    Ok, the Universe is in order, then. It wasn't bad at all on the VFR. The fairing keeps the wind off of you pretty well.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

If the area around the keyhole isn't scratched up any more than usual that chances aren't high that someone screwdrivered it. You could always heat up the metal part of the key and then try it to see if it can unfreeze the lock.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

The gixxer did the same thing after I washed it last week. The next morning the tumbler was frozen, so I heated it , then it worked. Then again the next morning, so I heated it and blew it out. Hasen't happened again.
    Bashed Bikes, Fat Kids Inc., JDH Welding /Mental made me follow him into that corner... And then he followed me down that hill and then Dallas followed too!

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    WD40 is a dirt magnet, it may cure the symptom but may make things worse in the long run....
    True, any oil will hold grime that can gum the works.
    But WD40 does a great job displacing moisture.
    Gunsmiths have used it for years in the blueing/parkerizing process after the water bath to displace moisture.
    (So yeah, blow it out and lub it with graphite after.)

Also,
    Always thought a vertically mounted ignition lock was pretty dumb advent on modern bikes.
    Most older bikes had a side mounted ignition lock just for this reason.
    Last edited by Sortarican; Mon Jan 14th, 2008 at 02:17 PM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

Any damage on the lock? Is it possible it was vandalized since the last time you rode it?

I would imagine if a screw-driver was punched down in the ignition the key would feel really loose and there would be obvious damage.

Probably just frozen.
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

But WD40 does a great job displacing moisture.
    The "WD" stands for "water displacement". The 40 means "40th try" on the formula by the guy that developed it.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter McVaaahhh's Avatar

The "WD" stands for "water displacement". The 40 means "40th try" on the formula by the guy that developed it.

Dirk

Originally developed for the space program I believe...
    '02 RC-51 - Street
    '05 Pitster Pro 125 - Pitbike madness

Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet.

"Motorcycles tell us a more useful truth: we are small and exposed, and probably moving too fast for our own good, but that's no reason not to enjoy every minute of the ride."
    ~Dave Karlotski

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    I thought it was developed in conjunction with the Bic lighter for use in dealing with wasp's nests.....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Quote Originally Posted by McVaaahhh View Post
    Nope, it pre-dates the space program by a few years (early 50's). People think the same thing about Velcro but it too pre-dates the space program.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by TFOGGuys View Post
    I thought it was developed in conjunction with the Bic lighter for use in dealing with wasp's nests.....
    Among other things
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Qr7jbrbVvOU

Made for ICBM's and their long term storage

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    LOL,
    STOP/DROP/AND ROLL!!!!!!

.... and then put a little powdered graphite in it. I wouldn't put oil in it.

Dirk

I would not normally put oil in it either. But a light clean oil really helps if it is stuck. Graphite is great for keeping them lubed but does not free up stuck stuff very well. Easy enough to go back with brake parts cleaner to get rid of the oil once it is free moving.
    Cole
    07 R1 .....now KTM 950 ADV!!!
    07 WeeeeeeStrom!
    2x KLR650s
    www.MotumMagazine.com