Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got what it takes???

Got what it takes???

Turn your love for trackdays into something even better. Sign up now and get ready to race in the '08 season:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer
    Casey D

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Got what it takes???

If by "What it takes" you mean LOTS AND LOTS of money, then no, sorry
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Racing can be done on a budget with an inexpensive bike and running take offs. Stuff like that. You don't have to take out a second morgage to do it.
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cosp600rr View Post
    You don't have to take out a second morgage to do it.
    True, there is always Visa.

It can be done more cheaply, if you aren't going for new tires every weekend (the quicker racers will be doing this, some burn up a set per race at the top tiers), don't need super-bling paint and have to get it fixed every time you crash, and more (most?) importantly - just don't crash much. Most of the expense in racing is fixing the crap you break.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

I was thinking about a hauler, gas, travel related expenses, track and club fees, safety gear, heaters, coolers, tools, parts, fuel, and replacing wearable parts. I am sure it can be done for a reasonable price. But to be really competitive you need to have a little more than $0
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

some people do it for fun, some people do it to win. I took 3rd place last year as a novice on a 99 R6. not expensive at all. the season is fairly spread out, a little over a race per month. only two trips are out of state, throw the bike in the bed of the truck and sleep trackside if needed.
    Casey D

I think a lot of it comes down to how many other hobbies a person has. Right now I don't have a lot of other ones so a lot of my time and money can be spent on racing. When I stop racing it will go to something else
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Turn your love for trackdays into something even better. Sign up now and get ready to race in the '08 season:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer
    I printed of the MRA 20008 race school appl packet to sign up for the School only on 4/18. What is all covered during the school? I'm very excited to do a actual school even if it is only for one day.

You will have classroom sessions for a while and they will go over race procedures and flags and all that stuff. Then they will split you into groups for the ontrack part. They will go over lines, braking, passing and general safty. Then you will have to practice starts on the drag strip. After that they will grid you up for the moch race. Its only 3 laps but you will have the general idea after that. Just remember its a moch race and you wont be awarded anything if you win. Be sure to finish the race without crashing or you wont get your license. Good luck and have fun.
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I was thinking about a hauler, gas, travel related expenses, track and club fees, safety gear, heaters, coolers, tools, parts, fuel, and replacing wearable parts. I am sure it can be done for a reasonable price. But to be really competitive you need to have a little more than $0
    Don't have to have all the baller stuff to go racing. Just got back from Willow Springs this weekend. Threw the bike in the back of the truck and went racing. It was amazing that at least 50% of the racers were running gout of their trucks. Very few toy haulers, trailers, motorhomes, etc. Had a blast!!!

Brian

a couple other ways to help save on cost:

team up with someone, split travel expenses and learning experiences.

run takeoffs. you can usually score them pretty cheap if not free from some tire dealers, good racers, etc.

sell the street bike, i know to some this isn't an option but i can assure you that once you race you will never go back.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    a couple other ways to help save on cost:

team up with someone, split travel expenses and learning experiences.

run takeoffs. you can usually score them pretty cheap if not free from some tire dealers, good racers, etc.

sell the street bike, i know to some this isn't an option but i can assure you that once you race you will never go back.
    I second all of that. It will change your life in a fantastic way
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

If you complete the Race School course can you get your Competition License and/or AMA membership somewhere down the road?
    I might be into taking the course but probably wouldn't race until next year (or even the year after).

I'd also like to do some track days at other facilities around the country.
    Is this race school (without License or AMA membership) recognized as meeting most tracks training requirements?

Sortarican, I can say for sure that the school will allow you to ride CCS events, either races or trackdays. I used my cert to get approval for the race at Firebird since I had lost my actual race license.

Another option to help ease the cost of racing, and I can't stress this enough:
    SPONSORS

you'd be surprised at the discounts you can receive just from being a racer and putting some stickers on your bike.
    Casey D

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    If you complete the Race School course can you get your Competition License and/or AMA membership somewhere down the road?
    I might be into taking the course but probably wouldn't race until next year (or even the year after).

I'd also like to do some track days at other facilities around the country.
    Is this race school (without License or AMA membership) recognized as meeting most tracks training requirements?

Jeff,

Yes the MRA course is recognized by most other orgs to get your race license. However, the MRA states that you will need to race within 3 years of taking the class or you will need to repeat it. I don't know how other orgs handle it.

I would assume that most other track day orgs will recognize this class, however I would check with the specific ones before you go.

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

I had a great time and we turned it into a family outing. Yes, the initial outlay was kinda steep, but I'm learning where to cut corners. If you're really interested, you should PM some of the more experienced racers for tips to save $ and still be competitive. Two of us raced out of a pickup and it was great to have a race partner and save money. Also, you don't have to race every race.
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

Quote Originally Posted by brian38 View Post
    at least 50% of the racers were running gout of their trucks.
    You went to Cali and got gout? That will teach you

Everyone above is correct, you dont need a new bike, you dont need all that fancy equipment, you dont need a lot of money. I see a lot of novice racer's buying brand new bikes, then spending a shit load of money on 16.5" wheels, expensive suspension, crazy exhaust systems, and I have to chuckle when another novice on a stock bike with a slipon hands them their ass. I have had a couple of friends this winter approach me to spend thousands on their motor so the can win a novice class, my answer is always the same.

I race out of a POS enclosed trailer with $70 Walmart ezup's, I stay at the cheapest POS motel I can find (I would sleep in the back of the Tahoe but the wife wouldnt go for it) and to help cover the cost of racing I dont go out and spend $100 at the bar every weekend.

A long time ago I gave up a lot of things to start racing, I dont miss them at all
    It is what it is

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

^^Clark saves his money for his ever-expanding trophy case

When are you going to get on a real bike Clark? (KAWI)
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Board Newbie

Wow dude give it a fucking rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    Everyone above is correct, you dont need a new bike, you dont need all that fancy equipment, you dont need a lot of money. I see a lot of novice racer's buying brand new bikes, then spending a shit load of money on 16.5" wheels, expensive suspension, crazy exhaust systems, and I have to chuckle when another novice on a stock bike with a slipon hands them their ass. I have had a couple of friends this winter approach me to spend thousands on their motor so the can win a novice class, my answer is always the same.
    I second this idea. I regretted chasing horsepower as a novice, looking back it delayed my skill development as an expert. Once I moved to supersport bikes with minimal maintenance needs I could focus on the riding. It improved me as a racer.

BTW, Josh Graham won his Novice class championship running one set of street tires for the entire season. (not recommended for normal humans)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    You went to Cali and got gout? That will teach you

oops must have side effects like can't spell.

Brian, how'd you do at Willow???

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Z4ever View Post
    Wow dude give it a fucking rest!
    Its all in good fun fucktard
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    When are you going to get on a real bike Clark? (KAWI)
    When Kawi, Honda and Yamaha build a 1000 that doesnt need a stroker motor to keep up with a SS GSXR
    It is what it is