Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got what it takes???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Got what it takes???

Turn your love for trackdays into something even better. Sign up now and get ready to race in the '08 season:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer
    Casey D

AKA "Devaclis"

Re: Got what it takes???

If by "What it takes" you mean LOTS AND LOTS of money, then no, sorry
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Racing can be done on a budget with an inexpensive bike and running take offs. Stuff like that. You don't have to take out a second morgage to do it.
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cosp600rr View Post
    You don't have to take out a second morgage to do it.
    True, there is always Visa.

It can be done more cheaply, if you aren't going for new tires every weekend (the quicker racers will be doing this, some burn up a set per race at the top tiers), don't need super-bling paint and have to get it fixed every time you crash, and more (most?) importantly - just don't crash much. Most of the expense in racing is fixing the crap you break.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

AKA "Devaclis"

I was thinking about a hauler, gas, travel related expenses, track and club fees, safety gear, heaters, coolers, tools, parts, fuel, and replacing wearable parts. I am sure it can be done for a reasonable price. But to be really competitive you need to have a little more than $0
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    I was thinking about a hauler, gas, travel related expenses, track and club fees, safety gear, heaters, coolers, tools, parts, fuel, and replacing wearable parts. I am sure it can be done for a reasonable price. But to be really competitive you need to have a little more than $0
    Don't have to have all the baller stuff to go racing. Just got back from Willow Springs this weekend. Threw the bike in the back of the truck and went racing. It was amazing that at least 50% of the racers were running gout of their trucks. Very few toy haulers, trailers, motorhomes, etc. Had a blast!!!

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by brian38 View Post
    at least 50% of the racers were running gout of their trucks.
    You went to Cali and got gout? That will teach you

Everyone above is correct, you dont need a new bike, you dont need all that fancy equipment, you dont need a lot of money. I see a lot of novice racer's buying brand new bikes, then spending a shit load of money on 16.5" wheels, expensive suspension, crazy exhaust systems, and I have to chuckle when another novice on a stock bike with a slipon hands them their ass. I have had a couple of friends this winter approach me to spend thousands on their motor so the can win a novice class, my answer is always the same.

I race out of a POS enclosed trailer with $70 Walmart ezup's, I stay at the cheapest POS motel I can find (I would sleep in the back of the Tahoe but the wife wouldnt go for it) and to help cover the cost of racing I dont go out and spend $100 at the bar every weekend.

A long time ago I gave up a lot of things to start racing, I dont miss them at all
    It is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    Everyone above is correct, you dont need a new bike, you dont need all that fancy equipment, you dont need a lot of money. I see a lot of novice racer's buying brand new bikes, then spending a shit load of money on 16.5" wheels, expensive suspension, crazy exhaust systems, and I have to chuckle when another novice on a stock bike with a slipon hands them their ass. I have had a couple of friends this winter approach me to spend thousands on their motor so the can win a novice class, my answer is always the same.
    I second this idea. I regretted chasing horsepower as a novice, looking back it delayed my skill development as an expert. Once I moved to supersport bikes with minimal maintenance needs I could focus on the riding. It improved me as a racer.

BTW, Josh Graham won his Novice class championship running one set of street tires for the entire season. (not recommended for normal humans)

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lovinCO View Post
    I
    BTW, Josh Graham won his Novice class championship running one set of street tires for the entire season. (not recommended for normal humans)
    I saw Kevin Schwantz ride a pretty much stock FJ 600 against a guy (don't remember who it was) on an RZ500, The RZ had a serious power advantage on the FJ and would pull away on that long back straight at Road Atlanta but Kevin would pass him in the turns. Near the end of the race, Kevin passed him in turn 12 in the most amazing display of riding talent I think I have ever seen. He was off the track with the back end of the FJ coming around. I thought for sure Kevin was going to tumble hard but he managed to keep it under control. I swear, it looked like he passed the RZ going sideways.

So, no, you probably don't need to spend a lot to go racing in the novice class. Spend your money on training.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkie View Post
    You went to Cali and got gout? That will teach you

oops must have side effects like can't spell.

Quote Originally Posted by brian38 View Post
    oops must have side effects like can't spell.
    So how did you go? You going to AZ next month?
    It is what it is

some people do it for fun, some people do it to win. I took 3rd place last year as a novice on a 99 R6. not expensive at all. the season is fairly spread out, a little over a race per month. only two trips are out of state, throw the bike in the bed of the truck and sleep trackside if needed.
    Casey D

I think a lot of it comes down to how many other hobbies a person has. Right now I don't have a lot of other ones so a lot of my time and money can be spent on racing. When I stop racing it will go to something else
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    Turn your love for trackdays into something even better. Sign up now and get ready to race in the '08 season:

http://www.mra-racing.org/index.cfm?action=new_racer
    I printed of the MRA 20008 race school appl packet to sign up for the School only on 4/18. What is all covered during the school? I'm very excited to do a actual school even if it is only for one day.

You will have classroom sessions for a while and they will go over race procedures and flags and all that stuff. Then they will split you into groups for the ontrack part. They will go over lines, braking, passing and general safty. Then you will have to practice starts on the drag strip. After that they will grid you up for the moch race. Its only 3 laps but you will have the general idea after that. Just remember its a moch race and you wont be awarded anything if you win. Be sure to finish the race without crashing or you wont get your license. Good luck and have fun.
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

a couple other ways to help save on cost:

team up with someone, split travel expenses and learning experiences.

run takeoffs. you can usually score them pretty cheap if not free from some tire dealers, good racers, etc.

sell the street bike, i know to some this isn't an option but i can assure you that once you race you will never go back.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    a couple other ways to help save on cost:

team up with someone, split travel expenses and learning experiences.

run takeoffs. you can usually score them pretty cheap if not free from some tire dealers, good racers, etc.

sell the street bike, i know to some this isn't an option but i can assure you that once you race you will never go back.
    I second all of that. It will change your life in a fantastic way
    MRA # 115
    09 Ninja 250 Racebike
    07 CBR 600 RR Racebike
    06 CRF 250R

Quote Originally Posted by cosp600rr View Post
    I second all of that. It will change your life in a fantastic way
    Yes, it will set you free of all worldly concerns that revolve around money as you'll soon have none of it.

I forget the author, but the quote is fitting:

"The only way to make a small fortune in racing is to start with a large one."

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from racing, it can be a great experience; but it can be very, very costly and people really need to plan out a full budget and try to get a clear idea of the expenses involved: including bike prep, travel, lodging, HEALTH INSURANCE, and other misc expenses like entry fees, race schools etc.

MRA has a lighter scedule than WERA or some of the other "Club" (sub-AMA) level organizations so that can help, but even running take-offs and sharing rooms & expenses they do still add up--and all of this is ignoring crash damage to your bike and, worse, to YOU.

Not to make an example of Bob, but as anyone who knows him can attest, his accident was expensive in ways far beyond the damage to his bike. So you may want some sort of out-of-work (AFLAC-style) disability coverage too.

And, lastly, you don't have to go for the most cut-throat class out there, especially if you're on a budget. Sportsman on something like an SV650 (which you can run in Lightweight as well) is cheaper to get into and with smaller grids, it's less intimidating and, with less riders it's easier to learn.

Again, I'm not trying to dissuade people from racing, but before you jump into it do some serious homework and get as much planned out and budgeted as possible. It sucks to get midway through a season and be completely out of cash.

-=-

....lol, now I need just need someone else to pay for me and I'm in for 2008!
    Last edited by Ghost; Tue Jan 22nd, 2008 at 12:41 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

If you complete the Race School course can you get your Competition License and/or AMA membership somewhere down the road?
    I might be into taking the course but probably wouldn't race until next year (or even the year after).

I'd also like to do some track days at other facilities around the country.
    Is this race school (without License or AMA membership) recognized as meeting most tracks training requirements?

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    If you complete the Race School course can you get your Competition License and/or AMA membership somewhere down the road?
    I might be into taking the course but probably wouldn't race until next year (or even the year after).

Is this race school (without License or AMA membership) recognized as meeting most tracks training requirements?

Jeff,

Yes the MRA course is recognized by most other orgs to get your race license. However, the MRA states that you will need to race within 3 years of taking the class or you will need to repeat it. I don't know how other orgs handle it.

I would assume that most other track day orgs will recognize this class, however I would check with the specific ones before you go.

Joe

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post

hey sortarican, you must have your ama card to even take the race class..once you purchase your ama card the website will let you print a temporary good for 2 months...after the race class you can get your race license whenever...just an fyi.......39.00 for a year membership, regular or competition.i just verified this last week. as i am also taking the race class to race this year (hopefully).......
    drop a gear and disappear....

Asshat Racing:Mra #228
    2002 r6 street,akrapovic slip-on,flush mounts,Ohlins steering dampener
    2000 r6 race (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem View Post
    hey sortarican, you must have your ama card to even take the race class..once you purchase your ama card the website will let you print a temporary good for 2 months...after the race class you can get your race license whenever...just an fyi.......39.00 for a year membership, regular or competition.i just verified this last week. as i am also taking the race class to race this year (hopefully).......
    This was really good question but I am not clear on the answer. Does the AMA card and/or race license get you past the mandatory rookie classes at most tracks? Like many on here I think I have aspirations of racing in the years ahead but for now I want to gain experience on tracks I have never been to before. I also dont want to loose the first day or part of day going through the new track rider orientation because I am not 'qualified' even though I have a half dozen track days (I know not a lot) under me. Thanks in advance for the input.

The MRA is AMA sanctioned, so when we are involved in a MRA event school or race, we have to be a member of the AMA. The AMA membership is just that a membership NOT a license or race class.
    When you take the MRA race school you need to purchase a AMA membership, this is mainly for MRA insurance reasons because of the AMA sanctioning. When you pass the MRA school you will get a certificate for completing the school. At this point you can purchase a MRA race license or use your MRA certificate for track days that require some sort of class experience.

hope this makes sense.

Mike
    2008 MRA rider rep.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    This was really good question but I am not clear on the answer. Does the AMA card and/or race license get you past the mandatory rookie classes at most tracks? Like many on here I think I have aspirations of racing in the years ahead but for now I want to gain experience on tracks I have never been to before. I also dont want to loose the first day or part of day going through the new track rider orientation because I am not 'qualified' even though I have a half dozen track days (I know not a lot) under me. Thanks in advance for the input.
    Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN. We were a little apprehensive but after talking to Rybro were all in and looking forward to it. We'll be the two guys in the last row of the grid