Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Got what it takes???

Re: Got what it takes???

Quote Originally Posted by N1KSS1KS1x View Post
    It's gonna be money and time off work that will be my down fall for running the seasion. I'm gonna throw down my support for the mra and join up and run as many as I can though.
    What kind of help can a first time racer get from venders. I'm thinkin none to very little. Any of you guys with take offs that would hook a brother up that would be fanfuckintastic.
    Join www.sponsorhouse.com and apply to as many companies as possible, you will be surprised what sort of discounts you can get
    It is what it is

The MRA is AMA sanctioned, so when we are involved in a MRA event school or race, we have to be a member of the AMA. The AMA membership is just that a membership NOT a license or race class.
    When you take the MRA race school you need to purchase a AMA membership, this is mainly for MRA insurance reasons because of the AMA sanctioning. When you pass the MRA school you will get a certificate for completing the school. At this point you can purchase a MRA race license or use your MRA certificate for track days that require some sort of class experience.

hope this makes sense.

Mike
    2008 MRA rider rep.
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

no ......i need a bike for the track
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by Joew4505 View Post
    This was really good question but I am not clear on the answer. Does the AMA card and/or race license get you past the mandatory rookie classes at most tracks? Like many on here I think I have aspirations of racing in the years ahead but for now I want to gain experience on tracks I have never been to before. I also dont want to loose the first day or part of day going through the new track rider orientation because I am not 'qualified' even though I have a half dozen track days (I know not a lot) under me. Thanks in advance for the input.
    Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN. We were a little apprehensive but after talking to Rybro were all in and looking forward to it. We'll be the two guys in the last row of the grid

Quote Originally Posted by Redflash3 View Post
    Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN. We were a little apprehensive but after talking to Rybro were all in and looking forward to it. We'll be the two guys in the last row of the grid
    Thats the best reason I have heard yet. I may just join you on the back row and try to learn a few things!

Thats the best reason I have heard yet. I may just join you on the back row and try to learn a few things!
    Cool, then the last row will be all Gixxers

Cool, then the last row will be all Gixxers

last row should be kawi's.

Back to the whole cost of racing thing.
    I dont know if this was mentioned before but you are not obligated to participate in every single race.
    For example, i only plan on attending the Pueblo races in the first part of the season and the High lands races in the last half.
    If high lands raceway isn't completed then i will just be doing the majority of the Pueblo races.

Yeah, me and a couple of my friends will be participating in some races this season.......can't wait!!!!!

Joe, me and a friend are taking the MRA school for the first time on 4/18 not to race but to LEARN.
    That's why I took it, and it was a blast. Don't worry about last guy (or gal) out there either. In my class last year we had a good many people there just to get a PMP cert. The MRA class is money well spent. Just make sure your battery has a full charge so you don't have to beg Mike A. for his charger. (if he remembers that. )

I may do a race weekend at Pueblo. Have to get a little out of my system though...

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by albinohickey View Post
    .....Just make sure your battery has a full charge so you don't have to beg Mike A. for his charger....
    At least you didn't have to pushstart Joe Logalbo on someones bike all day.
    Actually only 3/4 of the day.
    Then it was pointed out that it might be easier to push someone else.....
    say maybe someone who wasn't THE BIGGEST M/F OUT THERE.
    (Don't think I didn't notice you laughing your ass off Joe.)

^ Ohh I was running next to my bike and tried to jump on, hitting the tail section and almost spilling my newly painted track bike in the PMP hot pit lane. Haha, So Jim Brewer was nice enough to push start me, but I'm about the smallest guy out there. Or skinniest.

I'm about the smallest guy out there. Or skinniest.
    I might have you beat....

Hopefully someone does!

This was really good question but I am not clear on the answer. Does the AMA card and/or race license get you past the mandatory rookie classes at most tracks? Like many on here I think I have aspirations of racing in the years ahead but for now I want to gain experience on tracks I have never been to before. I also dont want to loose the first day or part of day going through the new track rider orientation because I am not 'qualified' even though I have a half dozen track days (I know not a lot) under me. Thanks in advance for the input.
    the safety class cert will allow you to ride trackdays at most of the mra tracks, as far as new mexico and arizona tracks i am not sure, but probably...then the race cert will allow you to race in the mra. ama card is mandatory to race and it helps with the insurance rates for the tracks. safety cert will allow you to bypass the classroom stuff and head straight on the track for trackdays. as far as racing, it's best to start as a novice....hope this cleared it up a bit for you.......
    drop a gear and disappear....

Asshat Racing:Mra #228
    2002 r6 street,akrapovic slip-on,flush mounts,Ohlins steering dampener
    2000 r6 race (sold)

Ya that helps. As mentioned above I think taking the class for the instruction will be well worth the time and money. I am looking forward to riding at several different tracks this year with everyone.

in my momma's basement of the singel wide

I hope everyone considering racing gives it a try this year. The MRA could definitely use all of you to come out and have some fun. In kendo, we have testing and we have tournaments. Some people only want to test, but you cannot really challenge yourself (and that's YOURSELF), unless you try yourself against others. Only then will you advance yourself. Ok, enough of the zen. I'm not a rider rep, or even a good racer, but my pits are open to any of you who want to try racing, and anything in my toolbox can be borrowed, just bring it back or replace it. You'll find most other racers are like that (99.9%). Come on, do you really want to be 80 years old saying, " I wish I woulda raced back in '08?"
    the racing lawyer

Fighting on forums is like winning the Special Olympics!

MRA #442: NUM Marketing, SR-Tuning, Bashed Bikes, the former Morse Racing, Vanmar Racing, Michelin, Bijou Tattoo, the former 4-Play Motorsports, JDH Welding (aka Dallas).

That's why I took it, and it was a blast. Don't worry about last guy (or gal) out there either. In my class last year we had a good many people there just to get a PMP cert. The MRA class is money well spent. Just make sure your battery has a full charge so you don't have to beg Mike A. for his charger. (if he remembers that. )

I may do a race weekend at Pueblo. Have to get a little out of my system though...
    I remember! If i have and someone needs it, it is theirs to borrow!
    mike
    No doubt about the future, No regrets about the past!

Quote Originally Posted by D Berns R6 View Post
    I have michelin take off's if you need some $20 each or $35 a set....
    You sir have Pm's
    ILLMATIC RACING

pm replied, all out of michelins but two sets of dunlop's...

what is the "Transponder Purchase" that is on the app form for $240? Do we need to get the AMA membership before hand or just pay the $39 on the form to get it?
    Knee2Ground Racing

Easily distracted by shiny objects and bouncy things jplracing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by firefghtr View Post
    what is the "Transponder Purchase" that is on the app form for $240? Do we need to get the AMA membership before hand or just pay the $39 on the form to get it?

The MRA is a AMA sanctioned club, therefore you need to be an AMA member to participate. It is easier to go to the AMA website and sign up directly through them. Keep the temp number they give you and put it on the MRA membership app. Then when your card and perminent number arrive email Tony Baker...his contact is on the MRA page

Last year we were all required to purchase our transpoder (previously we rented them for the season from the MRA). The transponder is the electronic device that keeps track of our position on the track and lap times.

Unfortunatly, all of the transponders that the MRA was selling have been sold since last week. You really have three options. 1) rent one for $50 per event from the MRA, 2) Look online for a used one. Websites like ebay, wera.com are good sources. 3) Buy a new one (but they are 420 new) from AMB. I believe the model you are looking for is the "260". AMB makes a number of different types but they are not all compatible

Obviously this will go up...but wouldn't be a bad idea to keep an eye on it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AMB-T...em160224266391

Hope that helps. If you need more info - PM me

Joe
    Last edited by jplracing; Sat Mar 29th, 2008 at 09:21 PM. Reason: more info

www.rebellionmotorsports.com

Grant_me_revs personal snake catcher!!

thanks that helps, i dont plan on being able to race every event this year so id be fine renting for each event. thanks for the info. i guess i shouldnt have let my ama membership laps after all. lol. ill go get it reinstated then.
    Knee2Ground Racing