Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Great meeting with ABATE this weekend, and we need your help!

Re: Great meeting with ABATE this weekend, and we need your help!

Quote Originally Posted by ABATEStateCoord View Post
    One more note.....after reading some the posts here is an answer to Pilot's question:
    For fiscal year 2007 ABATE received a federal grant of approximately $38,000 for use toward the Operation Save A Life campaign. Sounds like they are getting funding to promote OSAL. What did they spend it on?

ANSWER:
    ABATE was approved for a grant ($37000) in 2006, we were funded June 28th 2007. Supposedly we had a year to spend the money. Well the Feds decided to tell CDOT that the grants had to be spent by Sept 30 of 2007 or the money would be lost. CDOT called me in November to let me know the "rollover" contract I signed was not valid, they had just been notified. We lost $26000, because we didn't spend it before September. So all we got out of the grant was brochures printed, bumper stickers, some equipment to do presentations and some banners for our Operation Save A Life program.
    Thank you for the response.

Grants can provide wonderful opportunities for some end-users and their qualified programs. The potential financial support for those receiving grants can help defer huge cash outlays that would otherwise have to come from other sources. Myriad rules and regulations surround us. Some are beneficial, but time consuming to monitor, while others allow for easy use--without much positive output.

Good luck with your efforts, as well as those of others, to increase motorcycle safety awareness, rider training and expand your membership with younger/sportbike riders. Membership in many organizations is falling off due to "traditional" members expressing concern in their belief that they not being viewed and/or supported, with as much enthusiasm, as might other programs within such organizations.

I'm sure I speak with unanimous support when I offer you best wishes in your efforts to work harmoniously with others, be they private individuals, or entities, who seek to promote those activities which bring harmony and unification to our sport.

Are your grant-related products, and/or equipment available for use to others to provide support for OSAL?
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

(formerly "ABATEStateCoord") THoward's Avatar

Yes Pilot, we have CDOT approved trifolds and bumper stickers, even recorded PSA's if we can get radio stations to play them. You are welcome to any of the items we have. Just call my office 303-789-3264 and we'll be happy to get some in the mail to you. Thank you for your wishes of luck. I am not so concerned about ABATE's membership numbers, as I am making the roads safer for all of us to enjoy our 2 wheels!! If we only have a handful of folks that can make that happen, I'll be happy. I am grateful to Ralph for his input on the various committees we have been dealing with. I believe we all share the same goals no matter what we ride. Thanks again!

I'll be ringing your office in the next few days. It would be nice to hear a radio spot or two, even on the less traveled channels.

Rider Workshop-USA

*Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I can't put a link on here to the bill, but if you go to Colorado General Assembly home page, click on House Bill and look up HB08-1104 you cab read the bill.
    Here is our latest Legislative alert:

House Bill 1104 "Aggravated Right-of-Way Offense" has been referred back to the House Judiciary committee (where it had passed on January 30 on a unanimous vote) due to some manuevers, and opposition by a partial segment of the Colorado Motor Carriers Association (truckers.) While we believe the opposition had a timely, fair, and equal opportunity to state their case in committee the first time, all appearances are they will be accomodated again. While this is unusual and seems redundant, it is a fact that we will have to live with, and counter appropriately.

We have attempted to understand and be insightful as to the nature of their opposition to the bill as it is written, since it is equitable for all road users. Yet, the arguments coming from their representative-lobbyist seem to lack logic and consistency. Be that as it may, we should not be antagonistic or angry with them.

This is a very good bill that represents many years of hard work. Our job is to press the advancement of this bill as it is written, and your help is needed!
    We have been advised by sponsor Rep. Don Marostica that the bill will be heard again this coming Friday, February 15th when the Judiciary committee convenes beginning after recess from the House floor in the morning committee room 0112 at our state capitol. We are told it is perhaps 1st on the agenda. We expect the oppostion to be motivated and present in force, as well as having worked behind the scenes.

The Game Plan:
    We will attempt to have as many of the original pro-bill testifying team as possible that were present the first time (this was about 7). In addition, we need 20-25 pro-bill advocates and friends concerned enough about Right-of-Way violations to be present, seeded throughout the hearing room, and to stand and be counted as representing yours, as well as the publics', interest. It is IMPERATIVE that we make a strong visible showing of support !

If you cannot be there in person, then do the next best thing: contact the legislators on the Judiciary committee -- now! This is even more effective if one of the committee also happens to be your representative and you identify yourself as a constituent (read the list, below.)

Rep. Terrance Carroll (Chairman) - District 7, Denver county -- terrance.carroll.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2909
    Rep. Debbie Stafford (vice-Chair) - District 40, Arapahoe, Elbert counties -- house40@comcast.net ; 303-866-2944
    Rep. Morgan Carroll - District 36, Arapahoe county -- morgan.carroll.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2942
    Rep. Bob Gardner - District 21, El Paso, Fremont counties -- bob.gardner.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2191
    Rep. Cheri Jahn -- District 24, Jefferson county -- cheri.jahn.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-5522
    Rep. Andy Kerr -- District 26, Jefferson county -- akerrhd26@earthlink.net ; 303-866-2923
    Rep. Steve King -- District 54, Delta, Mesa counties -- steve.king.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-3068
    Rep. Claire Levy -- District 13, Boulder, Clear Creek, Gilpin counties -- claire.levy.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2578
    Rep. Rosemary Marshall -- District 8, Denver county -- rosemary.marshall.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2959
    Rep. Ellen Roberts -- District 59, Archuleta, LaPlata, Montezuma, San Juan ctys. -- ellen.roberts.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2914
    Rep. Amy Stephens -- District 20, El Paso county -- amy.stephens.house@state.co.us ; 303-866-2924

Whether you e-mail or phone (there's no time for snail-mail), be polite and to the point in your communication. You can use the template below, or modify it to suit your effectiveness:

Dear Rep. ________

I am contacting you to express my support for House Bill 1104, the Aggravated Right-of-Way offense bill.

I believe this is a fair bill that addresses a gray area in our laws, and that it would provide a proper sanction for those who commit
    right-of-way violations that result in injury or death to other road users.

I ask you to please support this bill (as written) as it makes its' way through the lawmaking process.

Thank You,

(your name)
    (your address)
    (city, state, zip)
    (tel. # & e-mail address)

Please note: all text did not appear as it does on the General Assembly web-site.

Here is the link: http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/cli...le=1104_01.pdf

Shading denotes HOUSE amendment. Double underlining denotes SENATE amendment.
    Capital letters indicate new material to be added to existing statute.
    Dashes through the words indicate deletions from existing statute.
    Second Regular Session
    Sixty-sixth General Assembly
    STATE OF COLORADO
    INTRODUCED
    LLS NO. 08-0737.01 Kate Meyer HOUSE BILL 08-1104
    House Committees Senate Committees
    Judiciary
    A BILL FOR AN ACT
    101 CONCERNING VIOLATIONS OF TRAFFIC RIGHTS-OF-WAY RESULTING IN
    102 BODILY INJURY OR DEATH.
    Bill Summary
    (Note: This summary applies to this bill as introduced and does
    not necessarily reflect any amendments that may be subsequently
    adopted.)
    Creates a new misdemeanor traffic offense, the "aggravated
    right-of-way offense", to apply when bodily injury or death has been
    proximately caused by a violation of traffic rights-of-way. Establishes a
    penalty for committing an aggravated right-of-way offense.
    1 Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Colorado:
    HOUSE SPONSORSHIP
    Marostica,
    SENATE SPONSORSHIP
    Brophy,
    -2- HB08-1104
    1 SECTION 1. Part 7 of article 4 of title 42, Colorado Revised
    2 Statutes, is amended BY THE ADDITION OF A NEW SECTION to
    3 read:
    4 42-4-713. Aggravated right-of-way offense - violation resulting
    5 in death - penalty. (1) IF THE VIOLATION OF A RIGHT-OF-WAY PROVISION
    6 OF THIS PART 7 IS THE PROXIMATE CAUSE OF BODILY INJURY OR DEATH TO
    7 ANOTHER PERSON, THE VIOLATOR COMMITS AN AGGRAVATED
    8 RIGHT-OF-WAY OFFENSE.
    9 (2) ANY PERSON WHO VIOLATES THIS SECTION COMMITS A CLASS
    10 1 MISDEMEANOR TRAFFIC OFFENSE PUNISHABLE PURSUANT TO SECTION
    11 42-4-1701.-
    12 SECTION 2. Safety clause. The general assembly hereby finds,
    13 determines, and declares that this act is necessary for the immediate
    14 preservation of the public peace, health, and safety.

Rider Workshop-USA

This link might be easier. Just enter your home zip and your representatives and how to contact them will come up.

How to find my state legislators http://www.votesmart.org/
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Some of this is a repost, but this is important.

HB 1104 will create a broader range of consequences for persons failing to yield right of way resulting in bodily injury or death. This bill gives the justice system more options when injury results from someone failing to yield the right of way.

Sponsored by Rep. Marostika and Sen. Brophy, House Bill 1104 creates a new Class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense called “aggravated right of way offense.” Right of way infractions are responsible for many crashes involving motorcycles and motor vehicles.

WHY THIS IS IMPORTANT:By creating an “aggravated right-of-way” Class 1 misdemeanor traffic offense, the justice system will have additional tools dealing with cases which involve bodily injury or death. This gives added protection to motorcyclists involved in right-of-way crashes.

Examples of Right-of-Way Situations:
    • Turning left
    • Entering a roadway
    • Emerging from or entering into an alley, driveway or building
    • Approaching or entering an intersection
    • Overtaking or passing a vehicle
    Under the current system, those at fault may be charged with a Class 2 failure to yield right of way with penalties as minor as a $10 fine. The “aggravated right-of-way” offense proposed in HB 1104 is a Class 1 Misdemeanor traffic offense, with penalties listed below.

Proposed level in HB 1104 for Right of Way offenses resulting in bodily injury or death:
    Minimum: $100 fine, or 10 days imprisonment, or both
    Maximum: $1,000 fine, or 1 year imprisonment, or both

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

If this issue is important to you, here is how to make your voice heard.

1. Contact your state representative and senator, asking them to support this bill.

2. Share this information with motorcyclists you know. The more people who contact their state legislators, the more likely the bill will pass and provide greater protections to motorcyclists.
    John
    KTM Duke 690

Just a note on HB-1104. It passed unanimously out of the House Judiciary Committee Friday with a favorable recommendation. It will be heard on the House floor for 2nd reading this Monday or Tuesday. As FZRguy states, please contact your Senator and Representative and ask for a yes vote on this bill. Even tho this bill covers all street users, it was authored by one of our members with motorcyclists in mind. We have been trying to pass something the past 4 years to benefit motorcyclists and have failed. This one looks good, we have the support of Law Enforcement, the District Attorneys, and Bicyclcle Colorado (they are a huge lobbying force). Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated and serve all motorcyclists. Thanks for your inpuy FZRguy.

I'm in, Can my wife get FREE classes? I'm in even if she doesn't. Well maybe, Can I get a FREE T-shirt and bumper sticker. If not I'm still in
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

The "right-of-way" bill, House Bill 1104, is continuing its journey through the Colorado legislature. After being approved by the House at the end of February, the bill just received unanimous approval from the Senate Judiciary Committee early this week. The bill now goes to the full senate for two votes.
    John
    KTM Duke 690