Thread: Hwy CO 7 and Hwy US 34 January Report

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Hwy CO 7 and Hwy US 34 January Report

CO 7 (South Saint Vrain Canyon) is clear of most all debris (read sand). CDOT has dumped so much mag-chloride on the road that the surface is white (precipitate residue). I wouldn't be surprised if all the roadside vegetation will be killed off come spring due to this obvious overt crime against nature.

The wind didn't become a factor until after (west bound) the intersection of CO 7 and CO 72. The only issue was two 30 yard sections of drifted snow over the road surface immediately past the old Longs Peak Inn at Goblins Castle Road and the entrance to Lily Lake trail-head across from The Baldpate Inn prior to the decent into Estes Park.

US 34, The Big Thompson was clean with again the exception of excessive amounts of the white mag-chloride residue coating the road surface. I have a feeling that when the crap is washed into the river it will kill the fish. What a mess.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Re: Hwy CO 7 and Hwy US 34 January Report

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    CDOT has dumped so much mag-chloride on the road that the surface is white
    yep, it was pretty bad on Friday (hwy 7). I was surprised to see so much of it.

Thanks for the report.
    636 '04
    DRZ400SM '08
    EXC 520 '02

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Hey Jeff....just curious, but with all that powdery mag-chloride on the road, do you tone down your riding style in the winter as compared to in the summer?
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

oh hell maybe next time they will put more sand on the roads and that will be the next complaint for people. Be happy CDOT made the roads clear so we can ride in JANUARY!!! Just my thought, quit the bitchin and embrace the fact that you got to ride on a wonderful Sunday in JANUARY. I was happy to see all the biikes out today. Sucks to be anyone who didn't get to enjoy it. IT WAS GREEEEAT
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnairlover View Post
    Hey Jeff....just curious, but with all that powdery mag-chloride on the road, do you tone down your riding style in the winter as compared to in the summer?
    No.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    oh hell maybe next time they will put more sand on the roads and that will be the next complaint for people. Be happy CDOT made the roads clear so we can ride in JANUARY!!! Just my thought, quit the bitchin and embrace the fact that you got to ride on a wonderful Sunday in JANUARY. I was happy to see all the biikes out today. Sucks to be anyone who didn't get to enjoy it. IT WAS GREEEEAT
    I'd sacrifice riding to eliminate the use of mag-chloride. In fact, I rode the same exact roads twenty-five years ago in January many years prior to the use of mag-chloride and didn't have any problems with the sand on the road. The roads were as clear back then as they were today. You just have to pick your lines more judiciously. Salt sucks and this is nothing more than a conspiracy between the insurance industry, automakers, and CDOT to fuck the roads and the environment up the way they are doing it now.
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Sun Jan 27th, 2008 at 09:24 PM.

In your conspiracy theory you for got the carwash industry. They're the true ring leaders
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

it was definately a great day to ride! too bad the snow is on its way once again... did anybody see that big group of bikes (crotch rockets) riding yesterday afternoon? we saw about 20+ as we were getting off the highway but it was too late to chase um down... if yall are interested lets plan a day to go riding! (weather pending...)