Thread: What fluids do you put in your 2 stroke dirt bike???

What fluids do you put in your 2 stroke dirt bike???

I just bought a '99 KX 250 with the motor completely apart...I'm getting ready to put the motor back together and need to fill the fluids up...what fliuds and what weights do you use???

Thanks!!!

Aaron

30w motor on engine/gearbox. Golden Spectro 2 stroke oil @ 32:1 to break in and 40:1 after that. Premixed antifreeze. Bleed air out of cooling system, lightly coat piston and cyl. wall w/ 2stroke oil before assembly.
    Are you putting the entire engine together or just the top end? I do not recommend reusing rings, wristpin, retainers and wristpin bearing.

Don't know if those new KX's are water cooled, but i'm assuming they are. So, you'd need to put in some coolant in the system. As for the engine, i'd put in a rich mix of gas/oil (20:1) or so in the tank, and put oil around the piston. Transmission will probably want gear oil or engine oil (10-30 or so) I believe kawasaki has newer manuals online, so check those for proper fluids and capacities.
    John in Boulder
    84' Kawasaki ZX750E1 Turbo (new project)
    82' Yamaha Seca Turbo
    77' Yamaha IT-400

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller
    30w motor on engine/gearbox. Golden Spectro 2 stroke oil @ 32:1 to break in and 40:1 after that. Premixed antifreeze. Bleed air out of cooling system, lightly coat piston and cyl. wall w/ 2stroke oil before assembly.
    Are you putting the entire engine together or just the top end? I do not recommend reusing rings, wristpin, retainers and wristpin bearing.
    Using 40:1 is fine for break in but you can't go over 2/3 throttle for 30 minutes. Adding more oil leans out the bike and could damage the engine

Words from The Man
    Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller
    Bleed air out of cooling system, lightly coat piston and cyl. wall w/ 2stroke oil before assembly.
    How do you bleed the air out?

I was putting the top end back together...I bought all new piston, wrist pin, wrist pin bearing, cer-clips, rings and gaskets...

Thanks for the help guys...