Thread: Colorado Supermoto Shootout

Colorado Supermoto Shootout

Colorado Supermoto Shootout

So here is the deal, we ( epicmotosports.com ) were approached by the Supermoto racers in Colorado back in November to take over the RMS which is something we weren't prepared to do, instead we came up with a plan to provide something different.

We have created the Colorado Supermoto Shootout which is basically 5 individual rounds with no overall championship, what's the point you ask? Well in the RMS, people won championships by just turning up and other racers were put off by this, the feeling was that if you missed one or two rounds you were out of the championship so why bother going to anymore. We have created a Shootout series which is biased heavily towards new/novice racers, the idea is to get people into the sport and get them hooked as a lot of us already been.

The Concept
    Cheap racing that is almost like a trackday with a start, finish, and a ton of giveaways. Let's face it, a lot more people have fun at a trackday where a championship or #1 plate isn't on the line, the cost will be cheap enough to justify a day of fun, and crashing doesn't hurt (or cost) anywhere near as much as road racing either......trust me I know this first hand.

The Cost
    You will pay your normal $35 IMI entry (or if you have a season pass this is waved) and then $25 per class. For the experts there is basically a 'run what you brung' class, doesn't matter if you are one 250F, 450F or a 500 2-stroke, get out there and tear it up! There will be a SM class and an Asphalt only class for those that don't want to get dirty and to do something a little different, the start it will be a MX style, draw a clothes peg out of a bucket and that is your grid position, but rather than 3-4 bikes per row you will be bar to bar with as many bikes as we can fit across the track. For Novices or new people there will be Sportsman (stock size wheels) and then the Novice class which will be split into over and under depending on entries. If you are a going to cherry pick in the novice class, we will boot you up into the expert class before your race has even finished, and remember just because you are a novice road racer or motocrosser it doesnt mean you are a novice in our series. So for $85 you will get 2 classes with probably 2 rounds each, a day of racing and the chance to win some cool stuff.

The Prizes/Giveaways
    We have prizes ranging from hats and t-shirts to a full set of riding gear, slicks, and even a set of SM wheels!
    For the first event Tucker Rocky has given us two sets of Shinko slicks to give away to a couple of novice racers, you may roll your eyes at the idea of Shinko slicks, but remember these are FREE for a couple of new/novice racers to get them hooked. For all of the other prizes you simply have to finish in the top 5 (or 10 depending on class entries) and you will get a raffle ticket to be drawn for one of the other prizes at the end of the season, this way a novice has just as much chance of winning a set of SM wheels for coming 10th as AMA Pro-Lites racer Dalton Dimick does for beating up on us all on his KX250F. You race 20 races for the year and place in the 10 for your class and you get 20 chances to win.

The Schedule
    May 11th
    June 8th
    July 13th
    Aug 10th
    Sep 28th

There will be an unofficial practice day the Monday before the event which is just your $35 for gate entry at IMI, and a free Tech night at Epic Motorsports the afternoon/night (Saturday) before the events.

The Venue
    IMI Motorsports Complex in Erie ( www.imimotorsports.com ), love it or hate it, IMI is close, cheap and we have a commitment from Brad Linkus, the owner of IMI to build a 'real' dirt section with a lot of input from current and ex-AMA SM racers. The dirt section will be technical but safe, you can roll every whoop and jump or you can get some serious air time depending on how nuts you are on the dirt with slicks, remember the idea is to accommodate new riders, not intimidate them.

Sponsors
    We have support from the following companies and every day there are more shops and industry partners approaching us.
    -Epic Motosports
    -Monster Energy Drink
    -Parts Unlimited
    -Western Powersports
    -Troy Lee Designs
    -Warp 9 Racing
    -EBC
    -Gene's Continental Coach Repair
    -OTD Cycle Sports
    -Boulder Nissan
    -Black Jack Pizza
    -Still waiting for responses from about a dozen other venders at this time too!

If you have a dirt bike but are worries about the cost of turning it into a SM don't worry, we sell a basic SM conversion kit for $1499 as seen here http://epicmotosports.com/epicstage1...ersionkit.aspx You don't need the $500 caliper, $2000 set of wheels, trick suspension or a built engine to compete, hell I was just as fast on my 250 as I am on my 450........ bugger!!!

If you aren't sure if SM is something you want to do, keep an eye on this site( www.supermotojunkie.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58 ) as usually a bunch of people will organise a huge group that will get together and go ride, can will probably get a few laps on someone's bike without too much trouble. Last Sunday Dale Eaton did a session on my 450 and was ordering stuff for his YZ426 before he even got off the bike!

If you have any other questions give us a call at Epic Motosport (303.485.1858 or email Kevin at kevin@epicmotosports.com
    It is what it is

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Re: Colorado Supermoto Shootout

This sounds like a blast! Now I just have to find a supermoto bike. :-)

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Sounds like a promising season! Thanks!

Badhabit

Current bikes: 2005 KTM 625 SMC, 1998 Honda Superhawk

Past bikes: 2004 Yamaha R1, 2001 Buell M2 Cyclone,
    1999 Yamaha R6, 1996 Kawasaki EX500

Good work Clarkie, this looks like a good time for sure. Now if I could some how manage to get another toy in the garage, I would join you. SM looks like hella fun, and if Dale Eaton could do it, anyone can
    Casey D

lol! yea Dale sucks, so if he does you have to show him how it's done It is definitely easier than trying to muscle your R6 round IMI for sure. If you are out on Sunday hit me up and take my 450 for a spin
    It is what it is