View Poll Results: Which Helmet is Best?

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoei

19 21.59%
  • Arai

23 26.14%
  • AGV

2 2.27%
  • HJC

5 5.68%
  • Suomy

10 11.36%
  • KBC

2 2.27%
  • Scorpion

11 12.50%
  • Shark

7 7.95%
  • Bell

1 1.14%
  • other

8 9.09%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best Helmet Brand

Re: Best Helmet Brand

Quote Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
    I have had several Shoei helmets. Liked them all for the most part. Fairly quiet, warm in the winter but hot in the summer.

Still have an old Bieffe (sp) sitting on my helmet shelf from years ago. (crap lid)

I have always REALLY wanted an Arai so when I needed a new helmet this time I got an Arai Profile UK. (long oval). Fits wonderfully!!! Lighter than my Shoeis, noisier but also MUCH MUCH cooler in the summer. The vents do a MUCH better job at keeping my head coola and dry.

Overall the Arai just feels more quality than the Shoeis I have had. (should for 2x the price).
    I had two Arai Edward's Replica RX7-RRs, and both came out of the box with defective flip-vents. Instead of opening, they'd just stick. So, at my cost, I had to send them back to Arai to get them warrantied. Plus, even with my shaved head I never thought the vents did much other than create a ton of noise. And, as RYBO points out, the shield change is a major PITA.

You're experience may vary, but for the $$, I've never been impressed with Arai.

For about the same money, my Shoei X-SPII and my latest X-11 are far better. Even my "loaner" RF-1000 mid-range helmet is light, quiet, and well-made (according to those who've used it, I've never actually ridden in it).

And as for weight, good luck telling the difference:

Arai Corsair RX7-RR 3lbs 6.6oz
    Shoei X-Eleven 3lbs 7.2oz
    Shoei RF-1000 3lbs 5.4oz

Evaluation by Helmet Harbor:
    Shoei has 2 wind tunnels, in-house. The helmet travels through the air with very little drag or buffeting. The X-Eleven seems to “cut the wind like a warm knife through butter”. Even crosswind buffeting is virtually eliminated. Also, our testing shows that the X-Eleven can handle speeds up to 160mph with little to no headshake.
    Ventilation
    Shoei developed a completely different way of making the X-11 vent, when compared to the rest of the helmet world. Shoei uses two separate layers of foam EPS and sandwich them together when the helmet is assembled. Between these two layers they incorporated channels, which allows air to move freely and effectively through the helmet. Kind of like duct work in your home.
    Most helmet manufacturers still punch holes through the EPS foam and the outer shell. We can't count the number of customers who have walked back into our store during the Arizona summer months and thanked us for showing them the X-Eleven.
    Noise Levels
    “Okay, I have heard it said that race helmets are too noisy for riding on the street”. That is statement is somewhat misleading, especially in regard to the Shoei X-Eleven. It isn’t noticeably different than the majority of helmets on the market. We've ridden hundreds of helmets, many back to back, and the X-Eleven does an amazing job keeping the noise at bay. (Side note: We think everyone should ride with some sort of ear-protection no matter what helmet you choose).
    What’s inside the X-Eleven?
    The Shoei X-Eleven is one of the best fitting helmets we've tested. The padding is removable and internally customizable. The replacement pads are available in several different thicknesses, so getting that custom fit is easy to accomplish.
    Shape
    The X-11 is best described as a moderate oval in terms of shell shape. Shoei has done a great job of finding the perfect compromise between round and oval. Over 80% of those that try it on get a great fit.
    The X-Eleven comes in 4 shell sizes
    The X-Eleven comes in four distinct shell sizes. Most companies use 2 different outer shells for a specific model. The first being SMALL, the second being LARGE. They take the small and use 3 different thickness pads to create sizes XS, S, and M. They do the same to the large to create L, XL, and 2XL. This means a person wearing a size LARGE is wearing the same sized Shell as someone in a 2XL.
    The Shoei X-Eleven gives you 4 rather than 2 (See Below)
    Shell #1
    X-Small and Small
    Shell #2
    Medium
    Shell #3
    Large
    Shell #4
    X-Large and 2X-Large

You’ll notice that size Medium and Large get their very own dedicated shells. The whole idea behind this concept is to give the rider the smallest and lightest helmet possible.
    Visor Removal
    We feel Shoei has one of the best visor removal systems on the market. You can take your visor off with just 1 finger and re-installing it is just as easy.
    The X-Eleven ships with a breath guard chin curtain, a quality helmet sack to keep the helmet safe. They provide the customer a 5-year warranty and they stand behind it. The helmet is available in XS through 2XL and is offered in many graphics as well as solid colors.
    Conclusion
    The Shoei X-Eleven is a helmet in a league of it’s own. It's rare when we can't find a single fault with a product, but that's the case with the X-Eleven. Shoei got this helmet right in every possible way. The quality is outstanding. The venting is the best we've tested, and the aerodynamics are flawless.

Again, I'm not a Shoei rep nor sponsored by them, so I'm just stating my experiences as a source of information (and be aware that after my first Shoei years ago, I've become as brand-loyal as some Kawi fanatics on here are about their bikes).

So, as everyone's said, go try on a ton of helmets and decide for yourself (but I'll keep my my head inside a Shoei).
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Re: Best Helmet Brand

heres my brain bucket, replacing my Arai that ive had over 10 years!
    11 BMW S 1000 RR