Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: and cops dont know why people hate them..

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Re: and cops dont know why people hate them..

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Lie to the police, run, etc. Yeah, great things to teach kids. These are the ones that will grow up to be the asshats that do stupid stuff and kill motorcyclists then run, lie, etc. If you do something you know is illegal, take responsibility when you get caught. If you think the law is wrong, challenge it in the courts. If you want to have the bad boy image, pay the price.

Dirk
    And when American society seems to be all about 49% vs. 51% nothing will ever pass the legislature. The motorcycle industry perpetuates and thrives off the 'bad-boy' image and you support that whole heartedly. Maybe not by running from the cops but in purchasing products that in turn are fueled by a rebellious industry marketing schema.

I like your analogous assumption that kids who skateboard and purchase items from www.skateboardingisnotacrime.com 'are the ones that will grow up to be the asshats that do stupid stuff and kill motorcyclists then run, lie, etc.' It speaks volumes. Get real.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Can't we all agree that there are people in EVERY single job market everywhere that are crooked/fucked up?

Priests/Lawyers/Cops/Judges/Restaurant managers/teachers/Fire Fighters/Military/Salesman/Service Writers/Technicians...

As liberal as this board is you would think there would be a little more respect for the PD.

People get pulled over for doing 100 in a 65 and then they hate cops and suddenly they're all assholes.

Most people who are well adjusted adults don't have normal run-ins with the cops, so it's a safe assumption that an encounter with a LEO is usually traffic situation right?

That's why people hate cops... because even though you know you broke the law, there's some subliminal message that your brain tells you that all cops are dicks now because you now have to write a check to your local clerk of the court.

Get over that shit. I've been there myself and I'm mature enough to know that I broke the law and that I have to pay the fine. It's called being an adult; and taking responsibility for your mistakes. The cop didn't set out that morning to write YOU a ticket.

...and stunters complaining about cops is about the DUMBEST fucking thing I've ever read in my life.
    Last edited by Sonic Boom; Fri Feb 15th, 2008 at 08:10 AM.

Careful Sonic... logic and reason have no place on these boards!
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

lol. Be careful sonic, if you start making too much sense they're going to put you in a blender.

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    And when American society seems to be all about 49% vs. 51% nothing will ever pass the legislature.
    Well, if you want the law a certain way and a majority of the population wants it another (and assuming we're not talking about an inalienable right), you have to learn to deal with it. If the majority wants the speed limit at 75mph on the interstate and you want it unlimited, you have to deal with it. If you break the law and do what you want, pay the fine. Don't bitch at the cops because they enforce the law.

The motorcycle industry perpetuates and thrives off the 'bad-boy' image and you support that whole heartedly. Maybe not by running from the cops but in purchasing products that in turn are fueled by a rebellious industry marketing schema.
    And when I act like a bad boy (e.g. speeding), I pay the price. I don't moan about the cops doing their jobs.

I like your analogous assumption that kids who skateboard and purchase items from www.skateboardingisnotacrime.com 'are the ones that will grow up to be the asshats that do stupid stuff and kill motorcyclists then run, lie, etc.' It speaks volumes. Get real.
    You mis-read what I said, Jeff. I'm not referring to kids riding skateboards. Hell, I was one of them myself for years. I'm talking about the kids that are taught to run, lie, etc. when they are caught breaking the law. When you teach that sort of mentality, they will grow up to be the kinds of people who will turn left in front of a motorcyclist and then run.

I don't have anything against skateboarders, stunters, bad boys, or anyone who happens to like different different things than I do. But, if you choose to break the law, man-up and take responsibility when you're caught.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

And no, skateboarding is not a crime. Defacing other people's property is. I don't think you'd care too much for having someone doing skateboard tricks on your bike and scratching it up.

And yes, some cops are power hungry dicks and deserve to be punished but you weaken your argument against those types when you take such an absolutist position against all of them. That's just lazy thinking.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
    Can't we all agree ..... <snip>

As liberal as this board is............ {again} <snip>
    This board is far from liberal. You'd think that there would be more progressive thinking from motorcyclists than is exhibited here in the bits and bytes world of message boarding. Far from it. There are more card carrying GOP'ers and Right-wing Bible Thumper conservatives here than anywhere I've seen. But I haven't been to the Bible Belt ---- never intend to go there either.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

This board is far from liberal. You'd think that there would be more progressive thinking from motorcyclists than is exhibited here in the bits and bytes world of message boarding. Far from it. There are more card carrying GOP'ers and Right-wing Bible Thumper conservatives here than anywhere I've seen. But I haven't been to the Bible Belt ---- never intend to go there either.

I'm not sure I agree Nick_Ninja...it would be interesting to see where we as a community do fall into place here on this board. I really think it would be more liberal than conservative around here.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Well, if you want the law a certain way and a majority of the population wants it another (and assuming we're not talking about an inalienable right), you have to learn to deal with it. If the majority wants the speed limit at 75mph on the interstate and you want it unlimited, you have to deal with it. If you break the law and do what you want, pay the fine. Don't bitch at the cops because they enforce the law.

And when I act like a bad boy (e.g. speeding), I pay the price. I don't moan about the cops doing their jobs.

You mis-read what I said, Jeff. I'm not referring to kids riding skateboards. Hell, I was one of them myself for years. I'm talking about the kids that are taught to run, lie, etc. when they are caught breaking the law. When you teach that sort of mentality, they will grow up to be the kinds of people who will turn left in front of a motorcyclist and then run.

I don't have anything against skateboarders, stunters, bad boys, or anyone who happens to like different different things than I do. But, if you choose to break the law, man-up and take responsibility when you're caught.

Dirk
    I'm all for taking personal responsibility for raising kids the correct way and up to and including hiring an attorney and raking the LEO's and their DA's across the coals when the situation dictates. Just because the majority legislate doesn't mean the system is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by *GSXR~SNAIL* View Post
    I'm not sure I agree Nick_Ninja...it would be interesting to see where we as a community do fall into place here on this board. I really think it would be more liberal than conservative around here.
    Then it's a silent majority.

And no, skateboarding is not a crime. Defacing other people's property is. I don't think you'd care too much for having someone doing skateboard tricks on your bike and scratching it up.

And yes, some cops are power hungry dicks and deserve to be punished but you weaken your argument against those types when you take such an absolutist position against all of them. That's just lazy thinking.

Dirk
    100% Agreed. Taking an absolutist stance from either position sets either side up for flaw. Any demographic is subject to the backlash of a small group's stupid actions. Bikers above anyone should realize this.
    Sure, the skaters may have asked for trouble and been due for some consequence. Was the repurcussion delivered by teh officer overzealous? I think so. Did the kids deserve some repurcussion? Quite possible. Have good kids ever paid the price for the bad kid's actions? Of course.
    Point being, and to reiterate Dirk's thoughts, absolutist views are a definite set up to be proven wrong sooner or later. Of course, one can always just ignore the percentile of instances where the holes in absolutist logic are exploited. Then they are absolutist and always right! Yahoo!

Fuggit....chain the kid and the cop to an anchor and push 'em overboard....
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

I'm all for taking personal responsibility for raising kids the correct way and up to and including hiring an attorney and raking the LEO's and their DA's across the coals when the situation dictates.
    Agreed.

Just because the majority legislate doesn't mean the system is correct.
    That's life in a democracy. But I haven't seen anything better yet. We all have to fight the good fight. Demonizing people who think differently only leads to unrest and ultimately a loss of freedoms. Like cops vs. citizens. Bikers vs. cagers. Christians vs. atheists. Whites vs. blacks and so on.Lack of civility to one another increases these tensions and gets us on a path where freedoms are lost. See my sig.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Agreed.

That's life in a democracy. But I haven't seen anything better yet. We all have to fight the good fight. Demonizing people who think differently only leads to unrest and ultimately a loss of freedoms. Like cops vs. citizens. Bikers vs. cagers. Christians vs. atheists. Whites vs. blacks and so on.Lack of civility to one another increases these tensions and gets us on a path where freedoms are lost. See my sig.

Dirk
    I'm not worried about losing freedoms if I'm an ass to a cop what-so-ever. I'd only be an ass to a cop if I was immediately put on his/her shit list. I get the feeling that sport bikers are on that list by default. Cops are a necessary evil in a society that perpetuates greed and an aristocratic attitude. I'll stop short of calling the bourgeois 'Capitalist Pigs' but I know I'm not too far from the truth when offering up a description of the current society we live in.

Cops are a necessary evil in a society that perpetuates greed and an aristocratic attitude. I'll stop short of calling the bourgeois 'Capitalist Pigs' but I know I'm not too far from the truth when offering up a description of the current society we live in.
    Well, I'm sure that there are elements of that but this country is pretty damn diverse and the generosity of the American people vis a vis charitable giving is pretty impressive, even among people of very meager economic means. I know. I grew up in such a family. I prefer a system whereby people can, with perhaps a lot of work, achieve their goals. My personal experience is a good example of that.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson