Thread: Blue Ridge Speeders

Blue Ridge Speeders

News Story on speeders (typical anti-biker), however they do address a problem and aren't completely horribly biased.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=3.1.1

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/pa...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

At the end of the first video- I have incredible respect for the officer who didn't want to cause panic in the rider going that fast.

Re: Blue Ridge Speeders

Thats pretty crazy, 1 death every other day. Sounds like a bunch of squids!

Quote Originally Posted by Jobe View Post
    That’s pretty crazy, 1 death every other day. Sounds like a bunch of squids!

it was one crash every other day... only a handful of fatalities. there is no mention of the number of accidents that were caused by the rider vs. the driver.

having been born and raised in GA, i've ridden deals gap/dragons tail numerous times. the most dangerous part about that road actually is the tractor trailers that pass through.

yet no story about that huh???

it's completely asinine that they would even run this story. yeah, you have a few bad apples out there that don't know how to ride and don't wear proper gear. inevitably, these are the guys trying to exceed their limits and the ones who typically cross double yellow and low/high side.

in regards to slamming head on into cars, i actually knew a guy that did this and survived. guess what, the car was the one that crossed double yellow and he hit the car. he was treated like the bad guy though b/c he was exceeding the speed limit (not by much and which isn't hard on a road like that by bike or car).

i fully understand the need for safety, proper gear, non-excessive speeds, etc, but people also need to understand that people travel from miles around to ride that one particular stretch of road as a hobby/passion. seriously, how hard is it to let someone pass when using mirrors properly? why sit there and bitch about bikes on your ass and bitch about them passing you when you can simply pull slightly to the right and wave them by? i LOVE motorcycling and love driving as well. when i'm on a road like deals gap or any of the canyon roads here in CO i am constantly watching my mirrors for faster riders/drivers. it is absolutely no problem for me to let them pass and i actually enjoy it when in a car. i get a kick out of watching a fellow motorcyclist go by and enjoy a corner properly.

it's funny, in that video there is a clip of a woman calling in to "report sum bad drivin' by dem' sportbikers"... not to stereotype, but she is the exact type of bitch that would be driving at 24 mph in a ford expedition talking on the phone swerving, weaving, crossing double yellow and making it impossible to pass safely.

sorry to ramble on about this, but having lived/ridden in the southeast and denver and comparing that to riding the roads in CA, it is NO comparison. there was a road in san diego called palomar mountain that drivers knew to get out of the way of bikers. there were a few accidents here and there, but far fewer than what is presented in the video of deals gap.

anyway, i'm done talking about this... i just hate people that bitch about stuff when all they have to do is get out of the way. can you tell that i can't stand incompetent drivers?

geez!

ps... i don't even own a street bike anymore b/c of all of this. see anyone at the track on sunday???

d_mob, you summed up what I would have said. Coming from FL and being to that area of NC/TN I can say that you hit the nail on the head. Though, by far the WORST drivers I've dealt with were the GA drivers.
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."

Oh, as for the numbers that wreck there. Consider how many travel there just for the area. That area thrives on motorcyclists and the number that travel there. I find it interesting how store owners along those areas don't put much thought into how much business they get from the motorcyclists. As they say though. A few bad apples spoil the bunch.
    "I busted the Star Trek Enterprise's ass from a warp 6 roll.. had about 10 lightyears on it when i got out of it. Captain Picard still talks **** though... says he needs some dyno time."

The only reason sportbike riders are the target cause we're the only motorcyclists that get some enjoyment out of a twisty road. If I were in a cage like a 97 Dodge dakota on a twisty road, of course I'm going to follow the speed limit cause I have to or roll over... Cagers don't understand that sportbikes handle great on the twisties... They want us all to be riding stretched out cruisers and riding the speed limit... I like cruising on my wing but it will fly also... I never get krap for passing cagers while riding the wing but I'm' damned if I do it on the gixxer at the same speed... Its the image... the wing is for old folks and the gixxer is for those darn racers...
    So scared of getting older, I'm only good at being young

OMG so here we go.. please.. i hat sitting here and reading peoples long listed replies. but im going to quote by quote say what these guys are saying and you tell me if and where im wrong.. i will accept that not ALL sportbike riders are safe and drive the speed limit... but to go all out and say throughout the entire media coverage that it is ALL sportbikes and not once say that they clocked, or seen or viewed a harley, or cruiser, or goldwing racing through the canyons is just plain out and simply utter disrespect and nothing but hate towards us.. Now if we were black or what not this would be called racism and/or hate... So when is that going to be broken down to that.. we are the new "guns" on the street.. you hear nothing but bad and not one good... seriously guys, alot of us do do some stupid shit, but most of us try to keep it on private roads but some times we end up riding a little fast in the canyons.. but to be hated on for what OTHER motorcyles and ever some CARS do is just utmost disrespect and i take this in so much offense that its not even funny... im not going to lie, what im saying right now im making sure that i send IN email to FOX news in Atlanta.. Sometimes when you see what you say after you say it.. you realize how bad you really sound.. So lets continue...

"people are enjoying the scenery, many come by motorcyle.. Most of those (im assuming your not talking about us sportbike riders) drive slowly and safely.. But mountain sheriffs, shop owners and citizens say some sportbikes are TERRORIZING (wow, its harsh to think that just because we own a sportbike we are now in the category of terrorists... So that means in according to your news, that because we ride a "sportbike" that means we give the same risk as someone planning to blow up the world trade center or etc? wow those are some harsh words.. I can accept that us "sportbike riders" are causing a chaos or causing a wreck so to speak, but to put us in the same category as someone that bombs this country to cause chaos to the economy and cause a war is a little extent dont ya think?) the tourists" Now id like to see amongst those that you interviewed.. how many stating that they did NOT like sportbikes and how many of them say they dont like "Motorcycles" in general? Not sure about you but it sounds like a simple case of HATE right off the bat!

"thousands flock here to enjoy the scenery, but listen (sportbike sound and sirens, not harleys) "i knew i was going to die" "It scares the people" "but the noise you hear (sportbikes again) the sound of discontent" (AKA Terrorism, kinda like the sound of bombs exploding right? but yet i dont hear people screaming for their lives... hmmm) "some sportbike riders they say, have turned these roads into private race tracks" (OMG are you serious... now any honest media anchor should sit and honestly say "we have seen several motorcycles come by here at high rates of speed causing chaos!") Now i can accept you saying MOST of them are sportbikes cause lets face it, your harley can never do what our bikes are made to do... just a simple fact and not me trying to boast up on our bikes and make us seem better then any others...

"motorcycles go by here in access of 100mph" (gee now this time thankfully they didn't say "sportbikes" but wait... what does this mean? does this mean that all your hate towards us isn't directed towards us, but yet right off the bat it was all about the sportbikes and not simply motorcycles?

"he says Motorcycles scream around the mountain in winner take all races"

"we made a report of the last motorcycle (hey theres that word again and not just "sportbikes") accidents in the 5 countys that incircle the infamous loop as of jan of last year and came across 300 (306) motorcycle (hmm there it is again) accidents, thats about a motorcycle accident every 2 days and 13 people died... wait... did you mean to say 13 sportbike riders died? or did you mean to say that 13 people were killed by sportbikes?

Lets continue shall we?

"most motorcyclist we seen were driving safely (show harleys riding) but most were driving irratic and we didn't look long to find the people causing the problem" (sportbikes shown in video clip)

"how many accidents have you had today? 2 motorcycles. "both motorcycles?" both motorcycles, "both bullet bikes" (im assuming you meant to imply those were sportbikes?)

"we clocked speeds in access of 150mph" (show sportbikes speeding yet again and not one harley or goldwing speeding)

"we were constantly passed by sportbikes" "zooming up on our tail passing on a double yellow line and even on blind curves" (now pause right there and notice the NON sport bike that is so called "zooming" up on his tail... i dont see a sportbike on his tail...

"hit head on by a speeding sportbike flying out of control around the curve and her bicycle was sheered in half" Now i know some of you have ran around boulder.. How many times have you come around a blind corner EVEN at the speed limit whether in your car or on your bike and had some guy on his bicycle on his 10 speeding riding his bike at 10 mph down the middle of the lane... hmmmm

"some sportbike riders are RUINING the mountains" (so lets see we went from "motorcylists" are tearing around here etc.. to lets get back to "sportbikers are doing this"... notice how this is no different then the gun crap? you hear so much about the bad things about guns but little to none about what (GOOD) guns do for people? (do we have hillary to thank for this? Go hillary for president y'all.. first guns then it will be we have to purchase a sportbike on the black market cause they kill people, not the idiot behind the handlebars!

"i think the people are being "TERRORIZED" (hey look there we go again, im assuming your talking about sportbikes and not simply motorcycles) by the "very FEW" sportbike riders (wait at first it was ALL about the sportbikers and how terroristic they are and how much they are the ones to blame, but now we are the very few?) that come here just for the curves and just for the excitment" (so im assuming that the reason us sportbike riders are the ones and im assuming only ones that come to those mountains due to the curves is because you turn on the television and see sportbikes riding the curves at very high rate of speeds right? So now riddle me this, if you were to turn on the television and see harleys or goldwings etc racing for the gold cup would we THEN finally be out of this category that thats all we are there for?) Anyone recall the Harley on Tail of the dragon that tried to pass the van on a double yellow and failed and drove right off that nice little cliff?

(lady calling in about a motorcyle)"I wanna report wreckless motorcycles running at least 100 mph, passing people on a double yellow line, one of them almost ran into the side of us" (so let me get this straight... here for a min you were nonstop about "sportbike riders" but yet everything that goes against you is "motorcycles" I dont know about you but when i have been pulled over in the canyons the cop tells me, "we got a report of a yellow SPORTBIKE running these canyons in danger at high speeds and driving wreckless.. and everyone i have ever known to call in a crotch rocket aka sportbike is very quick at making it VERY clear that it was a sportbike not a "motorcycle" or a "harley" or a "big cruiser bike"
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

"driving 95 and 100mph on this mountain can get you killed" (props finally someone in this video didn't narrow this down and say "driving 95 and 100mph on a sportbike on this mountain can get you killed" but still you didn't say "driving at 95 and 100mph which is quite capable on a sportbike, goldwing, short tail, hard tail, soft tail, shadow, cruiser etc... (which i might add are ALL capable of DOING these speeds) can get you killed!

"a SMALL percentage of miscreants are causing ALL the problems" (so are we terrorist, miscreants or murderes or what are we... are are we D.) all of these above?) now let get this straight.... so a SMALL percentage, lets say 20% of ALL are causing ALL the problems!! now you didn't specify.. so lets leave to judge this SMALL when you say this isn't ALL sportbike riders and are ALSO riders on cruisers or small groups of harleys right!?... hmm or do you? sounds like a case of hate and/or racism... (this comment coming from a rider since he was 16) now im sure he has NEVER sped down this mountain and has never broken the speed limit neither.. what do you bet he DOESNT ride a "sportbike" (he also says that most of his customers abide by the law, respect the locals and the mountains" (now lets ask this same guy if ALL of these customers rider these harleys etc and if any of these customers that ABIDE by the laws and respect the customers and the mountains ride sportbikes.. Cause i know alot of us riders "sportbikes" give the upmost respect towards shop owners and the customer and even more the Mountains.. Cause i mean lets face it, anyone that doesn't respect something that can kill you so quickly such as the mountains is just plain stupid.. and i dont speak for ALL sportbike riders and i really dont speak for all Motorcycle owners neither"

"but he knows that as sure as the sun sets on another weekend in north geogia a small segment of sportbikes will be preparing to come back and RUIN the mountains he loves... "i dont know why they are doing it but its a, it brings the heat down on all the, everybody else that just wants to enjoy riding the mountains!" (so now again why narrow it down to the "sportbikes" are causing all of the problems?... I dont know about you but i ride the mountains to enjoy the view and the ride.. and i hate knowing that the locals are going to be out there trying to lay sticks in the road, throwing gravel in the road, just because they see sportbikes causing problems... we dont ONLY cause the problems its just maybe that we ride in packs and they hear us coming... Wow it sounds like me that we are the new and improved so to speak hells angels.. only thing is we aren't carrying guns and robbing and shooting at people.. our bike is our crime...

"Its a SMALL number of sportbikes causing MOST of the problems..."

"we busted out the meter to see the speeds that they are riding and its hard to believe what they are running tomorrow night"
    "If you love something, let it go... If it comes back to you, you've just high sided!"

'01 GSXR 750~Scorpion Exhaust~Carbon rear wheel cover, chain guard, intake, mirrors and signals~Targa Windscreen

"its hard to believe how fast they are going, but it must be hard as police officers to be able to catch these bikes going as fast as you said" Now lets take this on a simple fact, how many groups of 20-30-40 or so harley riders as soon as they enter the national park have the rangers getting on the radio informing all the other rangers that we are entering the park.. We are treated just like they said above.. like "terrorists" Now i do understand that we have some riders that do run the mountains in stupid speeds and risk not only their own lives but the lives of everyone else running that road because of their stupidity... But thats like saying that every harley rider is carrying a gun and intends to rob you cause of the cases with the hells angels, or the Sons of Silence.. But you didn't see that, you didn't see every harley rider being accused of what a certain or in this case "small" group or sportbike riders are doing.. you see ALL sportbike riders being curse and cussed about what some riders are doing.. Im seriously sick and tired of being hated, attempted to be ran of the road or shot at.. Just cause the simple fact that i ride a sportbike...

Simply this entire video was based fully on Sportbikes, but several times in the video they were reffered to as Motorcycles... Now what is it people? are these sportbikes that are causing the problems and are speeding sportbikes or are they motorcycles? Cause not once in this entire thing did i hear you talking about the harleys or cruisers that were straight flying through these canyons which i know for a FACT they were... i dont care whether you ride a dirt bike, a harley, a goldwing or a sportbike.... at least ALL of these different types of bikes are flying through those canyons...... This entire hate towards sportbike riders is getting old really fast... I understand that their are some which you say "small group" in your case of sportbike riders that are not only risking their lives, but the lives of innocent riders and drivers in their cars.. But for you to sit here and narrow it down to just sportbikes when you know for a FACT that it isn't just them is seriously a bad case of hate... Are you trying to get rid of ALL riders that ride sportbikes just cause of what you see or whats the deal? Its like saying just because gang bangers go around and shoot and kill each other that all of a sudden anyone that owns a gun does nothing but go around and shoot and kill people..

Seriously, this is nothing but proof that the government owns these radio stations and the public is told what they are wanting to be told.. So in the future after the sportbike riders are weeded out and they are not out running these canyons, then and MAYBE then you will see all the OTHER bike riders that are doing the same thing.. then guess what? same scenario but different type of bike is being targeted.. Its nothing different then first the rottwielers were being targeted as evil, mean and crooked dogs, and when they were taken down then they went for the pits.. Seriously this country makes me sick, they make me sick how they have to pick on a certain society, race, religion etc.. just to make the public seem interested...

FOX I hate how you for how you critisize and hate on sportbike riders just cause of a "small" as you say group of sportbike riders doing what they seem to be doing in your small state of georgia but yet not once did you say anything in there about any OTHER kind of rider on a different kind of bike when you know very well that it was there doing the same exact thing.. Maybe you should sit and run your google or yahoo or youtube and get a little more reseach in before you sit and bad mouth on a whole group.. maybe then will you realize that we are not the only ones out their causing these problems..

Im done, i have spent like 2 hours sending this reply... stopping, replaying and quoting all the nonsens that was said in this entire news cast... FOX do a little reseach before you open your mouth.. Learn the simple lesson, dont hate on all people due to something 1 person said to you.. cause we are all different.
    Last edited by BeoBe; Tue Feb 26th, 2008 at 02:30 AM.

"Thank you for contacting Fox. We value your opinions and suggestions. Our team will respond accordingly to your submission."

We shall see...

To Be Continued...

UPDATE:

When trying to access the 2nd video i got this "We're sorry. There are no stories currently available for this section"

nothing? nothing from the club and nothing from fox... cant say im suprised tho