Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions of Gloves?

Opinions of Gloves?

I am looking for get a new pair of riding glaves since my bike is no longer blue. I am looking for a good comfortable pair of carbon fiber knuckle over wrist gloves. I have tried on the Joe Rocket mesh and leather ones, and they seem comfortable. Which brand and style do you all recommend?
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: Opinions of Gloves?

Just get the kind that have lots of good straps/zippers/etc. If you put your hand down whilst sliding along the tarmac, you want that sucker to stay on. Kangaroo skin gloves are very nice and durable. Check around the different manufs. to see who makes them.

Some of the shop guys around here, should know.
    Last edited by ~Barn~; Thu Mar 6th, 2008 at 08:52 AM.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

AKA "Devaclis"

A-Stars SP2: http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...FQUQlwodthFdxA

I like my Joe Rockets a LOT. Not carbon knuckles but they are padded and VERY comfortable. I have been pegged in the fingers with rocks on 85 and never had a problem.

I have these in Yellow: http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...ide-glove.html
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    A-Stars SP2: http://www.ridersdiscount.com/street...FQUQlwodthFdxA

I like my Joe Rockets a LOT. Not carbon knuckles but they are padded and VERY comfortable. I have been pegged in the fingers with rocks on 85 and never had a problem.

I have these in Yellow: http://www.oneidasuzuki.com/store/pa...ide-glove.html
    I have tried on those Joe Rocket padded leathers too, I liked them a lot. I may go with the Aline Stars SP2 if I can talk myself into spending that much.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)

Spidi has the best gloves on the market. www.motonation.com
    Casey D

+1 for A-Stars, good gloves

I won a pair of gloves from the Racers Supply a couple of months ago. They use the softest leather I have found and they are remarkably comforatable. Best part is they are only $39. Worth a shot for that price.

http://www.racersupply.com/productsGloves.asp

Cost of the gloves seems for the most part directly proportional to the amount of protection provided. There's so much competition out there for good gear that this rule seems to hold solid.

I put down $50 for some gloves and I thought I was doing right by my hands. Well, after comparing them to some $100+ gloves now I realize I probably should have spent the extra coin.

I wouldn't buy a glove under $100(regular price). If you can find Held or Kushitani you can't go wrong with either. I also have a pair of A* GP Plus that seem protective but not very comfortable. My Icon Timax have held up in three crashes and are pretty comfortable for the protection they provide. Based on my crashes I always look for the following traits:

Wrist strap
    Multiple layers or rivets on the lower palm
    Hard protection on the outside of the wrist

You rarely find all of the above three traits on cheap gloves. I really prefer rivets on the palm for the following reason:

These are A* SMX Carbon Air. - Not recommended
    Last edited by jbnwc; Thu Mar 6th, 2008 at 11:17 AM.
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Here is a link for a previous write-up on quality gloves:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...15&postcount=3

And, even though I currently have a well broken-in (I've had to repair the seams twice in one season) pair of carbon fiber gloves, I won't be buying another pair. Carbon fiber light and cool looking. But, when it breaks, it shreds into tiny glass shards that can pierce right through a glove. You are better off with another high-quality product over your knuckles.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

I agree with Pilot on the knuckle protectors. IMO the knuckle protector is over-emphasized. I've had titanium and carbon/kevlar knuckle protectors in crashes, but the knuckle barely touched the pavement. It was the wrist and palms that took most of the beating in my cases. I'm more concerned about the flexibility that the glove has at the knuckles. My GP Plus gloves have carbon/kevlar knuckles, but they are not designed to move and are uncomfortable because of it. My Timax gloves, however, have a floating titanium knuckle and are much more comfortable(and they won't shatter).
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Jesus jbnwc! Ouch. I hope that healed up good.

And I definitely +1 your recomendation to not wear motocross gear for street riding. They look nice, will probably fit nice, and vent great, but the prospect of tying my shoes without thumbs, doesn't sound fun.
    :shudder:

Get you some quality gear RyNo; nothing short of "suitable for track use". If you ever have to use it, it will be well worth the premium price you paid.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

knuckle protection is not over rated. I have several pairs of A* GP1's to prove it.

here are probably the best gloves you can get under $100. they are normally $150 but on sale for only $75. only downside is they are only available in size large. visit www.motonation.com
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    I wouldn't buy a glove under $100(regular price). If you can find Held or Kushitani you can't go wrong with either...
    Those are both great manufacturers. I wear Held gloves and love them, they have the riveted palms. I endorse the Alpinestars because the honey wears them and they're good quality. He picked up a new pair of GP Plus from Donnie at Performance and they are quite nice.

That's not a pic of me, Barn. I learned my lesson from other people's mistakes and bought good gear before I crashed. I keep the pic as a warning to others because it seems that most newbies go cheap on the gloves for some reason.

That's a great deal on those Spidi's, dragos! I don't think knuckle protectors are over rated, just over emphasized. All of my gloves have some sort of hard knuckle protector, but when I crash I don't seem to do any damage to the knuckles. Do you?

www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

Dragos - do you have a direct link to those Spidi's? I can't find them on motonation.

RyNo - another good gear site is www.newenough.com
    www.cocsba.com

'00 ZX12R
    '03 SV1000

i have only burned thru the knuckles once on my SP1's. it was a rough crash coming out of turn 10 and slid like 300 feet down the straight. i understand what you mean tho, there are much more important parts to worry about. knuckles almost always have adequite protection. its things that people dont notice like palm, pinky finger, thumb, etc that can cause the problems.

i guess its all a matter of what you'll be doing. its hard to get a full race glove and still be fully comfortable. they are made to be stiff without much flex. its also hard to get a street glove that will actually work when you crash. i guess, find something that suits your needs. but like i have always said, DONT SKIMP ON GEAR. an extra hundred bucks could be the difference from going home or going to the hospital.
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by jbnwc View Post
    Dragos - do you have a direct link to those Spidi's? I can't find them on motonation.

RyNo - another good gear site is www.newenough.com
    when you go to motonation, select Spidi at the top. then scroll down to "sale items" or something like that at the bottom. its just the words without a pic. then you have about 3 pages of stuff on sale. let me know if you find it as i cannot directly link to the page.
    Casey D

Haha. I just saw this on the Kushitani website link for their sponsorship at the Freddie Spencer racing school:

If you buy Kushitani, this is your USA representative.

Mike (center):

US KUSHITANI INC.
    4059 Lincoln Blvd #E
    Marina Del Rey, CA 90292
    TEL: 310 823 9111
    FAX: 310 823 9112
    877.34SUITS
    Tuesday - Friday 10:00a.m. - 6:30p.m. Saturday 11:00a.m - 5:00p.m.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

im a big fan of held gloves

Yeah, I am no cheapo when it comes to safety on my bike. I am putting up the money for the Scorpion Exo 1000 because its Kevlar re-enforced. MY work sells the alpine stars, so I will probably go with those.

Right now, I ride with ICON Tarmac 2.0s, and they do not seem too crash worthy
    Last edited by RyNo24; Thu Mar 6th, 2008 at 12:57 PM.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)

AKA "Devaclis"

My wife is getting the EXO-1000 on Saturday. REALLY nice helmet. Good choice. They are a bit on the heavy side for me but I would rock one for the price
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    My wife is getting the EXO-1000 on Saturday. REALLY nice helmet. Good choice. They are a bit on the heavy side for me but I would rock one for the price
    I also like the retractable sun shield, I have a mirrored one on my Exo 400, but night riding sucks with it on. Now I can just slip it up when it gets dark.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)

another recent post.... look at the url posted by Joe. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=20220

--spend what you think your head and hands are worth--

imo icon Ti-gauntlets, nolan modular
    --glad to be here cause the barrier didn't move--
    bus_henry
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09