Thread: advice on leathers?

advice on leathers?

I am looking to get into track riding a bit. I have a 250 Ninja that I am ready to take out to IMI. I need to get some leathers before I do. I have an armored leather riding jacket, but can't decide if I want to go for a full track suit or just get some pants that zip to the jacket. Does anyone have any advice on what to get, which brands are the good ones, where to get them, etc?

Thanks,
    -Jon

Re: advice on leathers?

I would go with a one piece for track riding...

really depends on how much you wanna spend.
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

One piece, or at least a 2 piece that's a full-zip. You don't want it separating on you when you're sliding along the ground.

Brands...depends on what you want to spend. Most are more-or-less the same for basic protection, more money just gets you more nifty features (like helmets).

I'd just find something you like, that's in your price range, and get it.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quality two piece, full-zip would be fine at IMI and they're a lot easier to get in and out of than a one-piece.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    One piece, or at least a 2 piece that's a full-zip. You don't want it separating on you when you're sliding along the ground.

Brands...depends on what you want to spend. Most are more-or-less the same for basic protection, more money just gets you more nifty features (like helmets).

I'd just find something you like, that's in your price range, and get it.
    I mostly disagree with that they are all the same in regards to protection and that extra bucks only get you extra features. Quality leathers sustain multiple crashes and are designed to be repaired. Some of the cheap stuff isn't really sufficient for even one crash. There are many good products out there, and there is certainly some junk. The other very important consideration is fit. Get to some places that stock lots of stuff, like Performance, and try stuff on to see what fits. Gear I've had that's worked well include Vanson, HJC (my suit is labeled HJC but was identical to the MOTO GP suit that year. Other people I know have done well with the MOTO GP stuff that was cowhide, but not so well with the kangaroo) and Alpinstars. I've seen both nice and not so nice Joe Rocket suits as well as nice and not so nice Teknic stuff.

In some cases the zip together feature is brand dependent, so you may have to get the same brand pants as your jacket is if you go that route. For riding at IMI that should be more than fine, will save you a few bucks and is a more versatile combination. For larger tracks and higher speeds the 2 pc is still OK, but the one piece works better.

Hope that helps. Do a quick search on here, one of our members (konichd) was selling some Teknic pants in good shape for a reasonable price.

Scott

Spidi is the only way to go, IMO www.motonation.com
    Casey D

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Price is probably going to be your biggest factor, however that doesn't mean you can't get a quality product for a small price.

I've used Teknic gear and like it a lot. My jackets/pants have all held up through numerous trackdays and for the price I paid I'm happy. Fortunately I haven't crashed (yet) so I can't vouch for the durability. If you have a jacket I have some pants with a zipper. http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=20390

I just bought a new Teknic suit off E-bay for 325 shipped. Same suit at Performance is @ 500 bucks. I decided instead of spending 700-1200 on a A-star, Spidi, etc. I could buy a lower cost suit and if it needed to be replaced it was pretty cheap.

If your going to be doing a lot of track days its probably worth the investment to go "higher end" but I'm only doing 4-5 trackdays so the Teknic was my choice.

Good luck!
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Thanks for all the info so far. Which shops in the area carry the best assortment of leathers? I should probably go and try a bunch of the different ones on to see fit.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Performance off Evans and Broadway in Englewood
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Business in the front, party in the back! CYCLE_MONKEY's Avatar
    The white section of Aurora (Tallyn's Reach)

I got a killer deal on a 2-pieca Alpinestars suit, GP-Pro gloves, and GP-Pro boots. Saved over $500 on everything. I'm in the "big&tall" sizes, in fact, just fit (perfectly) in the largest size suit Alpinestars makes, so I was able to get closeout deals on everything I bought. I don't think you can go wrong with them. Look for their closeout deals first, there's serious $$ to be saved on last years' (new) gear. I was lucky and got everything I wanted in the right size AND colors. Kushitani leathers are great but expensive, Dainese are like that too. Z-Leathers, in SoCal make off-the-rack suits now in addition to their customs, and I know a lot of guys out there use them and they are excellent quality too. Spidi suits are another option. Can't say too much about Joe Rocket or MotoGP as they're new.

I tell you, leathers were the best investment I ever made in gear. I love wearing them and the safety and comfort they provide on long trips.

Best of luck!
    --------------------------------------------------
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Blu/Wht '01 Gixxer 1K, '91 KX500
    Tokin' SortaTalian
    (Pronounced: Kind-A-Dago)

Stay away from the 2pc, you will end up kicking yourself in the end for not going to a 1pc suit. Also (dont know what size you are) but i have what you call a 'gut' and 2pc suits are WAY less comfortable then the 1 pc. Also regardless of the shape your in, it will allow you to move on the bike quite a bit better.

Stay away from teknic or motogp kangroo suits, go with rs-taichi, spidi, astars, fieldsheer... and maybe joe rocket

jason
    Jason Leleck
    MRA #399

Faster Motosports, XBAM!, Unink, Printworks, Leo Vince Exhaust, Gaerne Boots, Bridgestone, Chickenhawk Racing, Ferodo Brakes, Woodcraft-CFM

Quote Originally Posted by Lel View Post
    Stay away from the 2pc, you will end up kicking yourself in the end for not going to a 1pc suit. Also (dont know what size you are) but i have what you call a 'gut' and 2pc suits are WAY less comfortable then the 1 pc. Also regardless of the shape your in, it will allow you to move on the bike quite a bit better.

Stay away from teknic or motogp kangroo suits, go with rs-taichi, spidi, astars, fieldsheer... and maybe joe rocket

jason
    Well, I don't race, but for me I love having the versatility of the 2-pc. I'm not sure if a 2-pc is legal in all racing series though. If you're not buying it strictly for racing, I'd say get the 2-pc. I use mine mostly on the street, and love it.

Your choice though.
    "...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag. We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
    Well, I don't race, but for me I love having the versatility of the 2-pc. I'm not sure if a 2-pc is legal in all racing series though. If you're not buying it strictly for racing, I'd say get the 2-pc. I use mine mostly on the street, and love it.
    +1 For racing, you definitely want a one-piece. But for street and something like IMI, a 2-piece works great and is a hell of a lot easier to get in and out of. The MRA does allow full-zip 2-piece suits but I'd definitely go for a 1-piece when racing.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Thanks again for the info. These will be worn mostly for street riding, so the pants to zip into my jacket might be the best choice for now. I will be taking the 250 to do laps at IMI though. If I decide to get more serious about track riding, I can always decide to upgrade then.

I went to Performance today. It's an impressive store. I tried on a few pairs of pants, none of which was a good fit. The Alpinestars pants fit the worst. I am a 32 and the 32s in those fit real weird in the knees. One was fine, but on the left it cut into my kneecap. The 34s I could have swam in. I also tried the Teknic 32s, which fit in the waist, but were baggy in the legs and especially in the butt. I could have shat my pants 5 or 6 times and there would have still been plenty of room. The nice thing about the Teknics was that they zipped into my jacket.

The hunt still continues.

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    I mostly disagree with that they are all the same in regards to protection and that extra bucks only get you extra features. Quality leathers sustain multiple crashes and are designed to be repaired. Some of the cheap stuff isn't really sufficient for even one crash. There are many good products out there, and there is certainly some junk. The other very important consideration is fit. Get to some places that stock lots of stuff, like Performance, and try stuff on to see what fits. Gear I've had that's worked well include Vanson, HJC (my suit is labeled HJC but was identical to the MOTO GP suit that year. Other people I know have done well with the MOTO GP stuff that was cowhide, but not so well with the kangaroo) and Alpinstars. I've seen both nice and not so nice Joe Rocket suits as well as nice and not so nice Teknic stuff.

In some cases the zip together feature is brand dependent, so you may have to get the same brand pants as your jacket is if you go that route. For riding at IMI that should be more than fine, will save you a few bucks and is a more versatile combination. For larger tracks and higher speeds the 2 pc is still OK, but the one piece works better.

Hope that helps. Do a quick search on here, one of our members (konichd) was selling some Teknic pants in good shape for a reasonable price.

Scott
    Depends on the experiences someone has, I suppose.

Back when my friend was getting into racing, AGV (are they even still around?) had a "racer starter set" that was everything: helmet, boots, gloves, and 1pc suit for $500. I had two sets of Teknic leathers: one 2pc, one 1pc, ("Violator" or "Lightning", I can't recall) that were both super cheap, and between my friend and I, all three of these suits were unfortunate enough to be crash-tested at the track.

All three "cheap" suits held up as well as my CE-approved $1500 kangaroo & cow 1pc Corner perforated suit did.

The only differences seemed to be that my Corner suit had elasticized stretch panels, was lighter weight, was perforated, and had nifty carbon fiber bits on it (which just look cool and don't seem to add any actual protection).

For puttering around IMI on a 250 I would think that almost any basic suit (1 or 2pc) would be fine...
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Used can save you $$ too. Here's a set listed in our own forums:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=20534
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I just got done shopping around for a 1 peice myself.
    Definitely check the local stores for how each brand fits then shop around.
    I found most fit at least one size tighter and in the Teknics I had to go up two sizes.

As for opinions, 2 piece should be fine for a 250 at IMI.
    Hell, I think you can even ride with textile at IMI, and although some textile jackets do hold up fairly well,
    the only thing possitive I've heard about textile pants is they're slightly better than wearing jeans.
    So stay with leather pants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sortarican View Post
    I just got done shopping around for a 1 peice myself.
    Definitely check the local stores for how each brand fits then shop around.
    I found most fit at least one size tighter and in the Teknics I had to go up two sizes.

As for opinions, 2 piece should be fine for a 250 at IMI.
    Hell, I think you can even ride with textile at IMI, and although some textile jackets do hold up fairly well,
    the only thing possitive I've heard about textile pants is they're slightly better than wearing jeans.
    So stay with leather pants.
    Actually, unless they changed things, you can ride IMI in jeans. I did my first time. Not recommended, but actually the speeds at IMI are less than I've seen on the street in jeans, so....

I got lucky. All the gear I ordered sight-unseen, knowing only my Alpinestars glove size (I had already had a pair), but was delighted the suit and boots fit so well. Especially since the suit was the largest they make! And, honestly, the zipper between the pants and jacket is so sturdy, I think they'd be fine to race in unless you were a pro. Hey, the zipper up the front of t 1-pc doesn't fail, does it?

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

whatever brand you go with, make sure the leathers fit TIGHT. my friend crashed in turn 7 at pueblo and his teknics rotated at the knee. it twisted around and then his knee cap wore a hole thru the stretchy material in the back. lets just say, the pavement then wore a hole into his knee cap.

bottom line, make sure your gear fits very snug. I know its nice to be a little loose for street riding, and thats why i think any trackday street guy should have gear for street riding (looser, 2 piece, etc) and track gear (full 1 piece, very snug fit, etc)
    Last edited by dragos13; Tue Mar 18th, 2008 at 02:49 PM. Reason: spelling
    Casey D

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    whatever brand you go with, make sure the leathers fit TIGHT. my friend crashed in turn 7 at pueblo and hit tecniks rotated at the knee. it twisted around and then his knee cap wore a hole thru the stretchy material in the back. lets just say, the pavement then wore a hole into his knee.

bottom line, make sure your gear fits very snug. I know its nice to be a little loose for street riding, and thats why i think any trackday street guy should have gear for street riding (looser, 2 piece, etc) and track gear (full 1 piece, very snug fit, etc)
    +1

-Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    Tokin' SortaTalian

I started with a 2 piece teknic suit..... it was a suit that I got for a crazy cheap price, that's all i can say since I don't want to say anything terrible about it.

But moved onto an RS-Taichi suit from Faster Motorsports, now obviously there was more than a substantial price jump but..... the quality and fitment for me far outweighed the price jump. The suit is nice enough that I have it hanging by itself on my coat rack with nothing else to interfere with it hahaha.....