Thread: METALIC OIL

METALIC OIL

I just changed the oil in my 07 gs 500f. I drained and dumped the crank case oil, all looked normal. I then changed out the filter (not a spin-on). When I dumped the oil from the filter I noticed in the afternoon sunlight that it had a matalic sheen to it. I have never seen this before, could it be normal, coming from the dirty side of the filter, or should I be concerned? The bike runs fine, no problems. Yet. It has 8000mi on it.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: METALIC OIL

I wouldn't be concerned, I'd be happy! Looks like your filter is working well, and catching detritus.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

AKA "Devaclis"

Were there any metallic particles on the drain plug magnet?
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    Were there any metallic particles on the drain plug magnet?
    No, it was clean.
    THERE ARE TWO KINDS OF RIDERS: THOSE THAT HAVE CRASHED, AND THOSE THAT ARE GOING TO CRASH.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Quote Originally Posted by IT WASN'T ME! View Post
    I just changed the oil in my 07 gs 500f. I drained and dumped the crank case oil, all looked normal. I then changed out the filter (not a spin-on). When I dumped the oil from the filter I noticed in the afternoon sunlight that it had a matalic sheen to it. I have never seen this before, could it be normal, coming from the dirty side of the filter, or should I be concerned? The bike runs fine, no problems. Yet. It has 8000mi on it.
    It could be normal. There are a lot of parts on a motorcycle that share oil that aren't shared in a car. On your bike both the clutch and the transmission share the engine oil. The clutch is a series of metal plates stacked alternating with a series of semi metalic plates (material like on brake pads). These parts wear and the wear products are carried away by the oil and captured in the filter. I would guess this is what you're seeing. (silver or grey in color)

s

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned, I'd be happy! Looks like your filter is working well, and catching detritus.
    Thanks Barn, that's what I was hoping to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by RYBO View Post
    It could be normal. There are a lot of parts on a motorcycle that share oil that aren't shared in a car. On your bike both the clutch and the transmission share the engine oil. The clutch is a series of metal plates stacked alternating with a series of semi metalic plates (material like on brake pads). These parts wear and the wear products are carried away by the oil and captured in the filter. I would guess this is what you're seeing. (silver or grey in color)

s
    Yes RYBO, kind of a silvery-gray color. I may have only noticed it this time because of the late afternoon sun that hit it as I dumped it, but I had never noticed it before.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

I would say it's nothing to worry about then. It is most likely small wear particles from the clutch and completely normal.

Your good man that's normal, you probley would have never noticed it if you would have had less light.
    When in doubt...Pull it out.

You've changed your oil a couple of times since you first got the bike, right? If so, you're fine.
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    You've changed your oil a couple of times since you first got the bike, right? If so, you're fine.
    Yes, 4th oil change. I rode today and she ran great, 85-90 mph at times. I had to keep slowing down because my speed kept creeping up. Thanks to everyone for your responses.