Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need new tires...what do I pick?

Question Need new tires...what do I pick?

Spring!! Time to put on the miles!!

Looked at my tires the other day, and I'm fast creeping up on my wear bars. Got a bit over 6K miles on these stock tires, with mostly commuting, some weekend canyons, and 2 track days. They are Dunlop Qualifiers (I think and I am too lazy to walk out to the bike right now). I've liked them ok...they were my first real sport tire, so I can't really compare them to anything. The only times I've felt loss of traction are running at full pressure on the track (i am idiot), and hitting those tar snake thingies in the mountains.

I had my heart set on Pilot Powers, just because I had read a good review about them a few years ago, and this is the first bike I've owned with wide enough wheels for the sizes offered. But then this morning, I read a mediocre review, and now I am conflicted.

Obviously, I'm not expecting any kind of consensus on "best tire"...but here's what I want:
    -Moderate longevity. I've read of people getting 2K on Pilot Powers. Drat! I don't want to be buying tires every six weeks. If I didn't get 5K out of a tire, I'd be pissed.
    -Sticky enough to do novice-speed trackdays and save me when I go into Rist Canyon corners a bit hot.

I'm almost tempted to put on a sport touring tire.

Anyone have or know of like a chart, showing popular brands/models, their prices, intended uses, expected life?

Re: Need new tires...what do I pick?

Pilot Powers, grip like your on rails and give lot-o-confidence.

You cannot go wrong with the Michiliene Man!
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

I don't know of any comparison charts, but found a review website...http://motorcycletirereviews.com/tires.html and then found a discount sport tour tire website...http://www.sporttour.com/tires/motorcycle.htm

I like the Avon ST Storms. I've ridden with them everywhere, including the track. But, take a look at all the sport touring tires and take your pick. The second website also offers a description of all the tires they have available.

Oh and Gary (DuckSTer) also uses the Storms, as well as all the Ducati guys on his forum.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sky_blue View Post
    I'm almost tempted to put on a sport touring tire.
    Something like the Pilot Road 2 dual compound tire might be good for what you describe. They're harder than the Pilot Power in the center but have the Pilot Power compound on the edges. I'm going to be putting a set on the VFR soon. They're new and a little pricey but I've heard good stories on longevity and stickiness from people who have them.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Went through the same evaluation process over the last few weeks.
    Decided to go with Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's, picking them up today.
    I'll let you know how they perform after I get a couple miles on them.

2CT's they are absolutely wonderful on grip and the wear is decent.

I am on M3's right now and I am not impressed. I take it alot easier on them because they just feel like a tire, I am not feeling the stick I like. Will be replacing them this summer with another set of 2CT's
    98 VFR 800 (Old faithful)
    06 Sprint ST 1050 (Sexual Chocolate)

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    2CT's they are absolutely wonderful on grip and the wear is decent.

I am on M3's right now and I am not impressed. I take it alot easier on them because they just feel like a tire, I am not feeling the stick I like. Will be replacing them this summer with another set of 2CT's

+1 for Michelin 2CT's. For street riding, thats the only rubber I use. Head up to Faster Motosports and see what they can do for you. Or contact the Michelin reps directly at Vanmar Racing.

Faster: 303-825-0975
    Michelin: 303-944-0334
    Casey D

With these dual compound tires (I really like the the idea of them) does anyone say they can feel the difference in the compounds as they lean the bike over? Like if you are leaned over half way, would you be on the two different surfaces? Or does the compound change gradually?

Quote Originally Posted by dragos13 View Post
    +1 for Michelin 2CT's. For street riding, thats the only rubber I use. Head up to Faster Motosports and see what they can do for you. Or contact the Michelin reps directly at Vanmar Racing.
    Did you guys even read her post? The 2CTs are awesome tires (I use them on the Gixxer) but they are not the fit for her requirements, primarily longevity. The Road 2's sound like the fit to me.

Dirk

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

With these dual compound tires (I really like the the idea of them) does anyone say they can feel the difference in the compounds as they lean the bike over? Like if you are leaned over half way, would you be on the two different surfaces? Or does the compound change gradually?
    If you are on both compounds then your lean isn't drastic enough to cause an upset. On the street thats no biggy. The softer compound on the walls just gives you a faster heating cycle so the walls temp will be hotter and sticker than the middle, which you want. Being on both compounds is not a far enough lean to upset anything...You will not feel it. But you will feel the grip, which on 2CT is awesome.

I have never noticed that transition. It's at a pretty high angle when you go from center to edge compound, so you're not putting a lot of lateral force on them at the transition.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Did you guys even read her post? The 2CTs are awesome tires (I use them on the Gixxer) but they are not the fit for her requirements, primarily longevity. The Road 2's sound like the fit to me.

Dirk
    She ran Qualifiers......Not 2CT she just heard a review about them. The 2CT will last longer than the Powers because the middle will wear slowly and I have friends that pull 3 full track days on them before the walls get to thin so for the streets they will do great

I may put the pilot road 2's on my FZ1 if they are really this good. I had pilot powers on my FZ6 and loved them. My Pilot Road 1's are not too bad for being a stock rubber.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Quote Originally Posted by VFR View Post
    The 2CT will last longer than the Powers because the middle will wear slowly and I have friends that pull 3 full track days on them before the walls get to thin so for the streets they will do great
    The 2CT center is like the Power. The edges are softer than the Power. So, for commuting, the 2CT will be no better than the Power. The Road 2 has a harder center and a Power-like compound on the edges- best of both worlds.

Dirk

--Thomas Jefferson

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

The Storms are the same way and I've put about 8000 miles each time I've gone through a set. Jen, you've seen how I ride, so you know the kind of grip they have. I've never felt squeemish in turns...always felt full grip and lots of confidence with them.

Of course, I'm not trying to convince you of anything;-)
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

The SV guys rave about the Conti Road Attacks, but then again the SV is 30 ponies down on you Arr Arr. I think I'm going that route when I make the swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rednarb View Post
    The SV guys rave about the Conti Road Attacks, but then again the SV is 30 ponies down on you Arr Arr. I think I'm going that route when I make the swap.
    I had a set on my Triumph and had no problems with them. Will probably put a set on the 14 this spring.

Reports I've seen routinely put the mileage for road attacks on 5K+

I've heard 3K'sh for the sport attacks, but they are much softer.

Plus, you can buy them on Amazon!
    Last edited by salsashark; Thu Mar 20th, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

diablo rosso
    http://www.myspace.com/1990crxdx

719-465-9547--give me a call if your going on a ride. i'll be there.

2003 fireblade
    -frame sliders
    -gpr damper
    -BMC air filter
    -arata full titanium exhaust
    -teknic freestyle camo jacket
    -teknic smt gloves

WANT:shorty levers, 520 coversion/gear change, ss/kevlar brake lines, fender elim/hotbodies undertail, PCIIIr, zero gravity dub. bub, slipper clutch

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

I have 2CT's and I'm not impressed. The new Brigestone BT002 Race/Streets are my new found friend
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Almost went with the Rosso's but plan to track these wheels for a couple outings.
    Figured the dual compound on the Diablo III's would give better performance.
    By summer I'm hoping to have another set of wheels and switch between them for track/road riding.

Interested in hearing how you like the Rossos, post up when you get some miles on them.

THe first set of PP's I had saw over 6k miles on them.... defiantely worth it

2CT's are next!

I just got pilot powers for my r6.. Now if i could find someone to mount them..

Quote Originally Posted by highpsi03 View Post
    I just got pilot powers for my r6.. Now if i could find someone to mount them..
    Call Faster Motosports 303-825-0975

Tell them you are a member of the CSC and get special discount! Best place in town, IMO!!!
    Casey D

I ran the Corsa 3s on the Buell a while back- Loved the grip, got 4K out of the set. The front was actually squared off when I took it off.

Getting another set in May :: chuckle ::

Stay away from Shinkos. I have a set on now. They are *almost* dead at 9700 miles, which is cool- but they are cracking in what little bit of tread they have left. Look dry-rotted, but considering the longest the bike has sat since I put those on is 2-3 weeks- I ain't buying it. Grip wasn't all that either, and the profile is all kinds of rounded- so they tun in slow.

Merlyn
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"