Thread: How to change the oil?

Account Deactivated at users request metalnicx's Avatar

How to change the oil?

Is there a how to for changing the oil & filter? So far I have the following...

1. Warm up the bike
    2. Unscrew the bolt and let the oil drain out
    3. Take off the oil filter
    4. Put on new oil filter (Do I need to put any greece on this, and how tight do I put it on?)
    5. Put bolt back on and fill up with oil

That's it right? I just called the dealer and they said it's $100 for an oil & filter change. WTF?

when installing the oil filer; dip your finger in the new oil, run it around the gasket to get it wet, screw it on snug with your hands.

careful not to overfill

what bike?
    RIP Sgt. Travis D. Pfister. 79-07 I miss you brother.

Sounds good to me, before you go taking your bike apart make sure you know if you bike requires any crush washers under the oil pulg or if the biks has any other filters or screen that should be cleaned out.
    For example on my Duc’s I have a crush washer under my oil plug (cost about 25 cents). I also have one on the side of the engine, the plug on the side of the engine also has a screen that should be checked when you chance your oil..
    Amy advice.. check your parts brake down.. hope I was of some help

O yea, and don’t forget to PROPERLY dispose of your oil..

Account Deactivated at users request metalnicx's Avatar
    Ok, thanks! It's a 2000 SV-650.

takes about 5 min to change the oil on a sv650....

BTW, mine has a crush washer.....

cake.

btw, i've got the manual on CD if you want a copy.

This is the reason i like this club...

Quote Originally Posted by Franks-Ducs
    me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! People don't know it yet, but I;m gonna ask some of the smart people on this board to help me keep my POS truck running for another year. (I dont know how to work on a 4x4)

Quote Originally Posted by kingnothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Franks-Ducs
    me too!!!!!!!!!!!!! People don't know it yet, but I;m gonna ask some of the smart people on this board to help me keep my POS truck running for another year. (I dont know how to work on a 4x4)
    i dont know much about 4X4's my self .. but if you put a V-twin in it you will be happy

Re: How to change the oil?

Quote Originally Posted by metalnicx
    Is there a how to for changing the oil & filter? So far I have the following...

1. Warm up the bike
    2. Unscrew the bolt and let the oil drain out
    3. Take off the oil filter
    4. Put on new oil filter (Do I need to put any greece on this, and how tight do I put it on?)
    5. Put bolt back on and fill up with oil

That's it right? I just called the dealer and they said it's $100 for an oil & filter change. WTF?
    Are you in the springs?
    If so I can help you do it

It really is only a 5min job and once you have done it once, you won't have a problem. Remember not to screw the filter on too tight, or it will be a bitch to get off next time.
    Also helps if you have a torque wrench so you get the drain bolt to the right ... ummmm 'tightness' for lack of a better word. I have seen people overtighten them and end up with a cracked oil pan when they try to get it off.

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin
    If you're not in the springs and up in the Denver area I can give you a hand.

Scott

another little tidbit - fill the new filter with oil before you install it. you may make a little mess if you have to tilt it to thread it on, but when you install a dry filter the motor runs w/o oil pressure for a while until the oil pump has filled the dry filter. filling it before installing cuts down on the "no oil pressure" time drastically.

G
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by The GECCO
    another little tidbit - fill the new filter with oil before you install it. you may make a little mess if you have to tilt it to thread it on, but when you install a dry filter the motor runs w/o oil pressure for a while until the oil pump has filled the dry filter. filling it before installing cuts down on the "no oil pressure" time drastically.

G
    i did not know that, that is a good tidbit, thanks

Jay
    Be safe.
    Be fun.
    Be free.

G
    I was going to throw that out too! Also some bikes nowadays are designed to drain all the oil while on the sidestand instead of being vertical on a stand, check your owners manual!
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com

Quote Originally Posted by wulf
    Service manual or owner's manual? I could use a copy of a service manual for an '01 SV650S.
    Dan

'00 R1

G
    Bart also showed me a trick when we put the oil in the GSXR. Basically, kinda like in the cooling system, air can prevent the fluid from flowing properly. I wasn't developing oil pressure (on a new motor, this is bad since you only have assembly lube in there to keep things from grinding) so we unscrewed the oil filter just until the gasket stopped pressing on the block. Started the motor, and waited for the oil to start coming out, then screwed it back on real fast. Bingo, got oil pressure and a filled filter. Didn't make too bad of a mess either...

Quote Originally Posted by dgoldan
    Quote Originally Posted by wulf
    Service manual or owner's manual? I could use a copy of a service manual for an '01 SV650S.
    service, owners, parts fiche, maintenance schedule, torque specs.

Gecco, good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by rforsythe

G
    Bart also showed me a trick when we put the oil in the GSXR. Basically, kinda like in the cooling system, air can prevent the fluid from flowing properly. I wasn't developing oil pressure (on a new motor, this is bad since you only have assembly lube in there to keep things from grinding) so we unscrewed the oil filter just until the gasket stopped pressing on the block. Started the motor, and waited for the oil to start coming out, then screwed it back on real fast. Bingo, got oil pressure and a filled filter. Didn't make too bad of a mess either...
    <Beavis voice> Hmmmm.....I'll be damned! </Beavis voice>

another good one
    The GECCO

You begin your riding career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.