Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Road condition around Estes?

Road condition around Estes?

I've never been up this time of year to Estes. What could I expect the roads to be like going up Peak to Peak through Estes and then down the back side through Rocky Mountain National park into Winter Park? Weather forecast for Estes on Friday is 35 degrees at 12 with a slight chance of rain. Doable with warm gear or will the roads be coated with ICE?

Re: Road condition around Estes?

Yeap. Could still be cold as hell this early in spring.

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    I've never been up this time of year to Estes. What could I expect the roads to be like going up Peak to Peak through Estes and then down the back side through Rocky Mountain National park into Winter Park? Weather forecast for Estes on Friday is 35 degrees at 12 with a slight chance of rain. Doable with warm gear or will the roads be coated with ICE?

Estes through Rocky Mountain National Park to Winter Park would take you over Trail Ridge Road. Trail Ridge is closed until spring. Thats one of our favorite rides in the summer.

Gold Member Yearly Supporter mtnairlover's Avatar

Hey Toby, ya can't get past RMNP, cuz Trail Ridge Road is closed until Memorial Day weekend. If you wanted to try and get over to the other side of the divide, you'd have to go up Poudre Canyon over Cameron Pass and down to Walden. It's gonna be very chilly, though.

I took a peek at the forecast for Estes on Saturday and the highs are supposed to be in the lower 50's. I'm thinking about riding on Saturday if ya wanna PM me, or call if ya still got my number. I was thinking of asking a few others...not sure though...kinda waiting to see if the weather sticks for Saturday.
    ...ready to take on the world...one canyon at a time...

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Oh and yeah...hwy7 up to Estes is free and clear until you get to St. Catherine's (that old church about 5 miles out of Estes) and then you get gravel in the middle and along the edges. I haven't been up P2P yet.

Check out my WordPress blog -- Exploring Colorado’s 25 Scenic and Historic Byways: A two-year tour by sport bike, auto and 4×4 @ mtnairloversview

Like my Facebook page @ Colorado Scenic Byways Tours to learn more about the byways

Thanks all
    CLOSED Damn I kinda figured but looking at National Park info didn't see closure warnings. I guess my first time through the park wont be on Friday.

Hey Cathy,
    I'm good with Cold I just wanted to avoid massive patches of ice. If there are passes that are void of ice that's where I'm headed. I'm not sure about Poudre Canyon though. I will be with a newb and the miles might be a bit much. I wish I could do a saturday run but my only day off will be on Friday. Looking forward to riding with you again soon!

Geriatric Curmudgeon Lifetime Supporter Nick_Ninja's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by noskills View Post
    I was thinking about this post yesterday while navigating various parts of the P2P and four other canyons. Rider beware is about all that needs to be said. However there are so many other conditional aspects that could be offered up to your question.
    1. When riding in the mountains, it is very important to read the weather report prior to take-off.
    2. Watch the weather when on the road. Understand which direction the weather is going to come from during the day (up slope or down slope)
    3. Understand the difference between sand and mag chloride and the traction differences.
    4. Realize that north facing slopes retain the snow, ice, sand, and lower temperatures. This is extremely important when cranking through corners that reside in these areas. The road surface temperature is lower in these areas and the road crews tend to have to dump lots-o deicing and traction control product in these areas.
    5. When riding in sand laden section of highway most of the time if you take the outside line on curves the line will be cleaner and more forgiving as this is the weighted side of the cages and truck as they negotiate the curve. This added weight assists in the removal of sand and debris basically cleaning the road.
    Riding season is here. Have FUN --- BE CAREFUL --- and THINK!
    Last edited by Nick_Ninja; Sun Mar 30th, 2008 at 09:53 AM.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

"It's hard to play the blues when nuthin's really wrong."~~ ---- Joe Walsh 2012

I.B.A. # 14748 124@X - YRMV

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Ninja View Post
    1. When riding in sand laden section of highway most of the time if you take the outside line on curves the line will be cleaner and more forgiving as this is the weighted side of the cages and truck as they negotiate the curve. This added weight assists in the removal of sand and debris basically cleaning the road.
    Good point thanks!

I went up 36 today with my girl. we stopped in lyons and i said it might suck to go up all the way. IT DID. But the road was fine. only a couple of gravel spots and not much else bad. I promised her to do something nice but i was the only bike i saw until we came down around 3pm. There was MAD snow and it was 45-50 degrees up there when we got there at 2pm.
    It sucked for me. She had the benifit of an undertail exhaust.
    I knew that was a summer trip but busted it out anyways for the hell of it. Once we got half way up there it sucked but you get that point of no return mentality.
    Hell, sometimes its that cold in nederland in July in the late afternoon.

My advice.....
    dont do it. it was retarded.
    wait until summer time.
    5280 Supermoto #117
    Skull Candy, FMF Intl, Dragon, Epic Motosports, Michelin, Ogio

Colorado Supermoto Video

Quote Originally Posted by jsears1864 View Post
    I went up 36 today with my girl. we stopped in lyons and i said it might suck to go up all the way. IT DID. But the road was fine. only a couple of gravel spots and not much else bad. I promised her to do something nice but i was the only bike i saw until we came down around 3pm. There was MAD snow and it was 45-50 degrees up there when we got there at 2pm.
    It sucked for me. She had the benifit of an undertail exhaust.
    I knew that was a summer trip but busted it out anyways for the hell of it. Once we got half way up there it sucked but you get that point of no return mentality.
    Hell, sometimes its that cold in nederland in July in the late afternoon.

My advice.....
    dont do it. it was retarded.
    wait until summer time.
    One less vehicle to pass on my way there..........................

Summer is a long way off buddy.
    "Its all about the motorbikes, always has been and always will be.". ~~ Ewan McGregor 2007

If you've been in Colorado for a while and have driven, hiked, biked, etc in the mountains, then you can get pretty darn close to gaging the conditions.

When I went up hwy7 last weekend, Sean and I stopped at the hwy72 junction and turned around. The wind up there was getting fiercer and I knew that right around the Mt Meeker area, the clouds would be blowing and snow would be squalling. That's the way the mountains are. On my way home after coming back down hwy7, I decided to go up hwy36 to Estes and down hwy34. The weather was fine until I got to the crest where the road begins to drop down into Estes. Over Estes were thick clouds that had come down from all around the mountains and blowing snow. But, only over Estes. I could tell that once I got around the Eastern edge of Estes to hwy34, I'd be fine again...so, that's the route I took and I did not hit very wet pavement.

Anyhoo, I guess the point is...know what you are dealing with and don't take chances if you don't feel comfortable.

cathy you riding today
    Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

I'm pondering it. Not sure...and if I do, it'll be maybe around noon'ish. Gotta feed the late risers in my house first.

Welp, as of today, here's what it looks like...

Estes Visitor's Center

And I went up hwy7 today even though the clouds were being blown down from Mt. Meeker and Longs Peak. I figured I'd turn around if there was snow blowing along with those clouds...but, there wasn't...

Like I keep saying, the 5 miles between Estes and that historical landmark, St. Catherine's church has gravel along the middle line and along the edges, and a few places with it in the middle of the road, but nothing that freaks ya out as long as you take it easy along that stretch. It was a whole lot chillier up there, though. It felt like a desert down here in comparison. I'd say maybe around 30 degrees in the open spots along the peaks. But, still well worth the trip...mhmm.

The sun sure came in handy today. Oh and if I passed anyone along the way...howdy!

We opted out of hwy7, just didn't look good. But hwy34 and hwy36 were B E A U tiful. Sorry we kept missing you Cathy. I tried to get moving earlier but couldn't. It was funny seeing you twice at hwy34 and Taft . We'll have to try it again.

How do ya like that timing? Couldn't have been more choreographed than that. Bet we'll never do that again either...just freaky, huh?

Yep, I liked my ride too, especially the downhill of hwy7. Sad thing today, though, was getting stuck behind a dual sport on some of the upper curves that I like. I'm just not one for blasting past people, but he did let me by when we both had an opening.

Anyhoo, if the weather does what the long range says it will, then look for a post in the Northern forum for a ride next Sunday...keeping fingers crossed and nothing else being scheduled between now and then...

oh we had no problem passing people. Traffic was a little heavy going up 34. But 36, people moved out of the way and we had the whole road to our selfs. It was great

No problems?? You were the one cutting cars and flipping them off passing them hahaha.. j/k There was some traffic but we got smart and passed in the corners!

Quote Originally Posted by chad23 View Post
    oh we had no problem passing people. Traffic was a little heavy going up 34. But 36, people moved out of the way and we had the whole road to our selfs. It was great

how would you know you dont have mirrors and I was following you. I had fun today honda maybe we'll head your way and ride......NOT. Let me know when you and your fam. are going north, and let me know what you think about utah

No mirrors -- passing in the corners ------- what tools

One less vehicle to pass on my way there..........................

Summer is a long way off buddy.

really??? cause its already the second week in april and it gets pretty summer like around here in may.

and you can also pass me all you want. cause then i get to pass you and the sheriff that pulled you over. i don't need anymore shit on my driving record. I'll let your hubris deal with the fives................
    Last edited by jsears1864; Sun Apr 6th, 2008 at 05:16 AM.
    5280 Supermoto #117
    Skull Candy, FMF Intl, Dragon, Epic Motosports, Michelin, Ogio

Colorado Supermoto Video

[quote=chad23;let me know what you think about utah[/quote]

i talked to the women last night about utah and she said yes!! wow that easier than i thougth haha.. So its a go for me just need to get some mula

So I road down hwy 7 to Lyons from 72 (peak to peak) yesterday and it was awesome. I dont know about the area west and towards Estes on hwy 7 but I doubt it is that bad. Thinking of doing a real slow run up left hand to ward -> peak to peak -> 7-> lyons and back today. If that is what I do I will post up conditions for left hand later.
    rideco

No mirrors -- passing in the corners ------- what tools
    Takes one to know one TOOL
    There jokes.
    jok·ing.
    –noun 1.something said or done to provoke laughter or cause amusement, as a witticism, a short and amusing anecdote, or a prankish act: He tells very funny jokes. She played a joke on him. 2.something that is amusing or ridiculous, esp. because of being ludicrously inadequate or a sham; a thing, situation, or person laughed at rather than taken seriously; farce: Their pretense of generosity is a joke. An officer with no ability to command is a joke. 3.a matter that need not be taken very seriously; trifling matter: The loss was no joke. 4.something that does not present the expected challenge; something very easy: The test was a joke for the whole class. 5.practical joke. –verb (used without object) 6.to speak or act in a playful or merry way: He was always joking with us. 7.to say something in fun or teasing rather than in earnest; be facetious: He didn't really mean it, he was only joking. –verb (used with object) 8.to subject to jokes; make fun of; tease. 9.to obtain by joking: The comedian joked coins from the audience.
    [Origin: 1660–70; < L jocus jest]

—Related forms jokeless, adjective
    jok·ing·ly, adverb

—Synonyms 1. wisecrack, gag, jape, prank, quip, quirk, sally, raillery. Joke, jest refer to something said (or done) in sport, or to cause amusement. A joke is something said or done for the sake of exciting laughter; it may be raillery, a witty remark, or a prank or trick: to tell a joke. Jest, today a more formal word, nearly always refers to joking language and is more suggestive of scoffing or ridicule than is joke: to speak in jest.

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
    Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006.