Thread: 600 mile tune-up

600 mile tune-up

I've had the CBR for about a month now and I've already hit the 600 mile mark, so it's time to get the initial tune-up done on it. I called Sun this morning (where I bought it) and asked them for the price, which was only $185, then I asked if I could bring it in tomorrow, and of course the answer was "no way, first opening is not until Tuesday". So, being used to the fact that I was always able to just drop my bike off at Colorado Powersports any morning and get it back the same day, I was stupid enough to ASSume that Sun woudl do the same. But I mean, hey, they told me "you get priority service when you buy the bike from us", which I thought was pretty cool, but obviously it's just a crock of shit.

So, I call CO Powersports Denver and the guy tells me it's gonna be $285 for the 600 mile service. WTF? I ask him, and he tries to explain to me that Sun isn't going to do the amount of work that they will do. and there's no way $185 is a good deal. However, they'll take the bike tomorrow and have it done by the end of the day. That easy.

So, I call Fay Myers to start price shopping. Fay says $182.50

Then I call Aurora Honda, and they'll do it for $120 + parts

Then I call CO powersports Boulder and he says they'll do it for about $250, however the boulder store is an actual honda dealer so there's probably more guys there that know more about the Hondas than at the Denver one, but of course no guarantee there.

Now, after all that calling, either CO powersports locations will do the tune up tomorrow and have it done tomorrow. Fay said they could have it done by Friday if I dropped it off tomorrow. Then Sun says I can get it done on Tuesday next week.

So, what am I missing here? the guys at both CO powersports locations separately explained to me exact same thing, that the other dealers are going to do the bare minimum (what the book says) whereas they're going to do a lot more than that. Do I believe it? What does everyone else think? Should I just give in and take it to Sun? or should I pay more and go somewhere else? (keep in mind I'd rather save the cash...)

Just the inconvenience of taking it to Fay and picking it back up (living on the north side) is inconvenient and takes time and lots of expensive gas, whether I have someone come with me, or I just throw it in the back of the truck and take it myself. I'm probably looking at 100 miles for the whole ordeal, which in my truck is at least $20 in gas w/o the bike in the back...
    Last edited by Ricky; Wed Apr 2nd, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Re: 600 mile tune-up

Dude... Don't take it in for that homie. The bike is brand new, the last thing you need is a "tune-up". Just swap the oil, and check the various nuts and bolts to make sure they're torqued properly. Check your chain tension... air pressure... the usual stuff.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

^^^+1

The owner's manual should have a chart indicated mileage and service needed at each interval.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

I figured the same thing. I'm more than capable of doing most of the stuff listed, however one thing that copowersports said is that they sync the throttle bodies. I said the same thing to myself though. "Do I really need to take it in? It's brand new!". I should be getting a set of stands for it via UPS today, so I really could do it myself.

Thanks guys for the responses. Maybe I'll just say fuckit and do it all myself, and if I have questions that's what the forum is for! lol
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Haha... Yeah. They're gonna sync your checkbook to the tune of $xxx.00 less than you had before.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Webman View Post
    Thanks guys for the responses. Maybe I'll just say fuckit and do it all myself, and if I have questions that's what the forum is for! lol
    Yeah, the first service is basically an oil change and checking a few things. Just be sure to document your work if you do it yourself so you won't have any warranty issues down the road if you need to use it.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

FWIW I will parrot the same thing... do it yourself. If not... make freaking sure you at least take it someone you would personally trust (or get a ton of recommendations on). And really, even synching TBs is cake
    --- Jack

Don't ever confuse having a career with having a life.

In case you ever have any warranty issues and you do the service yourself, make sure you document everything and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS for oil, filter and anything else you might need.

Very good stuff to know. I'm going to go buy the stuff today, and start on it after I get the stands. I will be sure to save all the documentation and receipts and stuff.

The only thing that the manual states needs to be checked/adjusted by a "qualified" Honda dealer is the "exhaust gas control valve cable", which I know where it is and I could make sure it's secure... Guess it's time to order a service manual (since for some reason dealers don't keep them in stock around here)
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

to a dealership: 600 mi tune up = free money
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Gold Member Yearly Supporter Sully's Avatar

dealership = stealership...
    Glitter Factory Racing
    MRA #415

Sol Performance - Pirelli Tires