Thread: Buell by Harley

Talking Buell by Harley

Does anyone here have a Buell bike sold by Harley Davidson? I saw reveiws and they were positive but are they that good of a bike and the price worth?

Re: Buell by Harley

Unless you buy a used one from a private party, they were/are sold by HD.
    You must be fast, 'cuz I was haulin' ass when I passed you.

Wade
    '01 TL1000S

Another version for TL is "sounds like Thunder - fast like Lightning"
    Imagine it was said by a Hardley rider!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nissn1 View Post
    theres no soul in R1's only r-soles

Which Buell are you talking about? 1125R, XB12, XB9, Blast?
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by r6srider View Post
    Does anyone here have a Buell bike sold by Harley Davidson? I saw reveiws and they were positive but are they that good of a bike and the price worth?
    I ride an '06 XB12R, and Bueller on here use to race one, I believe.

They are excellent bikes, within their design. They are *not* fast. Stock, mine is gear limited to 136. The price you pay for a belt drive. What you do get is world class handling, interesting tech (like fuel in the frame and engine oil stored in the swingarm.) Every test I've ever seen puts the Buell ahead of anything you can buy for less than $30K in the corners.

The numbers are... less than staggering. 103 HP and about 90 ft/lbs - from a 1203cc v-twin. An that's at sea level. What the numbers won't show you is the gobs and piles of power at around-town rpms, and a torque curve that makes the bike feel like it pulls HARD from idle to redline. It's a far cry from I4s, were you have all kinds of horsepower, but you have to ring the bike's neck to get at them. I've ridden both, and I prefer twins.

The handling is huge. It's why I bought the bike, and in fact one of the big reasons *anyone* buys the things. I constantly do things on the XB that I would never even consider on the CBR600 I use to ride- and even at that, the one constant in my life is hearing the bike whispering "pussy!" every time I brake going into a corner. You won't push a Buell to IT's limit on the street, unless your last name is Mladin or Rossi or something, and you have a death wish.

From the street hooligan point of view, the XB is a treat. A 52" wheelbase, lots of torque, and about 400 pounds (dry) mean wheelies are not only easy, they are *unavoidable*. Stoppies are easy too- even with that weird front brake.

The other thing I really like about them is the rarity. Not everyone rides a Buell. Hell, not everyone recognizes a Buell! I took all the badging off mine, and I get asked "What *is* that thing?" quite a bit. It turns heads, even stock- and some of the customs....

Buell trivia: The XB series are actually designed for wheelies. The steering head bearings are specifically designed to take the impact of coming down suddenly from the balance point, and one of the advantages of having the oil in the swingarm is that the oil pump pickup is always submerged- no matter HOW far the front tire is from the ground! The supposed reason for this is very simple- Eric Buell likes to do wheelies. So his bikes have design features to make them easier on the bike.

Last point in favor of the Buell- Gas mileage. I average about 55 mpg on mine. I don't ride to max out my mileage, I ride to max out my smile. If you keep your hand out of the throttle, and maintain a steady highway-legal speed, I've heard people talk about 65+ Maybe I'll try it some time. As it is, I get better mileage than some of my friends on 150cc scooters. I'll take that!.

Anyway, that's a little of the good stuff about Buells. I am quite sure there will be plenty of posts about thier shortcomings- and, like anything else, they do have a few.

Merlyn
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Wow Merlyn,
    Nice post about the Buell. Seriously!

David
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Merlin, I am so glad you like to type

Yeah, what he said.

It isn't the "cool" bike around the sportbike scene, but I loved mine.
    They aren't for everyone but Buell riders in general are very happy with the XB's, not always so happy with earlier "tubers".

Right-Wing Nut-Job DavidofColorado's Avatar

Maybe you can show some pictures for us? They seam to be the best kept secret in the MC world. But Vickers had one the other day.
    "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by merlin View Post
    <snip> I don't ride to max out my mileage, I ride to max out my smile. </snip>
    and this is why I'm strongly considering an 1125R
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

I almost bought one when I bought my sv. I love naked bikes and I think they are the sexiest naked bike, maybe even sexier than the speed triple. I like weird vehicles though . The 1125r might be my next bike!

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
    It isn't the "cool" bike around the sportbike scene, but I loved mine.
    It's a shame the way the Buell gets shit from the Sport Riders for being a Hardly and the Hardly guys for being a sport bike.

Screw them all, it's on my list of bikes to own someday.

I have heard that the latest incarnation isn't getting the greatest reviews but a lot of prior models have been well received by the press.
    Last edited by Sortarican; Thu Apr 3rd, 2008 at 10:51 AM.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

cheggit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Dq1IJZR9M

Certified 100% Rick Astley free