Thread: HELP :) Battery should be fine but won't push start, car charging?

HELP :) Battery should be fine but won't push start, car charging?

Well, I just replaced the batter last summer so I know it should be good, I checked the fluids the other day and they were pretty low so I filled er up with distilled water and put on the trickle charger.

Buuut, I go to try and push start it with Linds' help but it just won't turn over, it did right before I went to Europe end of February but how can I get the battery charged up enough to either have enough juice for the starter or to push start so it can get up to full capacity?

A. I've heard but haven't searched the forums about hooking it up to a car battery but obviously not starting the car as it's battery is far bigger voltage wise and would fry my bike, does that work?

B. Can I buy a charger that takes it up to full

C. Go down a huge freakin hill and hope it starts up and if not have to get it back up said hill to the house

D. Bite the bullet and buy a new battery?
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

Re: HELP :) Battery should be fine but won't push start, car charging?

You can jump the bike from a car, but like you said, make sure the car is off when you do it. I'd recommend a trickle charger. If you're not familiar, you plug it into the wall and then into the battery and it keeps a low level charge running through the battery so that it doesn't loose its juice from sitting a lot. They're usually like 50 bucks
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Yeah, I have a trickle charger now but it's like a lil 12V 1Amp one that just keeps the level in it, I just need to get it up to a level where it will start

So tonight I'll hook it up to the car and attempt to start it assuming its just a battery issue and from now on ride it more and I've never had to keep it on a charger as I ride in the winter but this past 5 months has seen me on the moto not too often.
    It's a celebration bitches!!! - RIP 502

Motos:
    2003 SV1000N - Dual Yosh RS3 CF Exhaust ••••• 09' Aprilia SR50 (Wife's) ••••• 93' ZX-11 - Sold after 43k Miles
    Cars:
    08' Audi S5 6MT •••• 10' VW TDI Cup Edition 6MT •••• 02' VW TDI Beetle 5MT •••• 07' Ford Explorer

my trickle charger was about 20$ from one of the car parts stores. just tell them a motorcycle one so they get you the right sh*t.

you can also run the car to charge up the battery on your bike just make sure either or.. you never have them both on at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)

Quote Originally Posted by jimwallace View Post
    you can also run the car to charge up the battery on your bike just make sure either or.. you never have them both on at the same time.
    Why is it bad to have the car running for a motorcycle battery jump?
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

the reason you dont want one running the same time as the other or to jump start off a different car is because of the amperage difference between the two vehicles. motorcycles run off a far lower amperage so jumping off a running car can cause surges that will fry stuff. Now thats not to say you wont get away with it sometimes, before i knew much about motorcycles i would jump them off running vehicles the first time i had damage it was just the headlamps on an 89 fzr, i fried both of them and then i switched to high beams and jumped again and fried both of those fortunately that was all that happened to the bike, but i never put 2 and 2 together until i jumped my 87 fzr and fried the entire wiring harness. so needless to say better safe than sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    and you did it!

the rest of us were just thinking it.

http://www.myspace.com/adrenalineaddiction24

01 zx9r
    99 r6 (race bike)