Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advise on turns/bends?

Re: Advise on turns/bends?

read Total Control by Lee Parks

Newbie...Again!!! Lifetime Supporter ZX Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ott View Post
    Anyone know the cross streets of this location? I have no clue what mall by 470 except southlands but that is on smoky hill. Would love to go there and practice since I also am the same way and would like to get a feel for my bike.
    Cross streets are Colfax and Quail st (just west of Kipling).
    Turn north from Colfax on Quail and you can't miss it.
    It's huge parking lot that used to be Target store or something like that.
    2010 ZX-10R

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Yep, come up to IMI (small track in Dacono; exit 232 on I-25, one exit past Hwy 7 going to Lafayette) on Saturday or Sunday and hook up with us. It's a good place to practice your technique without the concerns of the street. Lots of experienced riders there who are willing to help you. Just ask.

Dirk
    Is this invite good anytime? I mean do you guys do this every weekend or on a schedule? I just recently got a new bike and I've been wanting to get it to the track and learn how to handle it a bit better. Do I need any gear besides a helmet and a street jacket/gloves? I'd like to have full leathers, but that's expensive and I don't think I'll be pushing it that fast on my first time at the track, learning the bike. How much does it cost? What time?
    Thanks!

I know that supertarget parking lot - I'm heading out there to practice a bit! As long as we're on the subject, I get a little hesitant going around corners when riding around town. I used to race autocross in cars, and got in the habit of braking until about 1/3 the way into a corner, and then accelerating out of it. That doesn't work so well on bikes!
    1) So I'm having a hard time judging speed before I go into a turn, entering either too fast or too slow. I'm not used to judging my speed before I enter a turn. Alot of the speed hesitation has to do with the next one:
    2) I'm nervous about light sand/gravel, and the markings painted on the road. They're slippery! I've had a couple instances going through curves in the mountains, when my back tire jumped, slipping on the painted centerline. Funny thing about this bike, you don't feel it when it's loose, you feel it when it grabs again! Anyway, it's made me nervous going through regular corners around town. A friend told me some time ago not to worry about the light sand - to just power through it. Any suggestions?

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvtummies View Post
    Is this invite good anytime? I mean do you guys do this every weekend or on a schedule? I just recently got a new bike and I've been wanting to get it to the track and learn how to handle it a bit better. Do I need any gear besides a helmet and a street jacket/gloves? I'd like to have full leathers, but that's expensive and I don't think I'll be pushing it that fast on my first time at the track, learning the bike. How much does it cost? What time?
    Thanks!
    There will probably be some people there tomorrow if the weather is ok. Several of us "regulars" will be racing in Pueblo tomorrow and Sunday. But there's a pretty good chance we'll be out there next Saturday. I try to get there around 9am before it gets too busy. It's $35/day and all that's required is a helmet and jacket.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Viffer Lifetime Supporter dirkterrell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvtummies View Post
    2) I'm nervous about light sand/gravel, and the markings painted on the road. They're slippery! I've had a couple instances going through curves in the mountains, when my back tire jumped, slipping on the painted centerline. Funny thing about this bike, you don't feel it when it's loose, you feel it when it grabs again! Anyway, it's made me nervous going through regular corners around town. A friend told me some time ago not to worry about the light sand - to just power through it. Any suggestions?
    Well, your tire shouldn't be on the centerline. That's a sign that you're taking the wrong line through the turn. I think you'll find that time spent at the track will enable you to improve your street riding considerably.

Dirk
    Formerly MRA #211 - High Precision Racing

"A strict observance of the written laws is doubtless one of the high duties of a good citizen, but it is not the highest. The laws of necessity, of self- preservation, of saving our country when in danger, are of higher obligation. To lose our country by a scrupulous adherence to written law would be to lose the law itself, with life, liberty, property, and all those who are enjoying them with us; thus absurdly sacrificing the end to the means."

--Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dirkterrell View Post
    Well, your tire shouldn't be on the centerline. That's a sign that you're taking the wrong line through the turn. I think you'll find that time spent at the track will enable you to improve your street riding considerably.

Dirk
    LOL - I know it shouldn't! Hence my needing to practice more! That was my first 'real' ride on the new bike, and I came into the turn hot and hit the centerline. You can understand why I'm nervous after finding myself in that predicament. I'm going to head over to that supertarget parking lot early this afternoon and check it out - maybe they're be others out there.

Hey there everyone, I'm new to sight and I just wanted to give some kudos to everyone on the advice. oh Thanks Mayhem for the advice on the rear tire slid on the down shift.

I just upgraded from a Suzuki gs500 to a GSXR 600 and it's whole different animal.

your welcome,,,and if any of you want to borrow the book called total control let me know and i will bring it to my coffee shop for you to pick up...it's a great book and i learned alot from it...so many things that i thought were right, were really all wrong and some were even opposite of what you might believe...like, one would think that, if your going into a right hand turn, that you would turn the front wheel right. well thats totally wrong. what you want to do is push slightly forward on your right grip which in turn causes the bike to dive right (inertia) and cruise thru the corner...and all that shit is in the book....definately worth the read....ride safe guys................
    Last edited by mayhem; Thu May 1st, 2008 at 07:58 PM.
    drop a gear and disappear....

Asshat Racing:Mra #228
    2002 r6 street,akrapovic slip-on,flush mounts,Ohlins steering dampener
    2000 r6 race (sold)

Hey all. I've gotten two practice sessions in out at the supertarget parking lot. What a GREAT location to pratice! It's got all the room you'll need! I've really learned how to throw my bike around and even managed to scrub the chicken strips off my tires! I practiced shifting my weight around, (still haven't gotten the dropping a knee thing - need a track for that!) Stopping fast (even got the back wheel off the ground in a sad looking stoppie or two!) and just manuevering the bike and learning what it can and can't do. I did manage to scrape my toes on the ground while going really fast in circles! But most importantly, I learned how to control the thing at low speeds - u-turns, corners, balance, etc. I'm soooo much more confident now knowing what my bike can do and how it behaves on the street. I'd reccomend that parking lot to anyone who wants to practice!

Anyone up for meeting up out there sometime to just screw around a bit?

@ mayhem - where's your coffee shop? I love coffee!
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"

westside in da spring.......1616 s. 8th street. the website is in my sig.....
    drop a gear and disappear....

Asshat Racing:Mra #228
    2002 r6 street,akrapovic slip-on,flush mounts,Ohlins steering dampener
    2000 r6 race (sold)

hey mayhem
    your website is broken. i do web design - want me to fix it?
    the photos page is working anyway - cool place. But you're all the way down in the springs.
    "I'm not listening.
    You keep talking.
    How weird is that?"