Thread: Headlight placement...

Headlight placement...

So, my antique of a bike is running better than ever, and it makes me want to make it better now. It is a naked bike, with no fairings on the front at all. I've been thinking of fabbing up a front fairing, to guide some of the wind up and over, at least if I tuck down(factory fairings are a RARE find).

My question is this: currently, my headlight pivots with the steering, but I don't really see many newer bikes with this feature. Is it better to have a fixed headlight, or a headlight that pivots?
    Your grammar makes my head hurt.

1994 YZF750R

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: Headlight placement...

For the most part, they're both the same IMHO. The only time a pivoting headlight might be better, is when you're going really really slow (too slow to counter-steer), and actually have to turn the handlebars... in this case, the headlight will be shining in the direction you're going, whereas a fixed headlight will have to catch up (however, a fixed headlight should illuminate enough to see where you're going anyway, just not as bright as the center of the beam).
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: Headlight placement...

Quote Originally Posted by Speedwagon View Post
    So, my antique of a bike is running better than ever, and it makes me want to make it better now. It is a naked bike, with no fairings on the front at all. I've been thinking of fabbing up a front fairing, to guide some of the wind up and over, at least if I tuck down(factory fairings are a RARE find).
    You may want to mount a little fly screen windshield. I've got them on my '79 and '80 X's and they actually do work if you get behind them (and they look good too IMHO).

I've build a frame and mounted a fixed fairing on my '81 X but this is a LOT of work.

Last edited by ChrisCBX; Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 06:36 AM.