Thread: Loud mufflers

Unhappy Loud mufflers

Is it true that Colorado just past a law for bikes to quiet down their mufflers? My friend told methat. Cars need to hear us coming is their a noise ordanance for bikes. For me being new at bikes I need all the noise I can get. Maybe a fog horn will do lol. What do most riders put on their bikes when they ride at night time for more visibility?

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: Loud mufflers

The city of Denver has a law targeting after-market pipes. I don't know the details & it doesn't concern me because I have the stock pipe on my bike. In fact, I like that my bike isn't annoying to my neighbors (in case I'm coming home late or leaving early).

Cars do not need to hear us coming - they need to see us coming. A loud exhaust isn't going to do squat for an idiot that's got his stereo blasting. Unfortunately we can't force them to see us, but if you're concerned about your own safety, be more attentive and aware of the drivers around you... Ride like you're INVISIBLE, not like you're invincible!

Read the sticky in this forum: Aftermarket Exhaust - Got one? Want one? Consider this...

Quote Originally Posted by r6srider View Post
    What do most riders put on their bikes when they ride at night time for more visibility?
    Lights
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Originally Posted by r6srider
    What do most riders put on their bikes when they ride at night time for more visibility?
    Originally Posted by spiderman
    Lights

oh yeah.... add more lights in an attention-getting manner!!!
    and burn 'em all of the time!

bus_henry (with those light-bazookas on-board...look at the avatar on the left)
    Last edited by towneh; Mon Apr 7th, 2008 at 12:06 PM. Reason: ref to avatar with light-bazookas above the wshield...
    "its boxy, its fast..."

iba#14410 -- 1kss, bbg, 50cc, 2kss, 3kss and b2b_insanity completed -- it has been 4 years.
    UPDATE bbg_insanity will run somewhere btwn APR-JUN 09

Resident Hater Site Admin Canuck's Avatar

The sound issue has already been discussed above. Also sound waves travels behind the moving bike, not infront of. The most effective way of grabbing attention towards other vehicles is visually and riding defensively.
    RIP Gene. You are a good friend that will be missed. I'm Gene Bazyl Bitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    The sound issue has already been discussed above. Also sound waves travels behind the moving bike, not infront of. The most effective way of grabbing attention towards other vehicles is visually and riding defensively.
    No doubt. I can't ever remember a time where a Harley rider went flying by me in my cage, and I heard him before he was right next to me. Especially with my stereo up. When the stereo in the car can easily exceed 100db, then there's no chance of me hearing any bike. As others said, assume you can't be seen. I also now have the habit of riding with my brights on during the day. And I recently converted the flushmount LED turn signals on my bike to be on all the time rather than just for the signal.
    2008 Honda CBR600RR - Graffiti
    2002 Yamaha WR250F

People hardly get get out of the way for fire trucks coming anymore. They have sirens (going over 100bd), air horns, lots-o-LED lights, and are bright red. So loud pipes would not really do much.
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)