Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any home wrenchers ever change a...

I'm pumped... Let's let the healing begin! Lifetime Supporter ~Barn~'s Avatar

Any home wrenchers ever change a...

... Coolant Temperature Sensor, on a 2.8 Audi/Dub 6-cyl?

If so, I want to pay you, to change mine.

Hallelujah, Holla back.
    ~Brandon~
    Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory - "Gemma"
    MV Agusta F3 800 - "Amy Lou"
    Rattan Fat Bear Plus - "Lynda"
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Re: Any home wrenchers ever change a...

And sorry for posting car tech in a 'bike tech" forum. I HAD NOWHERE ELSE TO TURN!!
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    I rarely think of motorcycles without a little yearning. They are about moving, and humans, I think, yearn to move – it’s in our cells, in our desires. We quiet our babies with cyclic movement, and we quiet ourselves by going.
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I bet Dick could do that for you.
    Motorcycle Roadracing Association #29
    President

MSF
    Rider Coach

AKA "Devaclis"

^^ Werd, Dick can do it.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

I'm sure he could, but I don't want to bug the guy, and would just rather see if somebody here wanted to do it. I've called Dick for stuff in the past, had some general questions and such, and to be honest, I never got many of my voicemails returned.

Anyway, if somebody here wants to make a few bucks doing this, showing me how, whatever, that's cool. I'd rather hook somebody up with $40, $50, $70, what-have-you, than take it somewhere; but I'm not opposed to that either.

From what I've read, it's not a super tricky job, but it sure is hell isn't anything I'm gonna be trying anytime soon! I need this to be fixed, in&out, and over with, not a project to cut my automotive teeth on.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

I remember the shock and strut ordeal on the camry

Tom
    '07 ZX-6R
    '12 1199 Panigale S

For real.

Those who forget history are doomed to blow-it with their A4.

That's what I've always said, anyway.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

AKA "Devaclis"

Do you have the new sensor B? I could change it for you but it would have to be after this weekend.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Not in hand, no. But I have found plenty of places to order it from. It's averageing to be about a $30.00 part, so I'm going to call a dealer now, and see what they want for one. If it's negligible, I'll just go pick one up.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Import Car Parts of Colorado actually has them for <$20, so I'll go get one this weekend, since they are only open till 5:00 on weekdays.

And if you're still down once we get into next week Dana, I'll take you up on the offer, and we'll coordinate. Am I going to have to buy coolant to refill the system with, or is this thing swapped out, w/out having to touch actual fluids?
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

AKA "Devaclis"

De do not need to drain the system but a certain amount of coolant will be lost. I would highly recommend a full flush tho.

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

I try to avoid getting involved with married women.
    Opps, thought the subject was home wreckers....nevermind.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

Barn,
    If you want it done this weekend let me know. I'll be working on bikes and the TB Sat. morning. Bring the sensor and I can swap it out, the only catch is any old coolant you will have to take to Checker (they take it for free) to dispose of properly. 20 minutes and a little teflon tape you should be good.

I like breakfast burrito's or chimi-changa's
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by Devaclis View Post
    De do not need to drain the system but a certain amount of coolant will be lost. I would highly recommend a full flush tho.
    Hmm... Well about 6 months ago I had my whole cooling system worked on. Got a new overflow res. (was cracked), a worn hose or 2 was replaced, and every clamp that was leaking was tightend or replaced. When this was done, I'm figuring they had to do a complete flush/fill. I don't know how you'd replace all those things, w/out draining the system.

But anyway, because it was so recent, I would really rather not have to do it all again, if it's avoidable.

Are you recommending it, just because of the volume of coolant that will be lost, or for another reason?
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    20 minutes and a little teflon tape you should be good.
    Sounds like a distinct possibility. Is the tape for insulating it somehow, after it's installed?

Quote Originally Posted by konichd View Post
    I like breakfast burrito's or chimi-changa's
    I'll get you one of each.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Douche Yearly Supporter Sortarican's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~Barn~ View Post
    Sounds like a distinct possibility. Is the tape for insulating it somehow, after it's installed?.
    Used to seal the threads.
    Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

Has delusions of Kawi grandeur konichd's Avatar

^^^Teflon tape is used wherever you are screwing in a sensor to a wet application (coolant, oil, etc.) to prevent leaks. Also known as "plumbers tape" to the average folk.
    303 Cycle | FaceBook | Twitter | Google Plus |

MRA #161 : 2014 Sponsors - Bell, Knox, Silkolene, Forma Boots, Chicken Hawk Racing, Bazzaz

Ah ha. Well teflon tape it is, then!

Can you text me, or PM me your number DK, so I can have it again. I never got yours replaced after I donated my last phone to the ski gods.

And thanks for your offer to help as well, Dana. If you still think the whole flush/fill is a good idea, instead of just a top off, lemme know and I'll do it... err.... get help with it.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

Ah ha. Well teflon tape it is, then!

Can you text me, or PM me your number DK, so I can have it again. I never got yours replaced after I donated my last phone to the ski gods.

And thanks for your offer to help as well, Dana. If you still think the whole flush/fill is a good idea, instead of just a top off, lemme know and I'll do it... err.... get help with it.
    Damn Barn, did you and I date in an earlier life? You remind me of some old girlfriends. Of course, they offered more than Chimichangas and burritos for working on their cars. Maybe DK would take you up on an offer like that? He does ride a Kawasaki after all.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

No Adam. If that were the case, I would have just called you direct and used my sexy voice.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

No Adam. If that were the case, I would have just called you direct and used my sexy voice.
    I've not heard the sexy voice in a long time... a long time.
    1989 Honda Hawk,2005 crf250x supermoto

It is better to communicate good information than to offer misinformation in the name of good communication. Alastair B Fraser

DIS-MEMBERED
    (Banned)

Crash the A4 baby!

Get the new STI 305hp awd, you can't go wrong, its a subie, they run forever.

I wish it were that easy, but I'm not really fond of doubling my car payment right now.

Although If I did euthanize the Quattro, I'd opt for the Leggy GT Limited, rather than the boy-racer. I'm getting sensible in my old age.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson

So.... does anybody know where this part actually goes? I bought it.... We looked for it.... We didn't find it.

Anyone have an idea whurr this little sensor plugs in at? Or can point me in the right direction towards finding a .pdf service manual or whatever.
    ~Brandon~
    (720) 935-6438
    Melissa Holbrook Pierson