Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My ever so brief love affair with an 1125R, Buell, and High Country HD/Buell

My ever so brief love affair with an 1125R, Buell, and High Country HD/Buell

An ode to High Country Harley Davidson / Buell.

So it all started with the dawn of a new spring and the desire to get a bike that does more in and around town then the zx-14. I started looking around and fell in love with the new Buell 1125R. I Read numerous reviews, lurked the Buell forums all in the search of knowledge about the new offering by Buell. The bike sounded like an absolute blast and I had to check it out. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I learn that High Country Harley Davidson / Buell has a demo 1125R for demo so I take off and cruise up to Firestone to kick the tires. The sales man was nice, knowledgeable and not at all put off by my interest in the HD/Rotax bastard child. I take it for a spin and all I can say is wow... what a fun bike. Comfortable, lots of torque... what else can I say. I leave pleasantly surprised and generally interested in the bike.

So I spend the next week contacting my credit union to get approved for a new loan, calling about insurance rates, and emailing the salesman about trade in values on the 14. All comes back good so I plan to roll up there on Saturday to make a deal. Well, Saturday comes and its cold as all get out... may be fine for a jaunt down to Fay to watch Britton, but not a ride up to Firestone so I call a buddy and load the 14 into the back of the truck. We roll up to HCHDB and this is where it gets interesting.

We stand around for almost a half an hour before I can even speak with the salesman, get the bike off the truck while enduring the ever so expected taunting about buying a real bike from the service techs, among other minor annoying but easily overlooked issues. Finally, I sit down with the finance guy. First off, the email my credit union wasn't good enough and neither was the payoff for the 14. Funny, because it's no different than the paperwork I used to get the 14. Well we go back and forth for the better part of an hour and I finally agree to finance through HD knowing full well that I can refi with my credit union on Monday. Annoying has now become irritating with the constantly repeating notion that "they've been burned before" and "that's not how they do business"... unlike any other dealership I've ever dealt with.

Next, the finance guy asks if I have insurance. Well of course, I have a policy on the 14. He asks about the 1125R. Well how can I have insurance on a bike I don't own? So he starts throwing down policy quotes. I'm not interested in buying insurance; I'm interested in buying a bike. I already have insurance and CO state law allows a 14 day carry over to get the new bike under my name. Again with the "that's not how we do business" and "we've been burned before". So I call State Farm while sitting in the finance office and set up the policy. State Farm faxes over a certificate of insurance. The finance guy grabs the insurance fax, flips back and forth for a couple of minutes then announced in quite a condescending manner that it's not good enough... heard that before. I ask what the problem is. Apparently, the form State Farm uses doesn't have the new lien holder on it and the finance guy explains that they won't get paid if they don't have a binder. Like they're going to get a check on a Saturday night as soon as the deal is done. I call State Farm back, put the cell on speakerphone and have the finance guy and State Farm battle it out. They go back and forth for a couple of minutes and get absolutely nothing accomplished. He then presents me with the quote for insurance and I again explain that I'm not interested in buying insurance. Well, he wanders off to the GM's office and then comes back and states that my insurance just won't do... I've had State Farm for over 16 years and it's always been just fine... I guess that's not how they do business.

Finally, in a moment of utter frustration, I ask for my keys back and step away from the table. I have never had so many difficulties trying to buy a bike. I go outside, get my gear out of the truck and start putting it on. I'm so frustrated; I don't even want to take the time to load the bike back into the truck. The salesman comes out and tries to sooth the situation... no help. I again explain that I was interested in buying a bike, not insurance. Nothing I did was unique and that I'm in a financial situation that buying this bike should prove to be no problem. Again with the "we've been burned in the past"... I'm thinking they need to use it as a marketing slogan because it seems to be ever so present on the lips of every employee in the place.

So my buddy drives my truck back while I freeze my ass off heading back to Aurora. On the ride back I had some time to think. I've never been treated like so much of a criminal by a dealership. I'm sorry that they feel the need to treat their customers in such a fashion. My anger and dismay grow along with a strong dislike for the bike that I had so much fun on a week earlier. I've bought bikes from numerous dealerships and have NEVER been treated in such a way. I would have expected a bit more scrutiny if I was dropping 30K on some chromed out pig, but this was a 12K bike... probably one of the cheapest bikes in the dealership. I didn't realize that the economy was going so strong that they had a line out the door waiting to buy bikes. BTW, the finance guy had 4 deals for the week on his little marker board... including mine (or what would have been mine).

I now have no more love for this bike, the dealership, or the manufacturer if this is how they choose to conduct business.

So take my experience as what it was... mine. If you've had good dealings with this dealership, good for ya mate. I for one am not accustomed to being treated like a criminal or vagrant while trying to buy a bike. That's not how I do business. So, if some time in the distant future, Buell happens to trip my trigger, there is absolutely no way my shadow will ever darken the door of High Country Harley Davidson / Buell again.

I just wanted to share my experiences so that no one else will have to suffer the same problems.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Re: My ever so brief love affair with an 1125R, Buell, and High Country HD/Buell

What douchebags. f 'em.

Re: My ever so brief love affair with an 1125R, Buell, and High Country HD/Buell

I owned a HARDLEY and was always treated like shit because I was 19 when I bought it and they did the same shit, I got rid of it quickly, I would write to Buell and explain the problems you encountered, I would never step foot into another HD Dealership, when I buy my dad gifts I order online, I think all of the dealerships are bs.
    2006 Kawasaki 636

I used to work for Boulder HD, and they were owned by High Country HD. The owner is a dick, and he's more than happy to screw over people. I'm not that surprised by your story. After he shut down the boulder shop he had everybody move over to high country. So there are about 3 or 4 good people there, but that's it. Most of them are a pain in the ass. It is a cool bike though.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    We stand around for almost a half an hour before I can even speak with the salesman, get the bike off the truck while enduring the ever so expected taunting about buying a real bike from the service techs, among other minor annoying but easily overlooked issues.
    I don't really think that those techs would think that the Buell is a "real bike" either.

From all that I've read about it, it appears to be an interesting bike and I like it's looks. I just can't imagine buying one through an HD dealer. I can't imagine going in there with my full riding gear on and getting service, buying parts, etc.

If Buells were sold by stand alone dealers, then maybe. Not as a part of HD, not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by KennyFish View Post
    I would write to Buell and explain the problems you encountered

I would love to, unfortunately the only email address on Buell's website is for technical issues with the website.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!

Wow..what a shitty experience! Thanks for the heads-up on this poorly ran dealership. Word of mouth carries a lot of weight, especially coming from someone who's opinion is respected. Good write up.
    Last edited by *GSXR~SNAIL*; Mon Apr 14th, 2008 at 10:27 PM.
    Liberty never came from government. The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty is a history of limitations of government power, not the increase of it. Woodrow Wilson, September 9th, 1912

"The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, dickheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude."

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    I would love to, unfortunately the only email address on Buell's website is for technical issues with the website.
    customer service number (414)343-8400

I'd be willing to bet Court on badweb would LOVE to hear this story- he works for Buell, and has been known to take a hand in situations like this.

I had a long post typed up and lost it somehow, so here's the high points:

I hope you don't really let one bunch of asshats turn you off a great bike- asshats are a dime a dozen, but a bike that carves a smile on your face is a rare and wonderful treasure.

If you like, I'll ask around and find a dealership that sells Buells and knows how to treat a customer. I've had good luck with Sun HD so far, but I've only dealt with parts and service- nice folks at both desks. I hear good things about RMHD occasionally too, but I've never been there.

I've called Buell, after a disagreement with the Stealership I bought my Buell from about a warranty claim on my muffler. Buell flat out said my race can wasn't covered, but they had been replacing them anyway if anything went wrong with 'em until they ran out (this was about 6 months after the race kits were discontinued). Buell may be a part of the Harley Davidson Motor Company, but they do NOT have the same mentality of absolute lack of customer service. Buell in my experience treats their customers *very* well. The trick is getting around the HD assholes.

If I might make a suggestion- cool out for a couple weeks, and then test ride another 1125R (or even a 12R) and see if it grabs you by the short and curlies again. Find a decent dealership (I'll help if you like) and do the deal.

If you do decide to give Buell another chance- welcome to the wonderful world of confused expressions, strange looks and people asking you what kind of bike that is!

Merlyn

-- Apparently the BMC spokesman for the CSC ::grin::
    - 2006 Buell XB12R Firebolt: Elvira, the Gothic XB

"It is caffeine alone that sets my mind in motion.
    It is through beans of java that thoughts acquire speed,
    that hands acquire shakes,
    that shakes become a warning...
    I am... IN CONTROL... OF MY ADDICTION!"

Thanks Merlin... I thought about putting this on Badweb, but figured it wouldn't make for a good first post... Hi my name is Salsa and I hate everything you like!

I thought I had found a good dealership. The salesman rocked when I demoed the bike, but seemed rather unconcerned when I came back. On a related note, the GM called me this afternoon and apologized for how things went down. I told him of my issues and informed him that there was really nothing that could get me back into the dealership. Life's too short to have to put up with that. I stopped by Foothills BMW a while back just to look around and they remembered my name from buying my Sprint several years ago. If I'm going to drop money on a bike, I want it to go to people who offer some small amount of customer service and know how to treat a customer. I'm not one of those "All Hail the Mighty Customer" people either. I don't want people to kiss my ass, but some amount of respect is certainly expected and appreciated.

The 1125R seems to be a great bike, but it's not the only one out there that can accomplish what I want. hmmmm maybe a Speed Triple could be in my future... who knows.

New HD dealer locations are required by HD to carry Buell for two years. After that, the dealers tend to rid themselves of the product as it kills floor space on bikes sold for twice as much.

I had a similar issue with a Saturn dealer on the new Sky. They tried to jack the car up 5k over advertised price saying it was a limited-production, high-demand sports car.

The GM told me that he could afford to raise the price because, "Pigs get fat, and hogs get slaughtered." I took my deposit back.

To bad about your experience at HCHD. The 1125 is a well designed bike. Perhaps one will pop up with a few miles on it and 2k off the price.
    MSF-RiderCoach,TOTAL CONTROL Advanced Riding Clinic-Level 1/Level 2 Instructor

Ricky Orlando Motorcycle School,
    Rider Workshop-USA

Suspension Academy Graduate 1 + 1 = 3
    Writer, 2008 MRA Season Program-Feature Article, "The Colorado Sportbike Club"
    *Mngr., TerraNova Team Racing, MRA #112 Andrew Gillespie, Novice GTU Champion/Rookie of the Year-2007
    Member: AMA
    Red Cross--Disaster Assessment Team Captain, CPR, AED, First Aid, Veteran-USAF-K-9 Handler

This weekend only! The "We have been burned before" Sales Event. This weekend only High County Harley Davidson will royal screw you out of a bike deal! Come down today and we will show you how "We do business"!

Lol, I could imagine this as there promotion because of there favorite phrases. HD dealership will always have the "1%ers" there to buy their over prices bikes because they are "real" bikes...
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Salsa -

Don't give up on the Buell. They're fun bikes (and that 1125R :drool)!
    I second what Merlyn has said about calling Buell customer service. I've had the run-around from the HD stealers (High Country in particular), and that call will generally put things right. An email to Court might not be a bad idea either.
    If you aren't COMPLETELY done with Buell, call Sun HD (303-287-7567) and ask for Reed Holmes. He's a stand-up guy who loves Buell, and has always treated me well (he used to work for HCHD, and while he won't say anything BAD about them, you can tell he has no love for them). He's the reason Sun went from ONE Buell in the showroom to SEVEN. He "gets it".
    Last edited by elf; Tue Apr 15th, 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Salsa -

Don't
    don't what?

anything.

(see edited reply above)

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 64BonnieLass's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your experience Salsa. That REALLY sucks and I can only imagine the frustration. What a bummer. I wonder how many bikes they actually sell, if they make it that hard to actually try and purchase one.
    "Keep that "what if" thought in the back of your mind; it's the angel on your shoulder balancing the devil in your right hand."

"There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those."

2005 SV650S Street

Lol, go get the Buell from another dealership, then ride it over the HCHD and show them how other dealership "do business" and rub it in
    "Ride Naked!"
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 (Fazer)
    1984 Kawasaki 250 4-stroke enduro
    1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L V8 (Gas Whore)

Quote Originally Posted by RyNo24 View Post
    Lol, go get the Buell from another dealership, then ride it over the HCHD and show them how other dealership "do business" and rub it in
    tempting...

taken off early today to go ride and kick tires... who knows where I'll end up.

My guess would be on a Speed Triple or a 1125r. That's just me thinking out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by King Nothing View Post
    My guess would be on a Speed Triple or a 1125r. That's just me thinking out loud.

I saw a black S.T. in Castle Rock yesterday.....sexay.....

Yet more reasons not to buy new. It's bad enough that a new bike loses 20% of it's value before the ink dries on the sales order, and that they try to load the loan with all kinds of "maintenance packages" and extended warranties that they'll try to refuse to honor down the road, but to be treated like that when you are obviously not a teen aged squid trying to trade up from a roadrashed 85 600 Ninja with 60k miles on it, is just a little too much. Your patience level with the dealership regarding your treatment makes you a candidate for sainthood. I fear I would have pretty much come unglued.
    Thanks, Jim
    TFOG Wheelsports, LLC
    www.tfogracing.com
    303-216-2400

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "undocumented pharmacist"

Say what again... Site Admin rforsythe's Avatar

+1 to what Jim said, I wouldn't have lasted that long - except maybe for pure comedic value and a good story to post on here. The ironic part is that their "we've been burned in the past" mentality is burning them now, because nobody wants to deal with asshats.
    Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous
    than sincere ignorance
    and conscientious stupidity.
    - Martin Luther King, Jr.

disce quasi semper victurus vive quasi cras moriturus

The return of MRA #321! Sponsored by Western Ambulance, Chicane Trackdays, and a very patient wife...

There were several times when I was ready to leave, but then the deal seemed to show progress. I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and allow them to work their angles to a point. I guess my breaking point is a bit further out then some... I think you're right Ralph, after a while it just became comedic.