Thread: 00 R1 Wont start

00 R1 Wont start

Hey Guys, I am new here and was directed to join by a buddy. I am having some issues with my 00 R1. Last year right before winter came I was in a long ride with some buddies and the regulator/rectifier started to go out. Luckily I was able to get home by using his battery to start my bike a few times. I let it sit in the garage during winter and it did started it once every few weeks to make sure the battery kept good until one day it wouldn't start anymore, it just cranked. During the winter it pretty much sat.

Now that summer is here I finally got around to replacing the rectifier and soldered in a new plug, if you are familiar this is a common problem. Now the bike does the same thing as it did the last time, it just cranks. Battery has been on a battery tender and is fully charged. I drained the fuel out of the tank and replaced it with fresh fuel. I pulled the plugs and will be picking up new ones tomorrow, but bike has spark when I tested both coils.

Any other suggestions or possibilities to troubleshoot the issue would be appreciated it.

Mods on the bike are as follows: ~6900, Jet kit, and Full Akrapovic exhaust.

Thanks,
    Eddy

Only here for the free Wi-Fi Site Admin Spiderman's Avatar

Re: 00 R1 Wont start

Welcome.

Are you sure the new regulator/rectifier is good? I had a similar problem on my 99 R6. A replacement rectifier solved the problem, but the only way I know to test it, is to get it running, and put a volt-meter on the battery (if it reads higher than 12v while it's revved, then the new rectifier is working, otherwise it's not).

Even tho your battery has been kept on a battery tender, it may not be holding enough of a charge. You could try jumping it, either from another bike, or an unstarted car. I'd look at the battery next.

Good luck.
    Bob <------ Asshole Nazi devil moderator out to get each and every one of you
         - 2002 Yamaha R1 (92K+ miles... bought new) ---------------------------------------->
         - 2015 Yamaha Bolt C-Spec (Cafe Racer)
         - 2004 Yamaha R6 (racebike)
         - 2006 Yamaha R1 (racebike)
    R.I.P. 502
    ~ Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out, it isn't the end.

Re: 00 R1 Wont start

I replaced the spark plugs with new ones today after work and they did the trick. Bike started right up and I took it for a ride to the gas station to top off the tank.