Thread: Suomy USA Gone Out of Business

Suomy USA Gone Out of Business

July 2, 2008

Suomy USA announces today, that effective immediately, it has ceased operation and no longer represents Suomy Spa, Suomy Helmets or its distributors. Suomy USA will no longer be responsible for customer service, warranty, product support, sales training, sponsorships or anything associated with Suomy helmets whatsoever.

Rick Marlin, Director of Suomy USA - "We are sad to end our long standing cooperation with the Suomy Spa and our distribution partners. However, the 5th consecutive year of a very weak dollar and a slumping economy have worked against us, and while I have made significant personal sacrifices to keep the doors open hoping things would turn around, I'm simply not in a position to carry on."

Rick Marlin first imported Suomy Helmets into the USA in 1998 through Gearbox International, then a completely unknown brand in the USA. "We are proud of our accomplishments with Suomy - our mission was to position the brand as a relevant competitor to Shoei and Arai's best, and establish a national distribution network. With Suomy Helmets being the #1 performing helmet in a well known national Helmet Satisfaction study 5 years in a row, and establishing national distribution partners such as Parts Unlimited, Van Leeuwen Enterprises and Romaha Importer and Distributors, we can leave knowing we attained those goals and more."

Those goals and more, indeed. Suomy was the first modern premium helmet to be established in the US market, not with the Snell approval rating, but with the British standard - the venerable BSI 6658 Type A standard. In doing so, Rick Marlin and Suomy USA demonstrated that the more demanding, alternative European standards could be sold in the USA and effectively knocked down the old myths about Snell and truly started the conversation of alternative helmet standards now so widely discussed in all the major industry magazines. Say Rick, "I am certain that we at Suomy USA, and Suomy Spa put the helmet standard discussion firmly into the minds of the American consumer, and in doing so I will leave a lasting legacy to the improved safety of every motorcyclist in the USA. This is an area of which I am most proud."

Suomy helmets will continue to be made available and serviced in the USA directly from it distribution partners.

Rick Marlin continues as Director of Modern World Ventures, a would leader in optical insert technologies www.modernworld.com and as Director of Maric Group, a consulting firm providing services for overseas helmet manufacturers seeking innovative assistance with sales training, brand development, distribution and marketing (www.maric-group.com).
    Remember Yesterday. Plan For Tomorrow. Live For Today.

Current Stable:

'o5 SuzukiGSX-1oooR
    (Custom Street Fighter).
    'o6 Pitster Pro 50cc Pit Bike (125cc Big Bore Kit).

aka - The Devil Lifetime Supporter
    Site Admin

Re: Suomy USA Gone Out of Business

Yup,

I learned about this a couple months ago when my sponsorship agreement with them was cancelled. Suomy will still service their product and they will continue to be available in the US. They also are still offering trackside support for their national racers.

AKA "Devaclis"

That sucks. There needs to be more, BETTER, helmet competition out there.
    First rule of the internet: *bleep* you and everything you stand for. Second rule of the internet: FKZOR U AND RRYTHING U STND FR!

Damn, that sucks. I got to meet Rick at last years R2SL event at Miller. It's good to see that he still has other opportunities. As far as national racing support, it's good to see that Donny and hopefully Jay still have jobs. Suomy helmets are awesome.
    Elden (The Superchink) MRA #415 / AFM #102

Do you want to take your riding to the next level?
    http://chicanetrackdays.com/

Unique Track Day event to benefit children!!!
    http://www.racing2savelives.org/

Don't think I'll miss umm.
    ILLMATIC RACING

That does suck, but at least they have other opportunities as someone said earlier and the helmets will still be available.