Thread: Bikes VS Bikes

Wink Bikes VS Bikes

Hello Just an opinion. I read in a motorcycle magazine and it was comparing the Honda CBR VS the Yamaha R6. In the interview both bikes were very comparable. Both bikes had ups and downs to them. I am looking at the Yamaha R6s or R6. What do you think of the 2 bikes? They are both great. Just wondering. Take care
    What, What, What? Okeyyyyyyyyyy

Re: Bikes VS Bikes

R6 vs R6s....... the $1000+ higher price....and, they really are very different bikes. Consider the R6s will soon be the bike ready for the shelf while the R6 has already seen changes since being unveiled in 06.

Honestly, ride the two, and see what YOU like. I have the R6 and love it, but admit, the forward lean of the seat and additional aggressive position over the R6s takes alot of getting used too for long rides.

All in all, I got what I got for many reasons and love the bike.

Also......big question, WHAT is your rider experience/history. If you are newer to bikes, stay with the S model as you will not even notice a performance difference between the two. my 2 cents.
    Last edited by atrainthornton; Sun Apr 27th, 2008 at 01:04 PM.

bikes - yes, 6 of them
    motorcycle - obviously
    Cage - FJ Cruiser

"You can always find me out doing something vs. sitting at home wondering what I should be out doing"
    "If you never ask the hard questions, how will you even know the real answers"

Quote Originally Posted by atrainthornton View Post
    R6 vs R6s....... the $1000+ higher price....and, they really are very different bikes. Consider the R6s will soon be the bike ready for the shelf while the R6 has already seen changes since being unveiled in 06.

Honestly, ride the two, and see what YOU like. I have the R6 and love it, but admit, the forward lean of the seat and additional aggressive position over the R6s takes alot of getting used too for long rides.

Also......big question, WHAT is your rider experience/history. If you are newer to bikes, stay with the S model as you will not even notice a performance difference between the two. my 2 cents.
    Thanks for the 2 cents lol. My rider exp is not big I am a beginner. I rode scooters and ATV's for ever. I have been a pasenger on bikes for a while. I was told by every dealer that the R6s is great for beginners, I don't know how. The frames are built different. The exhaust pipe is shorter. I don't know if their really is a difference of the 2. Their is a huge price diff I think the speed and power are the same. I know Vickory has it a $1,000 cheaper then the R6. The Honda CBR has been rated for better upright position for riding long trips. Thanks forf the tip. Take care and please ride safe. " NO MORE DOWN RIDERS UNLESS IT IS BY A TORNADO AND IT TAKES YOU TO KANSAS TO VISIT TOTTO" Just kidding ride safe.

if you walk into a dealership and tell them that you are a beginner, they're gonna tell you any bike is good for beginners. You should probably consider a smaller 250 or 500cc bike, at most an SV650 if it's your first bike. You can always sell & upgrade, it's cheaper than making an costly mistake on a less forgiving bike like the inline 4's
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MetaLord 9 View Post
    if you walk into a dealership and tell them that you are a beginner, they're gonna tell you any bike is good for beginners. You should probably consider a smaller 250 or 500cc bike, at most an SV650 if it's your first bike. You can always sell & upgrade, it's cheaper than making an costly mistake on a less forgiving bike like the inline 4's
    wuss...
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

GENERAL INFORMATION YZF-R6S YZF-R6 Manufacturer Yamaha Yamaha Model Year 2008 2008 Model YZF-R6S YZF-R6 M.S.R.P. $8,299.00 $9,599.00 ENGINE Engine Liquid-cooled, 16-valve, DOHC, in-line 4-cylinder Liquid-cooled inline 4-cylinder, DOHC, 16 titanium valves Displacement 600 cc 599 cc Bore x Stroke 65.5 x 44.5 mm 67 x 42.5 mm Compression Ratio 12.4:1 13.1:1 Carburetion Fuel injection Fuel injection with YCC-T and YCC-I Clutch Multi-plate wet Multi-plate slipper Ignition Digital DC-CDI TCI DIMENSIONS Length 79.7 in. 80.3 in. Width 27.1 in. 27.6 in. Height 42.9 in. 43.3 in. Weight 357 lbs. (CA 359 lbs.) 366 lbs. Wheelbase 54.3 in. 54.3 in. Fuel Capacity 4.5 gal. 4.6 gal. Seat Height 32.3 in. 33.5 in. DRIVETRAIN Transmission 6-speed 6-speed Final Drive Chain #525 O-ring chain Suspension Front: 43 mm fork; fully adjustable; 4.7 in. travel
    Rear: Single shock; fully-adjustable; 4.7 in. travel Front: 41 mm inverted fork; 4-way adjustable; 4.7 in. travel
    Rear: Single shock; 4-way adjustable; 4.7 in. travel BRAKES/WHEELS/TIRES Brakes Front: Dual 298 mm floating disc with 4-piston calipers
    Rear: 220 mm disc with single piston caliper Front: Dual 310 mm floating discs with radial mount 4-piston calipers
    Rear: 220 mm disc with single piston caliper Tires Front: 120/60-ZR17
    Rear: 180/55-ZR17 Front: 120/70-ZR17
    Rear: 180/55-ZR17 Rake 24° (caster angle) 24° (caster angle) Trail 3.4 in. 3.8 in. Colors Team Yamaha Blue, Raven Two-tone Team Yamaha Blue / White, Raven, Liquid Silver, Cadmium Yellow with Flames (see Options for color pricing)

...and?
    [SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Please man......your rider experience is very low as you stated and you are comparing the top 600 class bikes. Do you even realize how they really do perform vs. a 500 cc other than "specs" on a sales sheet and "look". Does that sales guy really care what you ride or wha happens to you....hell....MANY of them do not even ride on the street and will BS on what they ride and how good of a rider they are. Comission pays the bills for them.
    Also, think about this.....the comment about the R6s is for BEGINNERS....um yeah, right. The R6s was Yamaha's top 600cc bike up until the 06 came out...redesigned to stay infront of the other manufactures.
    Comparing specs for the R6 to the R6s is a joke. They are completely different bikes, but the R6s WAS the top 600 bike too a few years ago. NOT a beginner bike.
    There is so much debate on this board about what people should get for a first bike or even progression.
    Half of us will recommend a smaller bike or less powerful 600 for a first bike for learnign to ride/safety/enjoyment and the other half will give shit about a smaller bike simply because they have no other place to take out their anger except on a forum, their wife owns them and are all pent up at home, or they get off on giving people shit and are actually pussies hiding behind their computer to get a rise out of the other end and start arguements for thier own fun.
    You said it yourself in the reply above about "staying safe".....Right back at you!
    What is the hurry in a top class bike when you may not even appreciate the bike or how to ride it.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=21593 exampe starting smaler then moving up
    Last edited by atrainthornton; Sun Apr 27th, 2008 at 08:17 PM.

bikes - yes, 6 of them
    motorcycle - obviously
    Cage - FJ Cruiser

"You can always find me out doing something vs. sitting at home wondering what I should be out doing"

Please man......your rider experience is very low as you stated and you are comparing the top 600 class bikes. Do you even realize how they really do perform vs. a 500 cc other than "specs" on a sales sheet and "look". Does that sales guy really care what you ride or wha happens to you....hell....MANY of them do not even ride on the street and will BS on what they ride and how good of a rider they are. Comission pays the bills for them.
    Also, think about this.....the comment about the R6s is for BEGINNERS....um yeah, right. The R6s was Yamaha's top 600cc bike up until the 06 came out...redesigned to stay infront of the other manufactures.
    Comparing specs for the R6 to the R6s is a joke. They are completely different bikes, but the R6s WAS the top 600 bike too a few years ago. NOT a beginner bike.
    There is so much debate on this board about what people should get for a first bike or even progression.
    Half of us will recommend a smaller bike or less powerful 600 for a first bike for learnign to ride/safety/enjoyment and the other half will give shit about a smaller bike simply because they have no other place to take out their anger except on a forum, their wife owns them and are all pent up at home, or they get off on giving people shit and are actually pussies hiding behind their computer to get a rise out of the other end and start arguements for thier own fun.
    You said it yourself in the reply above about "staying safe".....Right back at you!
    What is the hurry in a top class bike when you may not even appreciate the bike or how to ride it.

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forum...ad.php?t=21593 exampe starting smaler then moving up
    Your right, appreciate your honesty I do not get that much. Does Yamaha make a 500cc street bike? I aksed a motorcycle instructor about the bike and he said a 600 is a good bike to start on or lower cc. I get what your saying thanks. I will take the rider safety course before I purchase the bike and ride them all. That is when I will find out what bike is good for me. Thanks for the info. I hope I can go on some trips. I was even looking at the FZ6 maybe that is what I should buy. What eve rbike I buy I will enjoy I just have to test ride them. First thing is to take the class then test the bikes out. I can always sell and upgrade in the future. I am buying a Yamaha so the resale value should be great right????
    Last edited by r6srider; Sun Apr 27th, 2008 at 08:31 PM.

Cool....The FZ6 would be a good bike if staying with Yamaha and good outlook on upgrading and on taking the course/talking with the instructors!!!
    Good luck

bikes - yes, 6 of them
    motorcycle - obviously
    Cage - FJ Cruiser

get a 03 gsxr1000 that way when you go down and want to part it out to me.

Just kidding. I recommend the FZ6 as well. It was my first bike. Bought with never even riding a motorcycle before. Had it delivered on base and practiced in the parking lot that night. Was on the road off base within 30mins. Although I grew out of it because I was soon looking for a super sport riding experience and not so much sport touring. Would I have kept the bike if for not some pedestrians crossing the road in the California mountains, I would have loved to have kept it. Fun bike, easy to ride, and larger capacity fuel tank then most sport bikes.
    2006 DRZ SM
    2003 RIZLA GSX-R 1000 (sold)
    2008 R6

I don't know very much about the CBR, I'm sure you can google it..

Here is what I dug up on the Yamaha "R6'es"

99-02 R6 = 1st Gen

2003-2004 R6 = 2nd gen, 2003 was the first year for this model

2005 R6 = Improvements to 2003/2004 -- Engine upgrades (3 hp?!!), adjustable inverted fork (yea !!), lighter better brakes, bigger front tire (70), style changes

2006 R6S and 2007 R6S = re-release of 2003/2004 R6 with few if any of the the 05 improvements.

2006/2007 R6 = third generation R6, rev law suite on the 06, throttle system and slipper clutch , style changes, a few more HP, exhaust, blah blah blah

Correct me if I said anything wrong.

These bikes won't get you a new better girl friend, make you look more cool, get you a promotion at work, or less time at the chiropractor after a 400 mile day.

IMHO, I think the (yzf) R6/R6S or similar bikes in this class are not good bikes for beginners. The riding position is not great, can't see what is around you very well, too much gas and you will be in trouble....

+1 FZ6

Like I need your support

Cool....The FZ6 would be a good bike if staying with Yamaha and good outlook on upgrading and on taking the course/talking with the instructors!!!
    Good luck
    Thanks for looking out for my well being. Last thing I need is a wreak cause the bike was too powerful. Do you remember on E TV when Paris Hilton rode the chopper bike on the red carpet and crashed it. That was funny I bet she can't even ride a big wheel lol. The FZ is even cheaper it will help me get a loan as well. It will be this summer when I purchase it. Next year I will upgrade to the R6 or R1 when I am good. I might even donate the FZ next year to the CSC for funding programs.

Quote Originally Posted by r6srider View Post
    Thanks for looking out for my well being. Last thing I need is a wreak cause the bike was too powerful. Do you remember on E TV when Paris Hilton rode the chopper bike on the red carpet and crashed it. That was funny I bet she can't even ride a big wheel lol. The FZ is even cheaper it will help me get a loan as well. It will be this summer when I purchase it. Next year I will upgrade to the R6 or R1 when I am good. I might even donate the FZ next year to the CSC for funding programs.

YIKES there buckaroo !! Let's hold off on the R1 cowboy. The YZF will last you a few years, get your money from it....

Like I need your support

IMO, before concerning yourself with engine displacement or trim levels, you need to ask yourself what kind of rider you are... or in your case, will be. Do you have the self control one needs to keep themselves in check while learning how to ride? Are you going to lack the self control that will keep you safe out on the roads?

250, 500, 600, 750, 1000, 1400, whatever... if you can't control your throttle, you'll kill yourself on anything. My first sportbike was a liter bike and I never looked back. I demoed a 675 a couple of weeks ago and felt like a bear on a circus bike.

You've seen and read it numerous times, take the MSF, find a bike that fits you and you're comfortable on and ride it... if that's a 250 so be it... if larger, fine then whatever. You just need to remember that a bike alone, just like a gun, never killed anyone. There is always human interference involved, whether this is the rider or outside person.

Leave your ego in the garage and you're most likely going to come home to it. Take the courses (MSF, Star, Total Control... the list goes on and on), learn to ride your ride (both physical and mental), and don't concern yourself with being the biggest bad ass out on the road.
    Do not put off living the life you dream of. Next year may never come. If we are always waiting for something to change...
    Retirement, the kids to leave home, the weather or the economy, that's not living. That's waiting!
    Waiting will only leaves us with unrealized dreams and empty wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by salsashark View Post
    IMO, before concerning yourself with engine displacement or trim levels, you need to ask yourself what kind of rider you are... or in your case, will be. Do you have the self control one needs to keep themselves in check while learning how to ride? Are you going to lack the self control that will keep you safe out on the roads?

250, 500, 600, 750, 1000, 1400, whatever... if you can't control your throttle, you'll kill yourself on anything. My first sportbike was a liter bike and I never looked back. I demoed a 675 a couple of weeks ago and felt like a bear on a circus bike.

You've seen and read it numerous times, take the MSF, find a bike that fits you and you're comfortable on and ride it... if that's a 250 so be it... if larger, fine then whatever. You just need to remember that a bike alone, just like a gun, never killed anyone. There is always human interference involved, whether this is the rider or outside person.

Leave your ego in the garage and you're most likely going to come home to it. Take the courses (MSF, Star, Total Control... the list goes on and on), learn to ride your ride (both physical and mental), and don't concern yourself with being the biggest bad ass out on the road.
    Eric
    CSBA#477
    00 Triumph Sprint RS
    www.cocsba.com